Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow what can I say! Only just got back from driving it all night and im still smiling!!!!!!!!! [:D][;)][:D]

Right I'll start from the top. Had my custom re-map booked in this morning for my PD100 golf TDI. Im thinking on the way if it makes 140bhp I'll be over the moon, with a nice dollop of torque but didn't want to dream to much as I heard from someone on here they over quote their figures. So anyway I turned into the establishement kinda different to what I expected. Basically approach kinda a small dirt track off a main road, where their are a couple of units - just different was expecting them to be on a huge industrial estate or something. Ample room though which makes it ideal I suppose. Anyway besides the point, I was greeted by Nick and someone else who instantly made me feel at ease. (Although one of them turned up in a new mini, kinda bizzare lol! Was expected a VW at least! [:p])

Staff were really friendly, and I was cheeky enough to ask if I could use one of their computers for internet access to check my email. Upstairs in the waiting room, there it was sitting waiting for me the xbox lol! Really nice waiting area with a sofa, dvds, xbox games, magazines, trophies, customer testemonials - a proper batchelar pad lol. So I hand over the keys, and enjoy the luxuries - really thought I'd be bored out my skin how wrong I was. During the course of the morning whoch flew by I noticed they had endless phone calls about people trying to book in for a re-map (they can only fit 2 a day morning/afternoon due to the length of time if takes to perform) which assures me is a good sign as their so popular and the earliest they could do was end of October! Mental! They carry out all tyoes of mechanical and servicing work to - so if you buy an induction kit from them they can also fit it for you ect... Plus they do major servicing, going to consider them for my 90k such a shame their not based closer to me.

So nearly three hours pass in which time I've heard my car on the rollers at leat six or seven times now. The tuning chap walks in and looks at me with a smile on his face, I just knew I'd be pleased from what he was going to tell me. So he goes through the figures with me and wow im very impressed!!! Bare in mind my car is totally standard engine wise:

Standard Run =
100.1bhp & 174lb/ft

Custom Map =
150.2bhp & 270lb/ft

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

What can I say Im delighted with the power and was pleasently surprised in how much he'd gain from it. So I quicly pay up and jump in the car to see how it reacts... I know you've heard it all before but FLIPPING HECK what a diffence its like im driving a totally different engine its transformed it! Wheel spins in 2nd with my 16's on and it never even wheelspan in first! LOL! Its an animal, can't even begin to imagine what a 130 or 150 PD would be like chipped! So a big shout out to Jabba who have really put a big smile on my face so far. I'll report any problems, but so far im as happy as Larry! [:p]

·
Registered
414 Posts
Fran, they are very expensive and arkward to fit. There is room though.

The performance of the intercooler is not as good as the front mount, but you will not gain power because of the front mount's size, it will merely stop you from losing it on very hot days. With most of the weather in the UK not that hot, it shouldn't be a problem.

I spoke to Mike at Jabba about this, and he said that for any car with the standard turbo's you will be fine with the side mount. Unless you go track-daying.

Andy

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Nice report mate. Sound just the job and Im booking it for end Oct early Nov as suits me (in no immediate rush).

I was seriously considering getting a large front mount intercooler before the custom remap, but was put off the idea at a recent meet at VW bury st edmunds, where my engine mates said it will produce alot of LAG. Dont want that as only just got rid of it ALL by decating with my full milltek and k&n.

GT 130 (soon to be JABBA tuned)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds good. You got some staggering results there!!!

Jabba are based litterally 15mins from my house, so i`ll have to pay them a visit.

What did they say about the stock clutch? Surely that extra 100 of torque will make the clutch slip?

It was good to hear that they dyno`d your car 6 or 7 times and took 3hours. I was wondering why places charged 400quid for remaps. I figured most places charge around 30quid for a rolling road session, then all they`d do is look at the results, flash the chip with its new settings then rolling road again to check the results. Hardly worth 400quid. But, it sounds like Jabba really test, test and re-test various settings to get the most from the car.

Im faced with the dilema now, do I get them to remap my stock pd115, then have to get it remapped in the future when i add extra bits. Or, do I add the extra bits first, then get it remapped? Decisions decisions!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I was very impressed with the results, far excedded my expectations!

15mins for your house, took me nealy 2hours to get their.... worth every minute you've got no excuse! Yes as for the clutch its not slipping at all at the moment, I was initially worried about this.... They said for sure it will wear the stocl clutch faster... mines been replaced I believe as it was a company car but if its the original it may wear out sooner then its supposed to... They also said they acutally make sure the toque they set is copable, I could of gained even more but they said the clutch certainly wouldn't cope with it --- so they measure all that in when there doing it. I'll let you know if my clutch starts giving me any problems.

Yeah they really are competitively priced to I was originally going to have it Revo'd (just uploaded software) somewhere else... They wanted £475+VAT and that was WITHOUT and dyno plots at all! Certainly do get your moneys worth compared to what others charge, they're fully booked till end of October which shows how popular they are!

Yes I'd def recommend bolting all your mods on first, then getting it custom mapped.... else you'll be paying the same bill twice?! Im keeping mine standard apart from the map which is why I went for it.

SORRY DON'T THINK I MADE THIS CLEAR -

With the custom re-map Jabba acutally tweak the map whilst its on the rolling road so they can gain even more then just loading a stock program. This proved to work really well for me, as the standard Revo map is said to produce an extra 30bhp on my engine... so they managed another 20bhp I don't know how lol! But it really comes into its own when you modify a car with exhaust, air filter ect as they can tweak the map even more to suit the characteristics of your modiffications!

Sure they do offer a generic map which they just upload a map to your car which doesn't take long at all, but for the extra £100 it is you may as well have a before and after plot and gain the gains most from them tweaking the map on the rollers. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Spot on! Thats what i figured.

Problem is, ideally you`d need to remap the car every time you added something extra - like exhaust, turbo, injectors etc... to make sure you are getting the most from each mod. I know eventually i`ll add the whole lot, but really its going to be as & when I can afford them all. Certainly having to remap each time would certainly make each mod very expensive! What I might do, is remap now, then save up, add the lot & just remap again.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Good write up. I am seriously considering these guys with my second remap as they seem to have a lot more of a give a sh!t factor than others including the company that did mine and i have not heard any bad reports at all.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Excellent write-up! Such increases have got me thinking about getting it done once my warranty expires next year now! Just have to save for the coilovers and uprated clutch to go with it as well probably!

[Y]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi I just bought a GTi and i am sure its been chipped although i was told it was standard cause dham its quick.. do you guys have any idea of checkin if it has been chipped besides gettin it on a dyno?

Thanks

Ridz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts