Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*I do apologise if you came here looking for a perverted rant*

So, I ordered some Johnsons Baby Shampoo and tried it out on the car, certainly works! Probably also a lot cheaper than a decent car shampoo. ?1.99 for 100ml at boots, so grabbed a couple of bottles.

But I was thinking, if that works well, what will Baby Oil do?

Surely this could be used in some way as a protective barrier to the rain etc?

I doubt it would work very well going on after a wash, but going over it, or even spraying it over the car (minus the windscreen) with a spray gun could be beneficial before a wash with the baby shampoo?

Any comments? It would be quite a useful addition to the cupboard anyway, and one which I would actually have a purpose for instead of having a bottle 'just incase'!

Its also BOGOF at boots at the moment! http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1009488

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is random!

However, the oil would act as a barrier to the elements, rain included.

Stick in on after washing and it will no doubt leave the paintwork looking rough, but stick it on before waching, I reckon, from my limited knowledge, it would give a very nice shine and give very nice beading etc.

I don't know whats in baby oil, whether it would be damaging, which is why I'm asking. I very much doubt it as were supposed to slap it on babies! (not slap quite literally before I get called a chile beater!)

Theres a theory there though! Could be a very inexpensive way of giving the car a sheen with a quick wash! Could even pour some into the bucket with the baby shampoo, but I doubt that would work as well.

I'd give it a go, but I can't really just go into boots and buy 2 bottles of baby oil can I. All the girls in there are girls I went to school with, one of them an ex! Sure she would have something to say to embarass me highly as shes the one who always comes and see's me and serves me. If I say 'its actually for the car' I will look like a right idiot, so owuld have to buy online!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
But I was thinking, if that works well, what will Baby Oil do?

Surely this could be used in some way as a protective barrier to the rain etc?

I doubt it would work very well going on after a wash, but going over it, or even spraying it over the car (minus the windscreen) with a spray gun could be beneficial before a wash with the baby shampoo?
Noooooo!

I know you love your car, but its not a baby!!!

Dont let baby oil anywhere near your car, fella!

When you buff car-wax off, it leaves a nice smooth, hard finish. I would imagine that baby oil would leave a tacky sticky surface all over the car. The would grab any dust/feathers/insects that happen to be around and the car will look terrible. And you would have trouble getting the stuff off again! Probably would have to go for several washes with neat fairy liquid!

The baby oil would attack any rubber components (i.e. door seals) and start to ruin them.

So save the baby oil for... urm... human detailing and stick with your purpose-made car detailing products.

(I hope you havent already given it a go!)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wouldn't put that stuff on my car, someone once told me that it can damage condoms (?!) so wouldn't risk it! Leave it to what it's meant to be for, if you know what i mean....[;)]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
We use baby oil to give our stainless steel kitchen bin a nice sheen. But I don't know about on cars, I'd think when it gets drier this year any road dust would stick to it like glue and you'd end up with something like this:

Posted Image

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point about the tacky surfaces. Haven't heard that it can ruin a condom though! Probably the spermicide on it...

Remember though, I'm talking about spraying / applying it BEFORE washing with shampoo.

I might give it a go, the car I have now I don't care about. But I do still enjoy detailing the bora which is now dads.

I can't see it leaving a tacky finish, or picking up the dust, but its certainly a good point.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
It does a good job on plastic trim / bumpers to give it a back to black look, however it does not last long.  If you put it on before you wash then the water will not get to the car.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Wouldn't put that stuff on my car, someone once told me that it can damage condoms (?!) so wouldn't risk it! Leave it to what it's meant to be for, if you know what i mean....[;)]
Thanks for the insight into your personal life Lisa [:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the insight into your personal life Lisa [:D]
Care to post a pic up now?! Had to be done really.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
before I get called a chile beater!

But I can't really just go into boots and buy 2 bottles of baby oil can I
Oh you chile beater, Graham. I am repoting you to the chile police !

If you get embarrassed buying baby oil in Boots, I hope you never get nobby stiles !! There is a lot worse things you can buy over the counter/have to ask for.

Baby shampoo [Y]

Baby oil [N]

·
Registered
108 Posts
not quite sure about baby oil but my m8 once put vegetable oil on his car to give it a sheen look, must admit it looked great for about a week untill the sun came out and was cooking his car and the oil turned white, but thats just vegetble oil not sure about baby oil .........be carefull

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Baby shampoo to wash cars... Could work the other way as well... A few weeks ago I was considering having a bath or shower with Zymol auto wash, because it smells like something from the Body Shop. Someone else here has already tried it with Meg's NXT [:|]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Baby shampoo to wash cars... Could work the other way as well... A few weeks ago I was considering having a bath or shower with Zymol auto wash, because it smells like something from the Body Shop. Someone else here has already tried it with Meg's NXT [:|]
PMSL - if I didn't know you so well, I'd be worried about you fella [;)]

I think goes in for POTD too [;)]

C

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Don't be a twat all your life [:(]

If you put the baby oil on the car prior to washing the detergent in the shampoo will dissolve it, & didnt you learn at school oil & water dont mix anyway.

JJ Shampoo is only good as a stop gap, not a regular shampoo, its not harsh enough to remove the traffic film you pick up, its more like a QD than a shampoo

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The baby oil would probably be great for getting under the arches with and doing the plastic arch liners with or maybe as a stop gap tyre shine

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't be a twat all your life [:(]

If you put the baby oil on the car prior to washing the detergent in the shampoo will dissolve it, & didnt you learn at school oil & water dont mix anyway.

JJ Shampoo is only good as a stop gap, not a regular shampoo, its not harsh enough to remove the traffic film you pick up, its more like a QD than a shampoo
Speaking from experience I see!! [:D][:p]

As for the baby oil, gonna try it, dont care about this car anyway. Dads got some in the garage for doing stainless steel with (apparently!! [:$])

1 - 20 of 25 Posts