Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my turbos gone up the spout, I was wondering what the average I can expect to pay for a recon would be and possibly the best place to buy one. Cheeers

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got mine for £380 posted 4 months ago, all good so far ill find out supplier quickturbo i think.

good guy to deal with

·
Diesel Geek
4,089 Posts
Try giving CR turbos a call they offer pretty good prices. Though why do you think your turbo is shot?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, ill ring both. My car makes a police siren noise and its starting to do it at lower and lower revs, I can actually hear it when I first start the car now

·
Diesel Geek
4,089 Posts
[quote user="Jonny8501"]

Thanks everyone, ill ring both. My car makes a police siren noise and its starting to do it at lower and lower revs, I can actually hear it when I first start the car now

[/quote]

Police siren noise isn't common on the 150pd, more likely on the new 2.0 tdi lumps. Has the car been mapped or anything, it could be over spooling causing the noise which if it has a poor remap on it a new turbo won't solve the issue. Might be worth getting some boost logs done just to check everything is ok on that front before changing the turbo.

As I said try CR for a re-con they get quite a good feedback. I know that Smithy403 got a brand new unit for about 575+Vat but I'm not sure where from.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm starting to think now that it could be the alternator, as it makes a faint noise when idling then louder at very low revs, I also tried turning on everything electrical in the car and it got louder, turned it all off and it died down. I'm hoping it is the alternator lol

·
Diesel Geek
4,089 Posts
Pop off the serpentine belt start it up and listen for the noise. While you are there you can check the bearings and the clutch in the alternator pulley. It could also be the belt tensioner as these are also prone to wear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.