Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the Automatic wing mirror function work? and you need the highline multifunction computer for this?

·
Registered
46 Posts
They work by you just twisting the button which controls the mirrors and no you don't need the highline multifunction computer for them. Although what I would say is that they don't actually fold in that much!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so they can't be opened by them selves if you   i.e. turn the engine on or unlock the doors? without you having to open them via a switch that controls them inside the car.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
How do you know he is talking about 'electrically folding door mirrors'. Sounds more like the question is about automatically dipping rear view mirrors rather than folding. There is nothing 'automatic' about the folding feature.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My drivers side wing mirror darkens in the same manner that the rear view mirror 'dips' or darkens when I press the button under the rear view mirror (the little green light comes on). It's not 'automatic' as such, but once you've turned-on the system, it 'dips' or darkens/clears dependant upon a vehicles head lights being behind you at night - at the same time as the rear view mirror. It is an optional extra for all mkV golfs I think - cost me about ?200 if memory serves - included in this would be the coming/leaving lighting functions (the underside of the wing mirrors light up the doors when you unlock the car at night) and also, auto adjustment of the near side wing mirror when you s elect reverse - to aid parking of course.

If the question is about folding the mirrors - yes, you have to twist the knob by the door drivers side handle clockwise. Mine fold in tight to the body work by the way. At first they didn't, then I had VW take a look and now they do!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Mine fold in tight to the body work by the way. At first they didn't, then I had VW take a look and now they do!
Really - that amazing! Everyone else who has this feature complains they only 'fold' by a few inches. Could you please post a picture?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the auto-dimming rear view mirror and also the coming home feature (wing mirrors light up), but when I am in reverse, my wing mirror does not dip down. Is there anything extra I need to press?

So exactly what option does the dipping wing mirror come with?

Cheers

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the auto-dimming rear view mirror and also the coming home feature (wing mirrors light up), but when I am in reverse, my wing mirror does not dip down. Is there anything extra I need to press?

Cheers
The Luxury Pack I believe...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine fold in tight to the body work by the way. At first they didn't, then I had VW take a look and now they do!
Really - that amazing! Everyone else who has this feature complains they only 'fold' by a few inches. Could you please post a picture?
Weird thing is the nearside mirror folds in further than the drivers side [:|] I'll post a pic when I get a chance. I complained to VW that mine only moved a few inches - hardly enough to avoid the plonkers who might clip my mirrors when parked and when you pay extra for mirrors that fold in at the flick of a switch, well you expect them to at least fold in more than a couple of inches! I've no idea what the dealer did, but now they fold in a fair way - well enough for me to be happy [:)]

·
Registered
894 Posts
MarkP

If you say your dealer managed to get them to fold 'tight to the body' I too would be interested in a photo please.

I can then show my dealer.

What did they actually do as mine, like most I suspect, only fold in by about 6cms per side.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Like I said, I've no idea what they did, but 6cm doesn't sound at all right - mine fold in considerably more than that. If I get time this evening I'll take a pic for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The mirrors on my MKV R32 also only fold in a couple of inches as do all the other MKV's I've tried. Really interested in pictures if you can manage it.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Cheers
The Luxury Pack I believe...
I bought my car second hand (1 yr old) so I don't know if it has the luxury pack. So is it possible to have the dimming rear view mirror and the coming home function, but NOT have the dipping wing mirror? I hope someone can give me a full answer.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I bought my car second hand (1 yr old) so I don't know if it has the luxury pack. So is it possible to have the dimming rear view mirror and the coming home function, but NOT have the dipping wing mirror? I hope someone can give me a full answer.
It'll be because your car is an older car, the dipping mirror function is only on the cars now being sold.

I have the same problem, it would be nice to have that activated if possible...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Anticipation building.....
No need for sarcasm; some of us work long hours and don't have the time (or inclination) to piss around with a camera taking pictures of their car in the dark [:|] I did however measure the travel of the near side mirror on my car this morning and it's 13cm from open to folded. The drivers side mirror, for some unknown reason only goes 11cm. The mirrors can only fold to a point and if peeople look (or try to fold the mirror maunally) they'll see this. If you want them to fold completely into the body work - use a hammer [;)] Initially my mirrors were only folding in about half the distance they are now, a couple of inches at most I suppose. I walked past a MkV golf today, parked by Regents Park; the mirrors on this car were folded and looked very much like mine. I suggest people who feel their mirrors are not folding properly take their car to a dealer, as I did. They can only fold so far, but if that's only a few cm, then there's clearly something wrong. OK, I have patients to see... cheers...

Mark.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Anticipation building.....
No need for sarcasm; some of us work long hours and don't have the time (or inclination) to piss around with a camera taking pictures of their car in the dark [:|] I did however measure the travel of the near side mirror on my car this morning and it's 13cm from open to folded. The drivers side mirror, for some unknown reason only goes 11cm. The mirrors can only fold to a point and if peeople look (or try to fold the mirror maunally) they'll see this. If you want them to fold completely into the body work - use a hammer [;)] Initially my mirrors were only folding in about half the distance they are now, a couple of inches at most I suppose. I walked past a MkV golf today, parked by Regents Park; the mirrors on this car were folded and looked very much like mine. I suggest people who feel their mirrors are not folding properly take their car to a dealer, as I did. They can only fold so far, but if that's only a few cm, then there's clearly something wrong. OK, I have patients to see... cheers...

Mark.
I'm sure Mark V was not being sarcastic as if you have found a way to improve the ' fold in ' a lot of us are really genuinely interested.

A photo is probably the best way of showing us as we are all quoting different things eg distance travelled & at the end of the day a picture will enable us to compare.

Width reduction in my case of 6cms ( on fold in of mirror measuring from side window glass to extremity of folded mirror ). At the moment I can't see that it would go further so a picture will help. [Y]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I certainly was not being sarcastic. I am really looking forward to finding out more about this as I find my folding mirrors are very near useless as they hardly 'fold' at all. "Anticipation building" was an honest and genuine comment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts