Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the forum! I have a reflex silver Golf which I have polished with Autoglym 'Super Resin' followed by Autoglym 'Extra Gloss Protection'. The results seem to give a very smooth finish and the water runs off in beeds, which is good. I get the feeling that people on this forum seem to prefer Meguires? As my Autoglym is nearly empty I was wondering about changing?

Just wondering if Meguires would give a better finish and which one to get as each wax or polish in the range seems to claim it is the best!!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Yep,

Believe the hype.

I was sceptical for ages but it really is far better. The best thing is the lack of white dust.

Saying that though, the only thing which is beyond everything else that Autoglym make is their bumper and plastic trim stuff (it's green btw). I've tried all sorts including the megs stuff and none seem to be as good as the Autoglym.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I was sceptical for ages but it really is far better. The best thing is the lack of white dust.
Posted Image
I second that.

Autoglym is ok - but there are much better products for the money. I had exactly the same experience as yourself with Autoglym.

Meguires have a few products - one I can recommend is Meguires NXT tech wax! Excellent stuff and it smells......mmmmmmm

I think Autoglym is a bit old school now and I think a bit overpriced for what it actually does.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Excellent stuff and it smells......mmmmmmm
Excellent - a new level of car care - must shine like the sun, and smell like roses! [Y]

Love it [:)]

To the point, the Autoglym stuff is pretty good, but IMO lacks that
deep shine kinda look - it's just good, but nothing special.
There's plenty of other stuff (which I'm gonna have a play with myself
in the future) that seem to give better results [:)]

C

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
? for ?............megs stuff for your "general" products.

but then when you identifiy problems specific to your paint, head to serious performance and track down problem solving products.

but NOT autoGRIM stuff!!...thats a dirty word in car cleaning

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I have been used Autoglym high gloss protection a couple of times on my Golf but am going in search of something better today, any ideas which shops stock Meguiars and Clearkote stuff? Places I can go get some from today that is, cant wait for it to be posted, fancy a weekend of cleaning.

Will I need to use anything to remove the Autoglym or cut the paint back before I start with Megs or similar stuff?

Might try this claybar thing too if I can find one of them.

Can anyone help out here?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Auto won't give you a deep, wet finish like this...

I use Swissol and the wax I have isn't even the best one they make.

Posted Image

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
You on a nightshift again Mark??

And agreed, I use Autoglym and it's alright but it doesn't give the deep shine satisfaction! Doesn't Halfords do Meguirs (sorry can't spell it!)

C

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Autogleem gives average results for the average motorist at a average price....

Better results are possible from swissol, PS21, poorboys...

You need to step away from the 'halfords' type products to obtain superb results....

Serious performance or clean and shiny are two websites to look at....

John Whitle of the forum can supply you with swissol stuff!

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Right, been to Halfrauds and got:

Megs Quick Clay

Megs NXT Tech Wax.

I still have some Autoglym shampoo left over so I didnt buy the NXT stuff.

So where do I start?

Wash, chamois, Clay?

Then wash and chamois again?

Then NXT tech wax?

What else shall I get hold of? Some of this carabuna wax sounds popular or will just a coat of the Tech wax do the job?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
You don't need to dry off after the first wash because you need to keep the car wet for the clay - otherwise it will STICK to the paint awkwardly. The Meg's Quik Clay pack comes with a bottle of quick detailer spray which works great as a lubricant for the clay, but your shampoo mixed with water will work just as well, so you can save the detailing spray for other uses (it does smell really nice though!), for example, a quick wipe when you turn up for meets, as your car inevitably picks up crud on the way there, even if you washed it before starting your journey.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Right, been to Halfrauds and got:

Megs Quick Clay

Megs NXT Tech Wax.

I still have some Autoglym shampoo left over so I didnt buy the NXT stuff.

So where do I start?

Wash, chamois, Clay?

Then wash and chamois again?

Then NXT tech wax?

What else shall I get hold of? Some of this carabuna wax sounds popular or will just a coat of the Tech wax do the job?
Rinse

Wash

Clay

Maybe rinse if it's needed

Polish, if needed

Wax

1 - 20 of 23 Posts