Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm if the auto dimming door mirrors dim on BOTH sides? i.e. n/s as well as the driver's side?

As my car has just been delivered & as far as I can tell the auto dimming function is only on the driver's side (also characterised by the darkish border to the mirror, which is not present on the n/s mirror).

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the auto dimming door mirrors dim on BOTH sides? i.e. n/s as well as the driver's side? As my car has just been delivered & as far as I can tell the auto dimming function is only on the driver's side (also characterised by the darkish border to the mirror, which is not present on the n/s mirror). Cheers.
Mine both dim and both have the black border around them. If the description says 'mirrors' and it certainly did when I ordered them, I'd be going back to the dealer!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys..

Dealer called me this morning. He confirmed it has been mis-built! That means another trip into the dealer to fix what wolfsburg ar$ed up!..

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
another thing about these darn mirrors, sometimes they fail to fold out! Or sometimes one folds out the other refuses like a stubborn mule!
I have to twiddle about for a few seconds by switching them in & out then they both fold out..!
I'm putting it down to the freezing conditions for now.. & hope it's just that.. but like I said most of the time they're ok, apart from having the most miserly fold in angle i've ever seen!
But the dealer insists I should always fold them in, with the dimming lens at ?150 a pop each side I better do as he says!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am so pleased that I had read this topic, I picked up my car on Tuesday and have to say it is great!, but on checking it over I had my list of problems I have read about on here and pointed out that it only had auto dimming on one mirror at which point of course the reply was how do you tell, other than at night with an idiot behind you!

VW have now confirmed a mis-build

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
VW have now confirmed a mis-build
Do you mean your VW retailer is saying its a mis-build? They may not be aware that recent spec changes mean you only have a drivers auto dimming door mirror with the luxury pack, however if you ordered the car and the brochure said 'mirrors' (plural) they should add the missing one.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Or sometimes one folds out the other refuses like a stubborn mule!
Happened to my BMW twice; one folded down, the other stayed up.

Was during the cold snap though and they worked the second time around.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Robin:
You can easily tell an auto-dimming mirror even in daylight.. Look closely at the glass & there should be a darker border to the mirror (on the auto-dimming glass).. normal glass does not have this border, this is the photo responsive membrane which goes lighter as the centre part of the mirror goes darker. When light intensisty returns to normal it switches back again.. i.e border goes darker, centre goes lighter.

As Mark pointed out VW have dropped the auto-dimming mirror for the passenger side! This appears to be part of a series of cost cutting exercises by VW.

Mark:
My car is booked in for thurs to install the auto-dimmer on the passenger side.. They themselves declared the car a mis-build.. but to be honest the auto-dimming mirror (singular) wouldn't have washed with me... the brochure clearly describes the electrically foldable auto-dimming door mirrors (plural) & the fact that they only recently changed the spec is proof enough that i've been swindled..

I feel quite lucky insofar as i'm getting my passenger side installed.. all those poor buggers that have recently bought their cars will be getting one sided dimmers.. at some point the smaller dealers are going to stop diagnosing them as mis-builds & make a stand.. perhaps when VW change their brochures!?

Mike:
The mirrors aren't sticking as much anymore! Maybe they just needed wearing in? Only getting a one in five mirror jam now!

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, the retailer wouldn't commit themselves despite my showing them the brochure etc, they waited until VW UK agreed to pay. I did check yesterday in the new (1/1/06) price list and it still says auto dimming exterior mirrors but now they have a coverall clause for changes in spec that wasn't in the price list that was current when I placed my order.

·
Registered
894 Posts
No, the retailer wouldn't commit themselves despite my showing them the brochure etc, they waited until VW UK agreed to pay. I did check yesterday in the new (1/1/06) price list and it still says auto dimming exterior mirrors but now they have a coverall clause for changes in spec that wasn't in the price list that was current when I placed my order.
The 'specifications may be subject to change without notice' clause appeared in the 1.6.2005 price list.

I also suspect it appeared in previous lists hidden in the small print.

I think personally the dealers, once the order has been taken, have a moral obligation to try & get VW UK to rectify what is missing if physically possible.

Going off thread slightly I'd be interested to know if anybody who might have ordered the leather option with armrest has taken delivery in the last six weeks.

Did the armrest have ' leatherette' rather than a real leather covering ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'll check mine tomorrow for you ( week 34 05 build), but i think their get out is ' Generally all parts in contact with the driver are leather'. so I expect they are all leatherette.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Surely, if the armrest is used then it is in contact with the driver!!!? Then it should be leather.
But if it is leatherette i guess there's nothing you can do about this as ALL of the armrests would be the same..

·
Registered
894 Posts
Surely, if the armrest is used then it is in contact with the driver!!!? Then it should be leather. But if it is leatherette i guess there's nothing you can do about this as ALL of the armrests would be the same..
Thanks SMB.

I think this may be one of several small spec. changes from the middle of November 2005 thats why I asked if anybody had taken delivery in the last six weeks with that particular spec.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have auto-dimming mirrors bilaterally - week 27 build '06 spec.

I have the mirror issue as well, where one opens and the other does not. Always seems to rectify itself when closed and opened again but damn annoying. And the worst part is it was happening before the winter season!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmn. Only had others putting it down to the cold / wet weather, mine isn't doing it so much these days even through the very recent cold snap.. I get 1 failure in 5.. & then on the very rare occasion the right side sticks instead of the left!! I'm totally lost on this one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Surely, if the armrest is used then it is in contact with the driver!!!? Then it should be leather. But if it is leatherette i guess there's nothing you can do about this as ALL of the armrests would be the same..
Thanks SMB.

I think this may be one of several small spec. changes from the middle of November 2005 thats why I asked if anybody had taken delivery in the last six weeks with that particular spec.
ok having had a look, I think it's probably leatherette, It's finer than the rest and i think the pattern is leather, but to the touch it feels like leatherette.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks SMB.

ok having had a look, I think it's probably leatherette, It's finer than the rest and i think the pattern is leather, but to the touch it feels like leatherette.
Thanks for looking & reporting back. [Y]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Med, had another look in proper daylight today, the armrest has 3 pieces of material sown together, I think top piece is leather, the sides are def leatherette. Hope that helps

1 - 20 of 34 Posts