Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get our throttle body cleaned on our 1.8T AUM (DBW) but do not have VAG.COM to re-allign it.

My question is, would I be able to clean the throttle body myself then drive it to somebody who has VAG.COM to get it re-alligned or could this cause damage? I need to know as it's needs doing ASAP.

Thanx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear Sir

Sorry to hear that you are havin problems with the trottle bodies. I personally dont no the answer as my golf is that old you need a crank handle to start mine!!! But do no of people that have your age of car so will ask if they have any ideas.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to get our throttle body cleaned on our 1.8T AUM (DBW) but do not have VAG.COM to re-allign it.

My question is, would I be able to clean the throttle body myself then drive it to somebody who has VAG.COM to get it re-alligned or could this cause damage? I need to know as it's needs doing ASAP.

Thanx
Has anyone any ideas on this one as I think I need to get this done pretty soon?

Thanx

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
I'm not sure on which engines this applies to but you can do a throttle body alignment without vagcom. On my AGU with cable it just aligned itself automatically after the battery was reconnected.
You can also align it by popping the bonnet, opening the drivers door then turning the ignition on. You will hear some quiet whirring under the bonnet which I beleive is the throttle body aligning and the ECU resetting.

I'm not 100% sure that this method applies to all engine codes.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure on which engines this applies to but you can do a throttle body alignment without vagcom. On my AGU with cable it just aligned itself automatically after the battery was reconnected.
You can also align it by popping the bonnet, opening the drivers door then turning the ignition on. You will hear some quiet whirring under the bonnet which I beleive is the throttle body aligning and the ECU resetting.

I'm not 100% sure that this method applies to all engine codes.
PJ, thanks for the info.

I think I have read about this but I don't know whether it works on DBW engines. I know it definetly works on non-DBW engines.

Can anyone confirm if this procedure will definetly work on a DBW engine or not?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
I've just done some searching for you and there does seem to be some uncertainty. Can you not get the person with vagcom to come to you in return for a few beer vouchers. Failing that it only took me half hour to clean mine, can you do it where the vagcom is?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've just done some searching for you and there does seem to be some uncertainty. Can you not get the person with vagcom to come to you in return for a few beer vouchers. Failing that it only took me half hour to clean mine, can you do it where the vagcom is?
Think I may have to look into driving to the VAG.COM source and actualy doing the work there as it onlt takes about half hour. Thanks for getting back to me.

What did you clean your out with?

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Carb cleaner from halfords (watch the spray back into your eyes)
Lots of kitchen roll
Cotton wool ear buds
An old tooth brush.

My cars done 110K miles and was quite gunked up most of it cleaned off quite easily but the nooks and crannies were more difficult which is where the ear buds came in.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Carb cleaner from halfords (watch the spray back into your eyes)
Lots of kitchen roll
Cotton wool ear buds
An old tooth brush.

My cars done 110K miles and was quite gunked up most of it cleaned off quite easily but the nooks and crannies were more difficult which is where the ear buds came in.
Great, need to get some carb cleaner but have the rest!

Ours has done a few more than that and I don't know if it's ever been done!!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
IMO, you'll be ok to clean it and drive to someone with Vag-Com to have it properly calibrated. Using Vag-Com is the ONLY way to calibrate 100%. Leaving your bonnet and door open only primes it for use which is the whine that can be heard.

Also, don't spray carb cleaner directly into the TB. Spray onto a clean cloth and wipe as much of the excess oil / film away, and then do the same with the cotton buds to get into smaller areas. The AUM TB, being drive by wire, is stepper motor controlled and any excess fluids can kill it easily. Take your time, be careful and don't try to open the butterfly valve, just gently clean around it. Hope that helps you [:)]

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi,...I looked well into this before cleaning my TB (DBW) ,.. VAG_COM is needed to perform a TBA,. afaik you can clean it yourself (dont move the butterfly manually, you may harm the servo) and it will start + drive afterwards but its best to have the TBA run by someone with VAG-COM afterwards.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pat & jonny bravo,

Thanx v.much for the info, much appreciated!

I did need an answer to this issue as I really need to get this done ASAP now. Will try and get in contact with someone with VAG.COM so I can run it to them after cleaning.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
no problem matey - to be honest if it's not been done before then it will likely be pretty gunked up and you'll notice straight away after cleaning how much smoother the idle and pickup are!

Jonny how's your CC remap now after a few weeks mate? I am still like [:D][:D]

·
Registered
195 Posts
Jonny how's your CC remap now after a few weeks mate? I am still like [:D][:D]
Still loving it Pat,...love that 2nd gear pull ! [:D] ,. I reckon it would sound great with an induction kit,.(although I am searching for some cheap PVC ducting atm for thw standard box)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts