Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having all this trouble with the Golf PD150 im thinking about a new car.

What is the A4 TDI sport like? I know its only 130bhp but what about all the engine parts and build. Is this the same as VW?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hmm in a similar dilemma myself - MkV or A3? Interior of MkV is a bit of a deal breaker at the moment but reluctant to give up on Golfs!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Audi... less common that Veedubs, interior is more elegant, red lighting throughout is easier on the eyes and the car just feels so much more solid. When I open the door I can hear the whoooosh as the air rushes in, it feels like you are hermetically sealed in.

I do prefer the shape of the MkIV Golf over my old A3 shape, however the new A3 looks far better than the MkV IMHO.

C

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have just sold a 2004 Audi A3 2.0tdi sport which I bought because I wasn't keen on the MKV interior, it replaced my PD150 with which I had no problems. There is no doubt Audi build a far better car, interior quality is second to none, they just ooze build quality, no squeaks, rattles or any problems of any sort but you will pay a premium for this level of satisfaction as optional extras are pricey and IMO required as Audi ownerships seems to centre around what toys you have included.

I can't fault Audi in any way and would not hesitate to buy another one, the dealerships & service depts have to be experienced to believe the differences, each visit seemed like an occasion. Why did I buy another VW you may ask ? One word - Excitement !! The Audi was an excellent & very capable car but rarely made me smile - my new GTi has a cheaper interior, lower grade plastics but its fun with a capital F, I can live with the high roofline & lard arse because as a whole the package VW are offering really works.

I would say take a very long test drive in both marques and see what you think but I'm guessing if you have had a bad VW experience it may be time to give Audi a try, same great product just built better.:)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Audi very solid, interior is fantastic especially with stuff like heated leather, climate and CD changers fitted...My yoke could still handle a bit better for my liking though - I doubt the A4 is any better as it's not really that type of car.

Always liked the A4 too - especially the S Line package.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Will probably be shot down here (awaits incoming...) but as an average ability driver I don't hoy my cars around corners and even the MkIVs handling was good enough for me [:$] and for 95% of driving time I'm commuting/shopping/not in a race. However I want to be in a comfortable classy environment when sat in my car and I have to admit to be a bit disappointed with the MkVs interior. The MkIV interior I feel was a qauntum leap compared to the opposition (and one of the reasons I bought one) and the MkVs competitors now don't make it feel significantly superior.

However that's my opinion not wanting to offend MkV owners, I just like the best quality interior I can afford, and I'm still in two minds whether to stick with Golfs or try Audi...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Will probably be shot down here (awaits incoming...) but as an average ability driver I don't hoy my cars around corners and even the MkIVs handling was good enough for me [:$] and for 95% of driving time I'm commuting/shopping/not in a race. However I want to be in a comfortable classy environment when sat in my car and I have to admit to be a bit disappointed with the MkVs interior. The MkIV interior I feel was a qauntum leap compared to the opposition (and one of the reasons I bought one) and the MkVs competitors now don't make it feel significantly superior.

However that's my opinion not wanting to offend MkV owners, I just like the best quality interior I can afford, and I'm still in two minds whether to stick with Golfs or try Audi...
I agree with you, the MKV is no better than the majority of the competition but no worse either, I took a look at many other brands before taking the plunge on the new GTi, try comparing it to the new BMW 1 and the golf is better than this IMO. However if you are looking for interior quality thats easy - AUDI every time.

What ever you decide it want be easy following on from a mkiv as they set the industry benchmark with one of the best interiors ever IMO, good luck in your search for a replacement.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree with you, the MKV is no better than the majority of the competition but no worse either, I took a look at many other brands before taking the plunge on the new GTi, try comparing it to the new BMW 1 and the golf is better than this IMO. However if you are looking for interior quality thats easy - AUDI every time.
I have to agree that the BMW 1 series interior isn't up to much (I went round BMW, Audi, VW and Skoda garages last weekend), even the new Octavia's beats it in my opinion! If I do go Audi it'll be the first non VW car I've had, wonder if the interior has put others off? Now do I want a standard A3 or a Sportback...?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
The MKIV interior is second to none. The MKV (again, sorry to you MKV owners) looks like just another car. I don't like the centre console at all. It also looks cheaper than the MKIV.

The MKIV interiro gives that feel of a bigger car, no centre console sticking out. The MKV has that sticking out centre console thing, which every manufacturer seems to have gone down.

I do though LOVE the GTI with DSG gearstick and around that area, dunno why. Have never relly liked the sticky out gearstick on the MK4 I guess.

As for Audi over VW, Audi is just that extra step. It goes in order of Skoda > Seat > VW > Audi as far as I'm concerned. The prices back up my theory too! If the Audi A3 had the V5 engine, I would be looking for one.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have to agree that the BMW 1 series interior isn't up to much (I went round BMW, Audi, VW and Skoda garages last weekend), even the new Octavia's beats it in my opinion! If I do go Audi it'll be the first non VW car I've had, wonder if the interior has put others off? Now do I want a standard A3 or a Sportback...?
If you want practicality it has to be the sportback due to those extra doors, for good looks alone the A3 3dr, the wife will be having a sportback in the new year as her new company car for all of the reasons we have discussed so I'm lucky I guess cos I get the best of both worlds - the GTi for fun & her car for luxurious long trips, she's opting for the 2.0tdi with DSG as she covers @ 30K a year, I went from totally hating the interior & looks of the MKV to now loving my new GTi - perhaps it will happen to you too and you will end up with a new Golf, once you have been driving it for a while you tend to stop comparing and start enjoying !

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I think I need to put my pedants hat on here and say that build quailty is the same in Audis as it is in VWs (and very similar to my BMW too).

I think what should be differentiated is that it's the quality of materials used - the way they're all screwed together is the same. (Aren't some of them even put together in the same factory?)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wonder if VW spent so much on improving the MkVs suspension that they had to make economies somewhere i.e. the interior?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think I need to put my pedants hat on here and say that build quailty is the same in Audis as it is in VWs (and very similar to my BMW too).

I think what should be differentiated is that it's the quality of materials used - the way they're all screwed together is the same. (Aren't some of them even put together in the same factory?)
Yep, we are probably using incorrect terminology and actually referring to quality of materials used ie) bigger grain plastics in the VW as oposed to the Audi rather than how they are 'screwed together'.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The MKIV interior is second to none.
Apart from Audi of course?

I didn't own a mkIV Golf but have had a Bora courtesy car a few months ago. I thought it looked extremely dated compared to the mkV. The example I had also had numerous rattles which was a surprise. On the whole I much prefer the mkV where everything falls easily to hand. I think it is the colour that makes people think it is of inferior quality.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have to say that I find all this praise of Audi dealers hard to believe. I've never owned an Audi - but that is because when I've been looking for a new car the dealers have been so uninterested that I've walked out and bought something else. Same again this time - went to look at A4 and A6 S line - in the 2 dealerships, couldn't get anyone to talk to me, show me the car, talk specs etc - they were all too busy talking to each other about their weekends.

So its another BMW for me - nearly went for new Passat but no-one can tell me delivery date, price or lease cost for higher powered diesel and I can't wait, car has to be registered this year.

Ian

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
As for Audi over VW, Audi is just that extra step. It goes in order of Skoda > Seat > VW > Audi as far as I'm concerned. The prices back up my theory too! If the Audi A3 had the V5 engine, I would be looking for one.
I'd have to disagree with that, Skoda interiors are much better than Seat and when comparing the Fabia to the Polo better than VW too. The Ibiza we have whilst being a good car has a very low quality feel to the interior in comparison to a Fabia. The same also goes when comparing Leon to Octavia in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'd have to disagree with that, Skoda interiors are much better than Seat and when comparing the Fabia to the Polo better than VW too. The Ibiza we have whilst being a good car has a very low quality feel to the interior in comparison to a Fabia. The same also goes when comparing Leon to Octavia in my opinion.
I thought Skoda interiors were supposed to be pretty good?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had a VW Golf GT TDi..

Coming now is an Audi A4 TDi Sport..

Comes loaded... Leather interior, Xenon lights (including washers which are legally standard in uk), 6 cd autochanged, full electric windows which is a rare, as standard A4's you find have only front electrics (?300 extra for rear electrics), Sports package i.e. lowered suspension, wheels etc.., Climate Control, electric seats, sports seats, air bags everywhere, EBD, ESP, ABS etc... Great spec car.. Oh...... and a boot!!! The golfs boot for me was far too small, but coming from smaller cars like the civic etc.. the golf was big, but guess need something bigger now..

Still a VAG.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts