Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I right in thinking the Audi TT, Intercooler is bigger then the intercooler fitted the the 1.8T. And can it be fitted to a Mk4 Turbo. I am having heat soak problems with my car after it has had a Stage 1 Revo. The Revo tech did suggest to me, that I should upgrade me intercooler which would help with the heat problems I am getting with my engine.

What do you think?

;'fdug s;dfigj [aofiga[skgj ap9ug [RIJG APIRHG [0Awugr]=-9au rgjarjg[au [gaihjg[i[gha [arogf [a0w ga g[ai8wjg awrg gf 0a8iwfgu

·
Registered
582 Posts
The TT actually has two intercoolers - one on either side. I believe that Dastek used to offer their own version of this as an upgrade for the golf (I saw it at a show once) but I don't have a link for it.

THere are loads of options available for intercooler upgrades to the 1.8T, Forge, Allard, APR etc etc

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a lot of option out there for intercooler upgrades, but I am on a budget and I am trying to do this on the cheap, I always thought that the Audi TT had the same intercooler but bigger to cope with the extra Bhp. This then got me thinking that if I can get a second-hand unit from a TT it would fit straight on.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
No it wont fit straight on as the TT inlet is on the right and the golf on the left.The conclusion i have come across everytime is that the best option is to get one of the aftermarket IC's designed for the golf[;)]

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I went for a forge side mount IC - it wasn't cheap, but it is more stealthy than a front mount. It was quite pricey, but it is worth it, and a fantastically built piece of kiit. In cool weather when crusing, the temp gauge is running at about 75 degrees, so it is certainly more effective.

I was never sure about going for a front mount as i had heard it can lose boost pressure, and it blocks airflow into the aircon matrix?

I've never experienced noticeable heatsoak in my revo'd 1.8t - obviously its less powerful on a hot summers day compared to a cold autumn morning, so it seems to do the trick! [:)]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
, the temp gauge is running at about 75 degrees, so it is certainly more effective.
The temp gauge reads engine WATER temp as opposed to AIR intake temp ?? So how does this reading offer any reliable info ? Cooling the air intake only means it is more efficiently compressed by the turbo and should have no bearing on actual engine 'water' tempretaure.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Look at the Forge thread in the SIte Sponsors section - they will supply a front mount with all required pipes for £500....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i bought a custom SMIC from the states for £300 inc p+p, its over 2 times the size of the standard IC and is meant to out perform some FMIC. there is also allot of good feed back from vortex on it. search for the Boost Factory SMIC. very stelth and easy install [y]

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i bought a custom SMIC from the states for £300 inc p+p, its over 2 times the size of the standard IC and is meant to out perform some FMIC. there is also allot of good feed back from vortex on it. search for the Boost Factory SMIC. very stelth and easy install [y]
Hi Mike
I was looking at the SMIC on your website. Looked very impressive considering it can handle 400-Bhp. The same intercooler from say forge is twice the price. For £300 all in, it is hard to say no.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi Mike
I was looking at the SMIC on your website. Looked very impressive considering it can handle 400-Bhp. The same intercooler from say forge is twice the price. For £300 all in, it is hard to say no.
its bigger than the forge one and more effective. they say it can handle 400hp but im sure its not as great as they say. but there has been allot of good feed back on it on vortex. [y]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi Mike
its bigger than the forge one and more effective. they say it can handle 400hp but im sure its not as great as they say. but there has been allot of good feed back on it on vortex. [y]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi Mike

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
, the temp gauge is running at about 75 degrees, so it is certainly more effective.
The temp gauge reads engine WATER temp as opposed to AIR intake temp ?? So how does this reading offer any reliable info ? Cooling the air intake only means it is more efficiently compressed by the turbo and should have no bearing on actual engine 'water' tempretaure.
PMSL ! [:D]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
OOPS !! [:$] I'm off to stand in the corner [;)]

As the old saying goes... A closed mouth gathers no feet !!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask me one on sport !!!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
OOPS !! [:$] I'm off to stand in the corner [;)]

As the old saying goes... A closed mouth gathers no feet !!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask me one on sport !!!
Lol, I wasn't laffin at you mate !

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
i bought a custom SMIC from the states for ?300 inc p+p, its over 2 times the size of the standard IC and is meant to out perform some FMIC. there is also allot of good feed back from vortex on it. search for the Boost Factory SMIC. very stelth and easy install [y]
Sorry to dig up old posts but its relevant to my SMIC query..any updates on the Dastek or Boost factory SMIC any problems? Im in stealth mode and reckon these seem a good option?

http://www.dastek.co.uk/powercooler.htm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts