Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Ok so everyone is going to say I am a little biased here... But wait!

If you want a better drivers car go for the golf Gti but if you want a nicer car to use day to day my pref would be the Audi.

Plus I think it is the niver looking car but I would say that...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Without doubt the GTI - Unless you are an old man. It is surprising how two so similar cars can drive so differently.
Thats a bit harsh! Both cars have thier merits but I'd hardly consider myself to be an old man because I opted for the Audi. Like I said in my post the Gti might be the better drivers car but that doesn't mean the A3's a boat on wheels. Lets not turn this into a slagging off thread.

J.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
J, Just yanking your chain.[:D] Both cars are great, and far better handling than the MKIV predecesors. Audi gets you a great badge, refinement, better interior and better dealers. The GTI gives you a better drivers car, GTI heritage (if you care), a few pennies left in your pocket and dealers to keep you on your toes.

Looks department, they are both great IMO, you chose what you prefer.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also think the Audi would be my next purchase, i just asked for you thoughts and thats what i am getting! Which i good.

In about a years time i will be thinking of getting a new car, and i reckon you could pick up the Audi for less than the GTI, say a 05 model. But just had a Black 3 door GTI in my rear view mirror to night and it aint helped swerve towards the audi.

Must comment about the Audi service though, My dad had a Juddering on this A4 2.5 multitronic, took it yesterday and they have replaced the clutch plates from 6 to 7, updated the ECU, Updated the sat nav, done a free oil change, Replaced a wheel bearing, washed and cleaned inside and out, all with out any hassel. My dad couldnt be happier. Thats what i call service!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
marriedblonde, is yours the DSG or manual and is it standard or remapped ? I'm giving thought to swapping my 2.0TDi for the A3 2.0 TDi DSG or possibly the A4 (anyone know what the difference is between the DSG and Multitronic ? or is it the same)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
marriedblonde, is yours the DSG or manual and is it standard or remapped ? I'm giving thought to swapping my 2.0TDi for the A3 2.0 TDi DSG or possibly the A4 (anyone know what the difference is between the DSG and Multitronic ? or is it the same)
Hello Steve,

Mines the DSG and it's been Revo'd. There is a massive difference between the multitronic and the DSG.

J.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Is the multitronic like a CVT box? I tempted with the DSG and have been looking at the A3's on Autotrader, I know the spec I want, black with either half or full leather ideally with a sunroof. Do all A3's with DSG come with paddles and if yours has them do you actually use them ? Have you driven a standard manual TDi and how does it compare ? I'll try and test drive one, but I still value other peoples advice.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
budget for me depends on how much I could get for the Golf, but I don't intend to spend new GTi money. I paid 18k for the Golf exactly 1 year ago, whats the bettering i'm in for a shock ! I've found a sportback, new model which is less than 15k but has 40k on the clock and its a year old. Just don't know if I like the 5 door

1 - 20 of 27 Posts