Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any experiences or opinions on these?

Reason is that theres a couple of 2000 cars with reasonable mileage
sitting at around the top end of my budget, and to be honest Im quite
tempted.

IMHO they look a bit poo when compared to a golf, especially the 5
doors[+o(], but a 3 door in the right colour, with the right alloys can
look alright! And then there's always the 180bhp and 4 motion, which
are obviously both selling points, as is the fact its an audi (don't
get me wrong, I love VW).

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
685 Posts
Good cars, nice and quick (i feel in standard forms the GTI & 1.8T A3 the audi takes it).

Quattro is excellent.

Go for it!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like an excellent proposition. I would definatly! Quite rare aswell! Goodluck.
Yeah, thats the problem in finding one to my spec. It's going to take some looking, but I think the benefits outweigh that fact!

Peter

·
Registered
15 Posts
i bought an A3 1.8T sport just over two weeks ago and i'm well pleased with it.

my girlfriend has a mk4 and although i do love the golf the audi is set to a much higher standard / quality..

the build is amazing, really nice ride too. why not test drive one at a small dealers first.

make sure you get climate / leather / auto up windows with key fob / heated mirrors etc... nearly all of them came with that so make sure you get it!

·
Registered
516 Posts
My A3 although not a Quattro has a lot less rattle than my Golf (which is newer). I've driven a few quattros and you get a nice push from behind when booting it leavaing a corner. Extra traction is nice.

If it has aircon, it will have climate. They never came separate.

All will have heated mirrors.

If its got an alarm, it will have the rollup, rolldown feature on the key.

Later cars are 6 speed like the S3.

You don't have to worry about ARB issues if you lower it.

K03s turbo as standard.

Try to get a facelift model as the have one peice lights, nicer interior switch gear, illuminated airvent controls, better seats, ESP.

Downsides, you get slightly less boot space due to the rear diff etc, more stuff to service, so maybe more costly if it were to go wrong. Really needs a remap IMO to feel fast.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I considered an A3 1.8T Quattro; build & interior quality is better than MKIV but I went for a Golf for several reasons. This model of A3 seems quite rare hence difficult to find a good one, cabin is not as spacious as Golf, fuel economy alot worse than Golf(only 21mpg urban) and spec not great. Finally the price was an issue; same money could buy either a 2001/Y A3 or 2003/52 Golf...so the Golf seemed a better buy imo.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This model of A3 seems quite rare hence difficult to find a good one, cabin is not as spacious as Golf, fuel economy alot worse than Golf(only 21mpg urban) and spec not great. Finally the price was an issue; same money could buy either a 2001/Y A3 or 2003/52 Golf...so the Golf seemed a better buy imo.
Sorry, totally disagree on most points there. Except the rarity, which is definitely true!

I went from a 1.8T Golf GTI, to this 1.8T A3 quattro. Cabin space is identical, fuel economy is also identical - despite, before anyone says it, the extra "drivetrain losses" or whatever the usual argument is! Trust me, I know. I get 35mpg tank average from the A3 quattro, which is almost exactly what I got from the Golf.

The advantages of shorter gearing and an extra 30bhp makes it feel much faster than the 150bhp 1.8T Golf - although that could perhaps be said of the 6speed late-model GTIs.

And finally, the extra oomph when slingshotting out of corners that the quattro gives... it's absolutely worth every penny.

Go for it, I'd say! [:)]

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
AndrewB, long time no see, didn't even know you still frequented this gaff.

How long you have the A3? I was looking at a nice Denim blue quattro down the road from me on an 02 plate.... very tempted but didn't have the funds available [:(]

·
Registered
737 Posts
This model of A3 seems quite rare hence difficult to find a good one, cabin is not as spacious as Golf, fuel economy alot worse than Golf(only 21mpg urban) and spec not great. Finally the price was an issue; same money could buy either a 2001/Y A3 or 2003/52 Golf...so the Golf seemed a better buy imo.
Sorry, totally disagree on most points there. Except the rarity, which is definitely true!

I went from a 1.8T Golf GTI, to this 1.8T A3 quattro. Cabin space is identical, fuel economy is also identical - despite, before anyone says it, the extra "drivetrain losses" or whatever the usual argument is! Trust me, I know. I get 35mpg tank average from the A3 quattro, which is almost exactly what I got from the Golf.

The advantages of shorter gearing and an extra 30bhp makes it feel much faster than the 150bhp 1.8T Golf - although that could perhaps be said of the 6speed late-model GTIs.

And finally, the extra oomph when slingshotting out of corners that the quattro gives... it's absolutely worth every penny.

Go for it, I'd say! [:)]
Regards cabin space; I sat in the driver's seat and the width of the cabin at face level seemed wider in a MkIV.

Fuel economy figs as quoted in VW and Audi brochures: 23.9/42.8/33.2mpg(urban/extra urban/combined) for Golf and 21.6/37.2/29.7 for Audi ???

I was comparing an A3 1.8T quattro with MKIV 1.8T/180; Golf lacks 4wd but was almost 2 years newer for the same price hence why I thought it was a better buy.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I know what to look out for when buying now!

As far as i'm concerned, the plus points (180bhp standard, 4motion) outweigh the negatives (looks a bit [+o(] next to the golf imo). And at the end of the day im not bothered with how a car looks as long as its quick. Also, mpg and interior space arn't really what Im all about. And also, its as near as makes no difference a mkIV to me!

So Im pretty much 100% sold on buying one of these. Which means finding a good 3 door with the right spec. The plan is for me to keep the golf until this years insurance runs out, end of july, so I can use the no claims to its fullest. So if I find one before then, i'll purchase it, have it insured and owned by my mum, and then when I sell my golf, hopefully to my sister in law (it was my uncles, then my mums, then mine so id like to keep it in the family!), Ill get the insurance in my name!

Im going to keep it until it dies, so quite a while if all goes according to plan. Hopefully, the good standard spec will mean I won't have to modify too much of it to start with, apart from the obvious alloys and coilovers, so it can be a nice progressive build. In a few years I plan to fully strip it and go for 300+ bhp, and create a little monster!

Wish me luck in finding a good one!

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Do remember that the early 5 speed cars were the 150bhp engine - don't know which code - and the later six speed cars had the 180 bhp engine.

If you're on an OEM modding spree then many S3 parts will bolt straight on, suspension, brakes etc. and can be a cost effective modding route from S3 owners who've upgraded their cars.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do remember that the early 5 speed cars were
the 150bhp engine - don't know which code - and the later six speed
cars had the 180 bhp engine.

If you're on an OEM modding spree then many S3 parts will bolt
straight on, suspension, brakes etc. and can be a cost effective
modding route from S3 owners who've upgraded their cars.
I'm pretty sure (~95%) that all quattro's had the 180bhp engine. Obviously the 6 speed box would be nice though!

Yea S3 parts will always be welcome as a budget alternative!

Peter

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
looks a bit [+o(] next to the golf imo
You wouldn't believe the difference wheels, a colour coded S3 front valance and rear bumper makes to the car.

I wanted a TDI Quattro, but they really are like hen's teeth in 3 door form!.. but the even though I couldn't find one, mine was a lovely car. Look for a final edition, if you can find one - half leather Recaros, 17" RS4 wheels and some other goodies.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do remember that the early 5 speed cars were
the 150bhp engine - don't know which code - and the later six speed
cars had the 180 bhp engine.
No, all UK models are 180bhp, as only the 1.8T quattro Sport
was sold here: "Sport" designating the 180bhp engine. However, the
early UK models were 5 speed, and the later (facelift) ones 6 speed.
The facelift also got a different interior, projector headlamps, and
different rear light clusters.

The 150bhp quattro was only available on the continent, and was just labelled 1.8T quattro - no "Sport" designation.

Good point about the gearbox though [:)]

·
Registered
737 Posts
Do remember that the early 5 speed cars were the 150bhp engine - don't know which code - and the later six speed cars had the 180 bhp engine.
No, all UK models are 180bhp, as only the 1.8T quattro Sport was sold here: "Sport" designating the 180bhp engine. However, the early UK models were 5 speed, and the later (facelift) ones 6 speed. The facelift also got a different interior, projector headlamps, and different rear light clusters.

[:)]
Are you sure about that?; I thought that the "Sport" designation is a trim level ie. not unique to the 1.8T Quattro; all 1.8T(incl 150) sold in the UK were Sports and you could get 110/130 TDI Sports as well. That's what the Audi brochures say anyway..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do remember that the early 5 speed cars were the 150bhp engine -
don't know which code - and the later six speed cars had the 180 bhp
engine.
No, all UK models are 180bhp, as only the 1.8T quattro Sport
was sold here: "Sport" designating the 180bhp engine. However, the
early UK models were 5 speed, and the later (facelift) ones 6 speed.
The facelift also got a different interior, projector headlamps, and
different rear light clusters.

[:)]
Are you sure about that?; I thought that the "Sport" designation is
a trim level ie. not unique to the 1.8T Quattro; all 1.8T(incl 150)
sold in the UK were Sports and you could get 110/130 TDI Sports as
well. That's what the Audi brochures say anyway..
Im in agreement with Andrew about this. From all the research I've done, even the 5-speed UK cars had 180bhp.

Peter

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yes; I didn't agree with that fact. AndrewB is correct in saying that both 1.8T/150 and 180(Quattro) cars built upto the facelift in Sept 2000 had a 5 speed g/box. But after that the 180 gained a 6 speed g/box whereas the 150 continued with the 5 speed g/box.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Right, the following applies to the only quattro 1.8T A3 model sold in the UK:

- Only one 1.8T engine variant has been released: the 180bhp.

- All cars are attributed with the Sport tag, which has the sport suspension as per the standard A3/Golf 1.8T.

- Pre-facelift cars had a 5 speed gearbox.

- Post-facelift cars had a 6 speed gearbox, projector headlamps, different rear clusters, different interior, etc...

- There has never been a 150bhp 1.8T quattro A3 sold in the UK! If you find one, it's an import.

On the continent, the following models were sold:

- 1.8T 180bhp quattro Sport, i.e. the same version we have in the UK; and...

- 1.8T 150bhp quattro, without the Sport designation..!

i.e. Sport, with a 1.8T quattro, dictates the different between the 150 and 180 variants; with the 150 not being available in the UK.

One further source of confusion, perhaps, is the 1.9TDI quattro. That was available in 150bhp quattro form, in the UK. But that's not a 1.8T, and so it's not what we're talking about here.

Hope that clears it all up [;)]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts