Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Boss
1,287 Posts
Seeing as there is very little information for fitting these to mounts i thought i would make a lil how to guide.

First of all you will need to collect some parts to do the job.

You will need.

2X Audi 80/90 top mounts, I purchased mine from this place and they seem to be of a good quality.

2X Top mount nut. These are essential for completing the job, if you use the standard nut instead of these you will kill the top mount.

2X 6N0412319. top mount caps, you can still use the standard caps but it just wont look that great

Using the Noah's how to on coil over fitting to initially remove and strip the strut when you get to the point of re installing the top mount on the standard shock or a set of coils you install the Audi top mounts, these should come complete with bearings built in to the unit.

Once the top mount is installed run the nut as far down as it will go it should sit just proud of the rubber on the top mount.

12266220406_9e5db7c37d_b.jpg

At this point i used a drift to make the nut go a bit further down the thread. The correct tool to use is is supplied by Laser relatively cheaply and their reference is 3466.

Following on from that re install the strut as per the guide but instead of putting the top cap on, lower the car back down with the wheel on then give the nut a couple more taps with the drift or a final crank with the strut nut tool to fully seat it then screw the top cap back on.

As you can see the top mount sits properly into the strut tower unlike the 6N2 mounts.

12266223916_dc27287ac4_b.jpg

And a little comparison to the side of the standard top mount compared to the 80/90 ones.

12265796903_be9f96f2cf_b.jpg

This is how mine are sitting after they have settled down, so you can see why the polo caps should be fitted.

12326797015_c223d93f7e_b.jpg

After a week of driving on the new top mounts I removed the top cap to check for the tightness of the nuts and both of them needed a little nip to make them tight again.

There has been talk of the polo top cap being too small and has the potential for it to pull through the strut mount, I didn't ever have this happen to me but there is potential for it to happen when the shock has a harsh top out i.e going over a speed bump too fast or driving off a curb so please bear this in mind that this could occur.

I hope that this is clear enough for people to carry it out themselves and if any body takes any better / more pictures when they do it i will add them to the original guide.

Happy tinkering.

·
Boss
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it gives the option to go 12mm lower than standard mounts so you can maintain coilover damping rates for a comfier ride, or if you are running shocks and springs you can lower the front a lil bit if it doesn't sit right.

·
vaglife
1,727 Posts
ive tried loads of caps including 80 and urquattro caps and found the standard mk4 spring hat fits nice and snug upside down and looks so clean you would think it was made 2 fit

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.