Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So it looks like the crank drives the chain to the head, one cam runs through with a sprocket on the end which drives the pump. Internal meshed gears drives the other cam.
Yes...

What I'm not getting, though, is why the drive for the fuel pump doesn't turn when the cam clearly has a chain still connected.... even though its a bit looser than it should be.

Think I'm just going to hunt for a low-ish mileage engine and get it swapped....

Whatever is actually wrong isn't going to be cheap and this is making me ill (I'm not even kidding)

Either that or sell this spares/repair and grab something cheap (again). Am rather fond of this A5 though.
When it's not broken.

Dunno what else I can do.

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
I'd hunt for a replacement engine... and just replace than once the engine is out, instead of getting rid, i'd pull it apart to see what happened... that way you know next time how to sort it out plus you'll have a ton of spare parts ;).... I know you downsized so i hope you got enough space somewhere to store the old engine.

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
there must be some metal stuck somewhere... it's a head scratcher but i can't see any other reason for it not to turn it must be a piece of metal that blocks it... maybe it's sheered off from one of the 2 internal meshed gears.. either way unless the lot is taken apart you won't know....

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'd hunt for a replacement engine... and just replace than once the engine is out, instead of getting rid, i'd pull it apart to see what happened... that way you know next time how to sort it out plus you'll have a ton of spare parts ;).... I know you downsized so i hope you got enough space somewhere to store the old engine.
In the garden with a tarp over it….. most of the useful bits would go onto the ‘new’ engine anyway, they don’t leave much on them any more it seems.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
How doesn't the fuel pump drive turn though? You're rotating it with your hand in the video?
It’s not rotating it’s just moving about 5mm in each direction.
That’s as much as it moves (apparently there shouldn’t be any movement)

If I put a socket and long bar on it I could turn it over and it’d feel like there’s compression though. But it doesn’t turn when the engine turns on the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
there must be some metal stuck somewhere... it's a head scratcher but i can't see any other reason for it not to turn it must be a piece of metal that blocks it... maybe it's sheered off from one of the 2 internal meshed gears.. either way unless the lot is taken apart you won't know....
This sounds plausible to me if not for the fact that when we try to start the car on the key it sound perfectly normal.
No odd noises, rattling, banging, grinding, crunching, nothing. Just an engine turning over.

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
Since you aren't in a position to pull it apart, I'd just source a replacement engine and take it from there... yeah you're right but in some cases you can get the engine without the turbos, starter and gearbox... so block with the head etc all timed up.

I'll look for the capa engine see what I can find for less than 1500...

This doesn't seem half bad
AUDI A5 8T 3.0 TDI V6 DIESEL ENGINE CAPA CAP 236 BHP COMPLETE ENGINE | eBay

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Since you aren't in a position to pull it apart, I'd just source a replacement engine and take it from there... yeah you're right but in some cases you can get the engine without the turbos, starter and gearbox... so block with the head etc all timed up.

I'll look for the capa engine see what I can find for less than 1500...

This doesn't seem half bad
AUDI A5 8T 3.0 TDI V6 DIESEL ENGINE CAPA CAP 236 BHP COMPLETE ENGINE | eBay
There's a few on ebay, I've messaged most of them asking for mileage with some way of proving it for the cars history.

No point me buying something without proof or with high mileage, I may as well just do the chains on mine since I'd have to do them on the replacement as a precaution.

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
fix it sell it at full price... get a mk4 or mk5 r32 call it a day, both keep climbing in worth daily. the mk4 v6 4motion is just weaker version of the r32 anyway plus it lacks the nice upgrades the r32's have.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
If I fix it I'm about £8k in the hole with this car.. I'd be lucky to get £3.5k if I sold it, most likely £3k.. on a good day, less if I want it gone quick.
If I let it go for a grand now I'd lose about the same amount as if I sold it for £3k after it's fixed.:(

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Took £1250 for it, going tomorrow.
Also have a few hundred quids of spares to try and flog too..

This year keeps kicking me and I've had enough.

And I still need another car, which I don't want to deal with because the last one went pop.

Got jobs to do on the octavia, which I don't have time for (rear door window runner thingy and door lock gubbins) and the Leon needs a ccm which I don't have the enthusiasm for.

Oh.. and the vectra is in the garage which kirsty has lost the key to and doesn't remember the number.
I considered getting that back on the road but, currently, we know where it is without actually knowing where it is.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts