Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

i regularly do lots o miles everyday and thought that the bora 1.9tdi 150bhp would give me more mpg as its got a 6speed,

I have read that people have had 60mpg on the motorway but i have never got anywhere near it,

A full tank of total excellium diesel or shell v power diesel gives me 478 with conservative driving not even foot to the floor,

any ideas people, checked my tyres and they are on 30 bar of air pressure,

Kind regards,

Shazarda

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Sounds about right to me.

When working properly, mine use to return about 480 miles per tank.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is all motorway driving, if i do local it does even less, the trip is really off when driving, if i drive round local in third says its more economical than fourth?

·
Registered
49 Posts
try driving in a different gear, i have sometimes found that using 5th at 70mph can be more economical than 6th in certain conditions, it can also depend if your motorway sections are slightly uphill, what other weight you have in the car, outside temp, tyre pressures. There are a number of factors.

I am new to driving my diesel but when looking at the instant comsumption figures it surprises me how a minute amount of throttle pedal can drastically change consumption even for no appreciable gain or loss in speed. and how sometimes a gear i would expect to be more economical isn't and i'm actually better shifting down or up a gear.

Driving the same 20 mile route i can average 35mpg or 55mpg just by adjusting gear s election and driving style which i found quite surprising.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts