Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. but that heck in gods name is wheelhop!?!? people alwayts mention it with the Dogbone engine mount, but still i dont know what the actual term means! [:I]

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
When you drop the clutch and move off at a fast pace do you ever get a banging noise and the who car feels like it's going to hammer it's way into the ground?

EDIT: It happens when the wheels break traction with the road.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quote: posted by Benn130TDI on 26/01/2005 23:54:29

Is it different to wheelspin then?

Definition:

The suspension and engine are connected to the rest of the car with flexible, rubber bushings and mounts. This flex kills vibrations, but it also produces a secondary, unwanted, oscillatory mechanical system. Normally, this system isn't acted on in such a way that it oscillates. When launching, the weight transfers to the rear of the car, reducing traction in the front. As the front tires break traction, the forces on the suspension and engine also change, setting them into motion. When the tires grab again, the forces change back the other way, now applied to a system already in motion. Now we have an oscillating force applied to an oscillating system, much like a hitting a paddleball. If you apply force to the paddle to match the natural frequency of the ball attached to the elastic string, you can keep that system going all day. With wheel hop, the motion of the system feeds back to the wheels, causing the oscillating force to sync up with it. This will also go on all day

This is a defintion I found via the web, as it say, wheel hop is an effect of wheel spin.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by Stewart on 27/01/2005 01:23:29

We used to call it tramping in my old rally days [;)]

Its wheelspin but with the wheel hopping up and down...

Memories of Mk2s with cheap shockers.......

Doesn't happen these days with 50mm Ohlins[:D]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes i know what it is. I'm always flipping getting it in my 180!

I even try and not to accelerate too much in 1st now but sem to get it too easy in the wet!

TOO MUCH POWER!

Shouldn't VW have tested this out before upping the power to 180hp if its so damaging?

·
Registered
51 Posts
hmmm, I get this a lot, am I right in thinking better shocks and springs (more accurately FK coilovers) will aleviante this problem?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote: posted by Stewart on 27/01/2005 01:23:29

We used to call it tramping in my old rally days [;)]

Its wheelspin but with the wheel hopping up and down...

When did we start calling it "wheelhop" ?? Surely "Axle Tramp" is the correct term

·
Registered
83 Posts
I get it alot and i've got eibach coilovers etc if it is so bad how do we stop it and not stop being able to accelerate in 1st ?????

·
Registered
476 Posts
Risking the chance of being ridiculed against all you guys with turbos and V6 engines, but i get this as well in my 2.0. The roundabout close to the house is slightly on an upward slope on approach. So setting off gets the wheels going (if i don't accelerate really slowly and i mean slow - like a wheelspin but going up and down as well (for want of a better description) - happens fairly frequently now i think about it.

I've obviosuly got no ASR or anything like that and I had assumed this was the reason.

·
Registered
476 Posts
WSL_WIL, forgot to say, yeah, this is what's it's like on my car - when i starts, your going nowhere until i take my foot off the accelerator until it grips - it's a lot more exaggerated than a wheelspin. I mean a wheelspin eventually grips but this doesn't.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote: posted by Craig_C on 27/01/2005 16:03:26

Risking the chance of being ridiculed against all you guys with turbos and V6 engines, but i get this as well in my 2.0. The roundabout close to the house is slightly on an upward slope on approach. So setting off gets the wheels going (if i don't accelerate really slowly and i mean slow - like a wheelspin but going up and down as well (for want of a better description) - happens fairly frequently now i think about it.

I've obviosuly got no ASR or anything like that and I had assumed this was the reason.

Funnily enough ive noticed this in mine on an uphill slope roundabout. Seems to happen everytime but nowhere else apart from the roundabout.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Gets me a lot when i coming into work at the same roundabout. Setting off, going left, it does the jumping around if i'm not careful.

If that's enough, coming home, at the same roundabout, going right around to the right now, the car slides, like it's losing grip and sort of 'jumps' a little - i think they need to resurface it. Pain in the ass it is.

Everytime i go round this place with someone in the car they keep saying stuff like 'where's the fire' and 'who you racing'.....

I mean, I know the 2.0 isn't as fast as you guy's but it does feel suprisingly 'torquey' when it's setting off (up to about 20[:I]).

I dunno if the 1.8t has the same suspension as the 2.0 (probably better on the yours I would think) - maybe it's just the weight distribution of the MKiv car as whole rather than model specific?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts