Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to CAR magazine, the Astra VXR is due in the summer with 240hp and 230lb ft of torque. It should crack 0-60 in 6 seconds and max out at 150mph. Price is likely to be UKP19,000 and will include 19" rims, big brakes and Lotus-tuned suspension. Sounds like the Mk V GTI is going to have some serious competition. Oh, BTW, before anyone slags it off because it has the Vaux badge as opposed to the Volks one, take a look at it. The styling isn't everyone's cup of tea but I reckon we'll be seeing quite a bit of it later in the year.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Should be interesting!! is it a 2.0l turbo? 0-60 in 6 seconds i think! 150mph, looks may grow on us when we see it in the flesh (so to speak). Vauxhalls are reliable these days aren't they?

I test drove the mkiv Gsi and thaught it was great, just didn't have ?16,000 and still don't.

Don't know how heavy it is but should be king when it arrives, who will take the throne next, new R32? surely it will be too heavy with the V6 and 4WD mechanicals. Badge tarts will dismiss it straight away of course, but each to their own. Tempted, as a re-map should see 300bhp+ shouldn't it? Well it would if it were a VW......wouldn't it?

Just think, Mkvi Gti 250+bhp turbo, 4WD surely[}:)]

·
Registered
574 Posts
T Boy - In the last line did u mean MK6, or MK4?

I quite like the new astra, i think a modded one would look really good!

And this, if i remeber right from TopGear, looked well nice!

Im not a badge tart really!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote: posted by sdesailly on 28/01/2005 23:39:14

T Boy - In the last line did u mean MK6, or MK4?

I quite like the new astra, i think a modded one would look really good!

And this, if i remeber right from TopGear, looked well nice!

Im not a badge tart really!

I missed the Astra on Top Gear.

I was basically stating that the next Golf Gti, i.e. Mk vi should be a 4wd Turbo with at least 250BHP to see off the Astra!

·
Registered
143 Posts
The only thing I'm not sure about with this car, is the colour coded interior, bit halfrauds for me.

Other than that, it looks like a well specced car. However it is getting towards the limitations of 2 wheel drive.

You just know its gonna eat tyres.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of things are still speculative at this stage, based on the show car. However, CAR expects:

• Lower front spoiler and larger rear one.[:O]
  • Large central trapezoidal exhaust.
  • Black leather Recaros instead of the red colour-coded stuff.[^]
  • A weight of about 1300kg

I suspect that it might be a bit like the Honda, where the manufacturer has tuned it so much already that there is relatively bolt-on tuning that can be done.

BTW, Renault has gone back to have another go at getting the Megane right, there's a hotter Focus ST coming (220hp) and the new Leon is expected towards the end of the year. The hot hatch has truly made a comeback.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm after a bit more thought 0-60 in 6 seconds seems somewhat optimistic. The 197hp Astra SRI will do it in 7.7 and I've only seen 6.7 claimed for a 300hp Integrale weighing 1200kg.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Looking at the special edition of Auto Express I have conveniently positioned by the bog to read while contemplating life, I saw the test between the MKV Golf GTI and Astra SRI 200.

The SRi costs ?18445 so I would guess that the VXR will be at the GTi level of 21820 in DSG form.

I am not a Vauxhall fan, partly because of the badge and the stigma, but partly because almost every person I know with one say they are crap. My Astra 2.0 16v had so many faults it was unbearable. Plus resale values are shocking. My mate with an 03 GSi Turbo Astra has already lost ?7000 on the value of his car, in 2 years!

A great car it may be, but I wouldn't touch one with a stick.

[/?0.02]

·
Registered
586 Posts
Just thought I post some of pictures of it (this is the one right?)

Sorry about this first pic, must have corrupted on upload (will re-upload later)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's the one. The styling looks better in those shots than others that I have seen.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
it will be slightly different to the one in the pics

as said before it will have black seats and not the whore-house red

it will also have a single exit in the middle

the pics in autoexpress were of a car with no engine and the pic of it on the move was taken when it was being towed [:D]

it does look nice and the 240bhp with the 6 speed box will see the 0-60 at about the 6 secs mark

but as said before the re-sale values will be the down side to these and i know how bad this can be due to my GSI saga. in 5 months i lost just over ?2k on it [:(]

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Shame really when they first aired that shape (and clarkson said he'd eat his hair if it looked anything like the teaser pics) I liked it alot but over a year down the line I've kinda got bored with it? does that make sense? I would like to see some other colours!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yup, going to be a beast, with 19"s available form factory :D

Initial shape was....

http://images7.fotki.com/v109/photos/4/48802/198778/DSC00673-vi.jpg

Now more likly to be shaped like this..

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000450029300/

They are also doing a low boost version of this with just under 170bhp. Pffff, same engine as the current 200bhp lump, different map, could be interesting and a worthwile saving...

Who said vauxhalls are un-reliable???? Pffffff, my redtop is a great engine!!!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Quote: posted by Daimo on 17/02/2005 12:10:20

Who said vauxhalls are un-reliable???? Pffffff, my redtop is a great engine!!!

Is that a 2.0 16v 150bhp unit as used in the Astra GTE 16v and Cavalier GSi?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, i have the 20XE (no cat, coscast head, and im hoping the better mahle high compression pistons) that comes with 155bhp, there is also the C20XE with 150bhp, comes with cat.

The other one is the C20LET which is the turbo.

Obviously the new engine is the new breed lump.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Were the red top units not proned to porous heads?

If I recall correctly mine was a C20XEV - the Ecotec unit which I believe to be the same as the red top except for the injection system and 14 less bhp.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts