Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:|][:O]Driving thro town the other day and saw this billboard which read something like - NEW ASTRA THRASHES GOLF GTI - now im no fan of either car to be honest but i find the look of the new Astra repulsive!! Is it just hype or is the Astra the better model?]

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
it beats it on 0-60 and 1/4 mile and top speed

i.e. anything straight line / traffic light GP's basically!

Anything else the Golf wins I think (quality, residuals, handling, appeal etc etc)

It does have an extra 40bhp after all so it should be faster in a straight line.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Yeah we have a few of those around here.... shows Vauxhalls marketing team really have a lot of ideas eh.... lets quote one line of a car mag review which probably ultimately said the GTI was by far the better car, even if not as quick in a straight line.

·
Registered
632 Posts
i'll bet when you pull the door closed on the astra you still get that cheap 'clunk' and all the controls still feel plasticky.

you only get what you pay for in this world and you get the full package with the VW

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Here's a real life pic of one that I took.

Clarkson ragged one on TG and said the extra power through the front wheels made it handle like poo. He compared it to the Megane and GTI and said he'd still take the GTI over them.

Posted Image

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here's a real life pic of one that I took.

Clarkson ragged one on TG and said the extra power through the front wheels made it handle like poo. He compared it to the Megane and GTI and said he'd still take the GTI over them.

Posted Image
The one used on Top Gear was a preproduction car fitted with the SRI suspension. The link below shows a proper one. Doesnt seem too bad.

http://www.deepblue-r32.de/myfiles/R32-club/downloads/Golf5Videos/r32_vs_130i_vs_opc_(Kabel1).avi

Yes, I have sold my MKV for one.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Ever noticed how VW's rivals wait until they reveal their cars before
they dol their own? Classic e.g. - last year, Golf V with 200bhp,
then a few months later and the Focus with 220bhp comes out, then the
Astra with 240. VW should be flattered that other car
manufacturers wait to see what they've done before they bring out their
own version!

·
Registered
27 Posts
[:|][:O]Driving thro town the other day and saw this
billboard which read something like - NEW ASTRA THRASHES GOLF GTI - now
im no fan of either car to be honest but i find the look of the new
Astra repulsive!! Is it just hype or is the Astra the better
model?]
That ad's a bit lame really, isn't it..? I mean, they've gone all
out to make their car fast in a straight line (which is something
Vauxhall have always done with their performance cars...), but when you
look at it it's perfectly clear which customers they're after; namely
the Burberry baseball cap-wearing chavs who aspire to drive Mitsubish Evo VIIIIs and Subaru WRX STis, but can't yet afford the monthly payments...

The Astra VXR is tasteless, crass and totally lacking any class
whatsoever. It might be quick, it might handle (reasonably) well
and it might be cheaper than the Golf GTi, but the Golf
is clearly the better car. It has the subtle looks, the breeding,
the poise, the quality and the panache to compensate for it's 0.5 sec
slower 0-60 time and it's handful of MPH deficit at the top end.
Also, given that these benchmark times are meaningless in the real
world, it's probably unlikely (possibly very unlikely indeed...) that Gaz in his VXR will ever "beat" a well-driven GTi over a fast, sweeping road. In fact, I reckon it'd struggle to keep up, frankly - unless the Astra's driver really
knew how to drive - because that 237BHP is harder to harness and it's
being channelled through a harsh, inferior chassis. Potholes and
camber-changes will upset it and torque-steer will promote understeer
in tight corners......the Golf is simply the better car for the roads and for real-world driving.

·
Registered
44 Posts
[:|][:O]Driving thro town the other day and saw this billboard which read something like - NEW ASTRA THRASHES GOLF GTI - now im no fan of either car to be honest but i find the look of the new Astra repulsive!! Is it just hype or is the Astra the better model?]
That ad's a bit lame really, isn't it..? I mean, they've gone all out to make their car fast in a straight line (which is something Vauxhall have always done with their performance cars...), but when you look at it it's perfectly clear which customers they're after; namely the Burberry baseball cap-wearing chavs who aspire to drive Mitsubish Evo VIIIIs and Subaru WRX STis, but can't yet afford the monthly payments...

The Astra VXR is tasteless, crass and totally lacking any class whatsoever. It might be quick, it might handle (reasonably) well and it might be cheaper than the Golf GTi, but the Golf is clearly the better car. It has the subtle looks, the breeding, the poise, the quality and the panache to compensate for it's 0.5 sec slower 0-60 time and it's handful of MPH deficit at the top end. Also, given that these benchmark times are meaningless in the real world, it's probably unlikely (possibly very unlikely indeed...) that Gaz in his VXR will ever "beat" a well-driven GTi over a fast, sweeping road. In fact, I reckon it'd struggle to keep up, frankly - unless the Astra's driver really knew how to drive - because that 237BHP is harder to harness and it's being channelled through a harsh, inferior chassis. Potholes and camber-changes will upset it and torque-steer will promote understeer in tight corners......the Golf is simply the better car for the roads and for real-world driving.
You make some interesting points. However you might need to remove some of the rose tinted glasses.

1. Maybe their Ad campaign is working as this burberry wearing MKV GTI driver has sold his to get one. So you'd have to class the average GTI driver in the same context. I guess everyone on here is also an aspiring STI owner that just cant quite get the money together.

2. My Golf went as it looked like a 2.0 diesel, it eat a gearbox (quality my backside) and not ONCE did I get into it for a blast. Surely thats what a GTI should do - it should stir the soul.

3. The Golf is highly competent and I'm sure that on a drive the Golf will be as quick, BUT make sure your still awake. I actually like the idea that the VXR will be a bit more of a handfull and getting from A-B will be a bit more of a challenge, unlike the Golf where a learner driver could drive the car as fast as you. Cars are getting to competent and are only a challenge at very illegal speeds, the Golf is the best incarnation of this.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I've seen the VXR at the local dealers and it blows the Golf into the weeds for shear road presence, the ST isn't too bad either especially when its painted orange. The Golf has the more mature grown up look, which is reflected in its driving style. The best Hot Hatch now, is the Ford.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts