Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After test driving almost every new car and van ever made we think we'll get one of these and hire vans when needed.

The reasons?

Van finance was a rip off. Price was right but I REFUSE to pay ?3K+ on interest when I could buy the van outright (but won't)!

Astra looks nice (IMHO), drives well (we hired a few), can be bought on 0% with a biggish deposit, goes well in the powerful form, is now quite well made, has had rave reviews and cost a shed load less than the Passat equivalent (we are talking almost 50% less!) which although very nicely put together, is old hat and handles in a bargelike manner.

Setting up a business so need a workhorse and will get something tasty again once our company is listed on the FTSE 100 and we're both miyunaires (!!)[:D]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well no one's interested but...

Bought one.
Brand spanker, ?3.5K off list but got a Design (we'd have to wait over 10 weeks for an SRi!) with sight and light pack.
Silver lightning (grey/silver), Estate, 1.9CDTi 150PS.
Not thrilling but I think it'll do the trick for a while!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Auto lights, dimming mirror and ...errrrrrmmm something else (I've forgotten!).

Half leather seats, trip computer and a load of other gubbins.

Should be comfy and the 0-60 in 8.5s so not toooo slow.

Dull but handy and I'm 30 in two weeks so about time I got sensible.

My evil plot is that if I run something not very thrilling for a while, then I can justify something daft when/if our new company takes off!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Sensible purchase mate!

Definitely a better buy than a Passat- most people on here probably dont realise how good the new Astra is. I'd say quality wise its on a par with the mkV. And it handles well too.

Sounds like you've got a nice colour and spec too.[Y]

Good luck with the new business mate.[:D]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve - It was nice to look "outside" the VW/Audi box (which I've been stuck in all my driving life) and look at Fords, Vauxhalls and others.

Sure it's got no "status" attached but I actually like that - Too many people around driving piddly engined Audis/BMWs but thinking they have really made it because of the badge - Well past that now!

Of course when the new R32/36 comes ot I'll have a serious look but I will ONLY get one if it's genuinely very good (which my old R was), not because it's a top line VW product.

Vauxhall service also exceptional BTW.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Yes it gets on my t*ts a bit on here when peole say things like "I ould
never have a vauxhall" TBH our zafira has been twice as reliable as the
golf, has suffered half as much depreciation, and the customer services
is amazing, though I used be a peugeot man and am used to excelent
customer services, when i got a VW I was completely shocked at how bad
CS was, and to be honest if it wasnt for the 4motion being my ideal
car, I would not be driving a VW purely because of the poor CS, good
luck with the astra, I bet when you look at changing it in a few years
youll buy another Vauxhall as you will begrudge paying VAG prices again

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I've been looking at the Astra Sport hatch in SRi 150 trim, but I want the panoramic windscreen. It looks a very nice car does the Astra, although I haven't driven one yet. The new Focus.....well its not as sharp as the first one(which I have) but it is a very good car to drive. I'm still think a Mk5 GT TD will be the best replacement.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Astra is actually quicker than the Golf (very slightly) and I'm just sick of VW service, plus I got ?3k off list and I like the look of the Astra more.

I'd take one for a drive - As with the Focus, I was amazed how good it was. The Focus just lacks a punchy model at the moment.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
A mate got an Sri or Sxi (not sure which) in a coupe last week. Interior is leaps and bounds ahead of old model and it's not a bad car at all. Have one over a Focus anyday of the week.

He got a 1.6 though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Irish or anyone, a quick [6] question....

Can the engine be chipped on the 1.9?

It's 148bhp and 232ftlb standard which should push it along nicely but I'm sure there's more available with a bit of tweakery!

Would be a great sleeper if it had, say 180bhp and closer to 300ftlb!

Apparently Vauxhall are very anti chip though so it would have to be a covert job.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'm sure someone can chip it, after all its basicly the fiat engine. Tunit might do a plug in box. If not email superchips i'm sure they will tell you if they have something in the pipeline. The Focus should be getting the 2.2 TDCi thats in the Mondeo, the other option was the 2.5 D5 from the Volvo S60

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like Courtenay Sport are the boys to do it (in Norwich though!!).

?499 for a rise of 30bhp and 40lbft.

Picking the car up at 3.00pm (it's in but being cleaned, and other stuff) and I think the first trip will be to the sea for a surf straight afterwards!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow! What a great car!

It's got the sports pack so lowered and with 17" (225/45) alloys, darkened glass at the back and a magic "sports" button - Push it and suspension, dampers and throttle get more lively.

The handling is genuinely very good indeed - Almost no roll in sports mode, yet comfy too.

Shifts too - I'm realisitic that it's not quite R32 speed but it's still got that "push the back of your head" feel at the right revs.

Nice interior - Dash isn't VW/Audi quality but nice and solid and 1/2 leather sports seats work well - Drove to Devon for a surf and was comfy there and back.
Boards also fit in easily and had a great surf too![:D]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.