Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain this too me, what is going on!?!? Who was upset, which flags, why? (As published on the BBC Sport site):

Arsenal ban national team flags

Arsenal have asked supporters not to bring national flags to matches at the Emirates Stadium.

The move comes after some fans have been upset at the waving of certain countries' colours.

"Arsenal as a club prides itself on being inclusive with respect to all nationalities, cultural and ethnic groups," read a club statement.

"We are asking that only Arsenal flags, without any national emblems, are displayed within the stadium."

The statement added: "We will be implementing this policy with immediate effect."

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Bet if you were holding a French flag then you ll be fine. PC gone absolutely mental. Soon you wont be able to shout at matches aswell incase you offend/disturb someone whos trying to watch the game in peace. [N]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Why? Because those moving into our country are complaining about our countries flag, thats why, they find it offensive to see our flag, even though they moved here.

So what do we do? Become all PC and take our heritage away to suit them.

·
Registered
842 Posts
i say send them all back! if they want to move over to our country then they should have to join one of the 3 services and do some time fighting. give the other guys and girls that are away a break. it won't be long before we will have to all go back to school and learn to speak their lingo!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Who the hell is going to a football match & whinging about a flag? In fact, who the hell whinges about flags in general? I find absolutely nothing offensive about the standard flag of a country, saying you're proud of your country is not saying you hate every other country so I really can't understand what the issue is. I remember councils telling people not to fly England'a flag on St George's day, people need to seriously get a grip if they find that offensive, they must sit there thinking about what they can say offends them because their life is that sad that they've got nothing better to do. Pathetic.

·
Registered
414 Posts
As a gooner, I also find this ridiculous, but I also don't believe that anyone has complained about it (nobody would). I think it is the club, and in other situations the government and councils who are enforcing these ridiculous rules and it is them who are preventing people from integrating into our society and turning some of the population against any immigrants, ethnic minorities etc.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
As a toon I find this ridiculous. I will wave my England flag in public when the football is on, I will sing my England and football songs in the pub, and I will wear my England shirts when I want and where I want. I will wear my Hackett polo shirt if I want. You are in England. If you dont like English stuff, go somewhere else.

Indeed, I will put my XMAS lights up outside the house if I want, and I will bare my hairy beer gut and other flesh down the swimming pool regardless of who may be offended.

There is nothing offensive about a flag. It is just a minority who are still bleating on about silly things and using religion and beliefs as a sorry excuse to cause more trouble and press for more stupid rights just for the hell of it, that for some reason the goons up above seem to pander to.

I'm fed up of all the can't do this can't do that might upset certain people in our country; those who would be better off spending their time trying to integrate rather than claiming hurt feelings at the smallest thing.

Whatever happened to at least meeting half way??

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I still think this is more to do with the 'i'll sue you' culture.

Football grounds will have to start covering their backs incase people start sueing for hurt feelings, depression, mental scars etc etc. And believe me, it would be possible to sue arsenal for harrasmnent, racial abuse etc.

Someone innocently waving an england flag can so very easily be turned around to racial abuse and taunting, which in turn van mentally scar someone, enough for them to get laid off work through depression etc = one case against arsenal.

Think about it!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
The sad reality of modern culture all this claims direct bollocks.

And its our own people we trust to run this country that have dropped us into it over the last 5 years or so with daft laws and pandering to Brussels.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
It's only my theory and it sounds ridiculous, but hey, McDonalds were succesfully sue'd because someone got fat eating their burgers, so who am I to judge!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah, & don't forget that fella who tried to sue (can't remember whether he was successful or not though) the brewery where he was a beer taster when he ended up as an alcoholic.

There was also the woman who was using hairspray when the nozzle blocked so she shoved a knife into the nozzle to try to clear it while standing next to a couple of candles &, as you'd expect, killed herself. Her daughter then tried to sue the company who made the hairspray despite it having "WARNING: DO NOT PIERCE CAN" & "HIGHLY FLAMMABLE, DO NOT USE NEAR A NAKED FLAME". She didn't win but it just goes to show what sort of culture we live in these days, it's crap

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
All down to our friends at the no win no fee solicitors, yet another leech bleeding the system dry and ultimately leaving is with less and less disposable income each month...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Im suprised the true gooners (which I know alot of) havent all got together and turned up at a live on Sky game, with as many National flags as possible. As the ban is a blanket ban (for all national flags) why not turn it into a international flag demo - make the whole of that massive stadiums concrete walls half way round full of flags.

This is yet another stupid rule put in place which those that come up with them know that us British will just sit there and take it - moan about it yes, but do anything? oh no!.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Something shoukd be done like the Liverpool fans did at the Liverpool / Arsenal game last night.

For six minuites thay chanted a protest while holding cards up.

Awsome.Simply awsome.

Even Henry commented after the game about the noise,as well as the two commentators,saying how you couldent ignore it.

Hats off the the Kop and up the Arsenal

·
Registered
674 Posts
yeh that protest was awesome. It wouldn't work at Arsenal though, too many people who refuse to sing and take part. I love my club but I wish these fake fans / city types would F U C K OFF!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Something shoukd be done like the Liverpool fans did at the Liverpool / Arsenal game last night.

For six minuites thay chanted a protest while holding cards up.

Awsome.Simply awsome.

Even Henry commented after the game about the noise,as well as the two commentators,saying how you couldent ignore it.

Hats off the the Kop and up the Arsenal
Yeah, I'm an Evertonian so I'm not a fan of Kopites but I'm right behind them over the Hillsborough stuff & I've got to hold my hands up, that protest was brilliant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts