Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

ARRGGHH Had to break into my own car!!

2K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Gti Fly 
#1 ·
I knew it was coming. Had the car for a year & half now and managed to successfully avoid it. But yesterday whilst polishing my car for the Donny South show at the weekend I managed to Lock my keys in the car ! [:'(]

The windows were down and I had somehow previously pushed the button on the doorhandle to lock all the doors, whilst leaning into the car to get something. A bit later, not really thinking, leant through the window turned the key in the ignition and pulled the window up buttons to let me clean the windows. The windows auto closed leaving me on the outside & my ONLY key locked in, in the ignition! [:mad:]

I am such a DONKEY.

I Considered ordering a new key but this would take days and im not leaving my car outside with the key in the ignition ready to steal, so much to my mums amusment I decided to smash the drivers window. DOH.

I spend all day waxing the car and then have to hit it with a hammer. Im so sorting out a spare key ( and a new window which luckily isnt that expensive) before I do this again, right now.

Ive got my fingers crossed that the local breaker's has one going spare or its off to the stealer to pay ?39 for new glass [:(]

See less See more
#2 ·
I had to smash someone elses window once (they had crashed, were upside down and we wanted air in the car, all doors were jammed!! That was hard enough as it was a brand new audi!! But doing your own must be a complete nightmare!

I have only one key too, maybe I will be doing the same one day! [:S]

#3 ·
Couldnt you use the olds hanger trick as I did the exactly the same on
my dads 330ci when he baught that brand new about 4 years ago he locked
them in the car, so out came the old hanger and it worked but you had
to catch the handle at the same time as the locke went up otherwise
there was no chance. Also we could'nt yse the spare key as the car was
just delivered to our house and all the keys were in a bunch and inside
the car.

#8 ·
Not an AA member and it was 6.30pm last evening so no locksmiths around :-(

I did consider it though, I just could'nt risk leaving it overnight with the keys in the ignition!!

My brother informs me after I smash the window his mates dad is a locksmith and could have got in for me. Nice one. Needed to know that 2hrs earlier.

#13 ·
How can you just order the blade part? I would assume that you would nned to have a key code or somesuch thing so that they can cut you a new blade? Thats not much good if your keys are locked inside the car.
On the flip blade keys the blade is removeable, if its just a spare your looking for simply to let you into the car if you lock yourself out then this is the cheapest option.

You have to either fax a photocopy of your key or give them your key number so they can cut one to match.

#14 ·
How can you just order the blade part? I would assume that you would nned to have a key code or somesuch thing so that they can cut you a new blade? Thats not much good if your keys are locked inside the car.
On the flip blade keys the blade is removeable, if its just a spare your looking for simply to let you into the car if you lock yourself out then this is the cheapest option.

You have to either fax a photocopy of your key or give them your key number so they can cut one to match.
Yep thats what they said when i called them. send a photocopy of the key blade for them to copy it. ?10 + p&p. Seems a little dodgy though. Icant see how they can be accurate enough from photocopy. From a digital photo maybe?

Has anyone actually used the company mentioned and had a decent result with regards to the key actually working and being accurate?

#15 ·
My keys are no longer in the car. I smashed the window to get them out! I just want a spare so it doesnt happen again.

#16 ·

Yep thats what they said when i called them. send a photocopy of the key blade for them to copy it. ?10 + p&p. Seems a little dodgy though. Icant see how they can be accurate enough from photocopy. From a digital photo maybe?

Has anyone actually used the company mentioned and had a decent result with regards to the key actually working and being accurate?
We use them all the time...........top notch company

#18 ·
Ive got my fingers crossed that the local breaker's has one going spare or its off to the stealer to pay ?39 for new glass [:(]
Recently had my window smashed, payed ?27.61 for a front door (for a 5dr Golf) plus ?108.75 for labour, both without VAT.
I finally got the glass for ?34 Inc VAT which I thought was ok. I expected like ?80 or something! Im a legend at fitting now after doing the regulator clips recently! So fitting it myself.

#23 ·
ROFL! Can I leave my spare at home? Pretty please?? If it makes you feel better, it'll take me what, best part of 2 hours to get home on the 414 bus [;)]

PS - on a serious note, was I supposed to get a plastic master key with my car, cos I've not found it yet!

#26 ·
Sorry to hear that tim.

I once did a similar thing in my car.

I was parked up in a pay and display, waiting for my mate. I was
sitting in the passenger side, with the door open. I lent
over and central locked from the drivers side.

My mate showed up, and I got out of the car, and slammed the door shut.

Not realising my keys had fallen outta my pocket and onto the passengers seat!

Luckily somehow my friend managed to hook the keys out through the
sunroof which was on Tilt position. Took almost 90 mins!

I contemplated busting the drivers door lock open to u know what. Fortunatly I didnt have to..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.