Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ppl,

Plan to install the front arm rest in my Golf IV. does this means that i cant access the handbrake while the arm rest is down, or is the position slightly offset from the handbrake? thanks if anyone with armrest install could give an idea.

Thanks

aero

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have the arm rest, with it down it is slightly more awkward to access the handbrake with the rest down, but the armrest will go lower than a 90 degree angle, so it's not too much of a problem really. I mainly do motorway journeys and so I don't use the handbrake much anyway! The armrest is a really useful thing IMO.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Agreed, my armrest is always down, a couple of clicks up from the lowest setting makes it about horizontal.

Does not get in the way of the handbrake at all, as long as your handbrake only comes up 4-5 clicks when fully on and you dont have massive hands then its great.

The girlfiend hates it though and puts it up out of the way when she drives.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Every time i drive something without a centre arm rest I feel naked (not that type of naked) if you know what I mean[:D]

·
Registered
333 Posts
I love it, would defo recommend however my girlfriend and mum both hate it and put it up so its down to personal taste, id say even around town its good cause its nice to be able to rest the arm on something, but then i dont tend to use the handbrake except for when i park, just use footbrake so guess it depends on driving style too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have my armrest on the lowest setting that way it doesnt impede me changing gear - and you get used to it being there with regards to the handbrake.[;)]

As has already been said - I'd feel strange it not being there now - very comfy around town & motorway driving - makes you feel very relaxed whilst driving. [:D][:D]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Every time i drive something without a centre arm rest I feel naked (not that type of naked) if you know what I mean[:D]
lol, not just me then. Took a bit to get used to it and now it stays down and feel naked without, i mean where am i supposed to put my arm?! [:D]

·
Registered
352 Posts
I can't change gear properly when I have my arm rest down. I thought it was the same for everybody! Does that make me a freak?!

·
Registered
641 Posts
No doesn't make you a freak, different peoples preference. I find if you have it two clicks from the 90 degree angle changing gear is a hole lot easier.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I have mine out of the way all the time, i think its a real waste of space
You're the first person I have ever heard say that.........I'd never buy another car again without one
make me the second person......impedes handbrake, to the point that a couple of times my car has fallen off the drive, and makes gear changes quick driving gears changes annoying/difficult.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
fitted my the other week got a cheapy bracket so bought a decent one
from stealers, - best thing since sliced bread! both in town and
motorways

1 - 17 of 17 Posts