Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My heads going round in circles. I have 3 R32's, all of which I could pay for and pick up this weekend (sooner if I could get to them!)

I would have any of them. However, after thinking through thouroughly each one and thinking through the financial aspects, the only thing thats stopping me is my location.

As my of you know, recently moved and it's shared ownership. 35 houses in your typical cul-de-sac type of arrangement. Nice enough houses, nice enough people. BUT. About 16 kids. By kids I'm talking 4-13 year olds. I have two parking spaces and am right at the end of the cul-de-sac, so the best place really to be as it's a lot quiter. But, I also have a small playground right next to my parking spaces (which are also opposite my house). One of the parking spaces the neighbour uses for his motorbike as I don't use it at the moment. That one has the playground fence seperating the space from the playground. The next one, the motorbike seperates my car from the playground.

The playground is a nice little playground, non of the prison wire fences, proper metal rail fence etc. just so happens that the gate to access this is right outside my parking space. The kids leave their little scooter things there while they are in there etc. The kid's are not a nuisance in any way. Thing is, one of them was speaking to his mate in the playground while tracing my VW logo on the golf with his finger. I couldn't care less on this golf, but....what if that was an R32.

Then you got everyone else around you. most car's are on M plates upwards, with the majority being under W plates. People here are in shared ownership simply as they are lower income families.

Bloke next door to me has a Mitsubishi warrior, has had no trouble. Down the road, a 55 plate Audi S4. A MK5 GTI next to that one. Those are the only 3 cars that are decent in the whole 35 houses.

Would this put you guys off? I don't mind the kids, but I'm extremely close to that playground and it could potentially get scratched or fallen into very easily. You know what kids are like at that age getting onto bikes! If they did that now, with the diesel there, I would make sure the kid was ok and wouldnt worry about the car. If I did that when an R32 was there I would make sure the kid was ok but at the same time cry about the car.

What would you do guys? Like I say, bloke with the warrior has had no trouble and that sticks out onto the road over the pavement. But he's not so close to the playground! Only other option I got is keep the R32 in the garage at my parents place, but it's 20 miles away. Would have to drive 20 miles just to pick it up.

Garages are available about half a mile up the road, on a very dodgy council estate. No thanks. Like chav central.

It's the only thing stopping me having an R32. Comments?

Disclaimer: I do realise that I have gone on about this R32 for ages, but I have never ever had money to spend on such a nice car!! Having had a Mk3 for a while and not caring about it, having 15-17k sat outside with kids around it is now a scary prospect!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Wire up the VW logos to 400,000 volt power supplies.

Or... become the cool R32 dude that all the kids like and talk to, so they all look out for your car [Y]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
personally i would just go with the R32 and just keep it on your driveway.. if anything buy a cover to stick over the car when your not there.. and ask the neighbours to keep a look out.. i know it sounds cheeky but my neighbours always keep a look out on the cars that are left on the driveway.. also install a 2-4 camera cctv just for that extra peace of mind.. in my house we've got 12 cameras but its like 2 at the front and 10 at the back.. ( only reason for so many at the back as our house was burgald (sp) and we know they came from the back so now we've got the garden on lock down lol.. so we know if anythings been disturbed we can just rewind and see what it was [:D] ) hth

Sat [y]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't there be a serious problem if I installed CCTV right next to a playground!? Easy enough to do with a webcam, and good idea as you could keep it on the car. But major major issues because of the filming kids thing! Never a good idea. Imagine if one of the dads saw a webcam in the window! [:$]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Thats why you dont point the cams at the kids mate [;)] your allowed to have cctv but only allowed to record your driveway etc.. as i cant adjust my camera to look at my neighbours driveway as that would be invading there privacy etc.. so as long as you can prove that your camera is only pointing/viewing your own drive your perfectly allowed to have it.. (also your proof is your screen with the picture showing the camera in action)

Sat [y]

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can install cctv looking over a public place if you haver reason enough to do it (ie looking at your £17k car!) the problems u got are 1) there may be an issue with the kids parents (ie them thinkin your lookin at the kids!) and 2) even if you see a kids scooter fall on your car, unless it is obvious that they did it intentionally there is nothing at all you can do about it (unless small claims ect but that is a complete waste of time and money)and if the kid is under 9yrs old it dont matter if they did it intentionally or not!

But where do you draw the line? it is more likley to get damaged on a large car park or a pub car park. The CCTV is a good idea for keepin the crooks away but not for checkin up on the kids.

I'd get a car cover from e-bay and leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Stop looking for excuses not to buy the car! lol

First it was distance, then it was the issue about CatD, now its little kids with scooters! Just go out there and buy the car, think about it this way.. the money that you now have is something that you never expected to get, its extra dollar that you should just go out and spend/invest take advantage buy yourself something nice dont worry about little kids because your car could get damaged whilst you are at work, what about all the pikey mo-fos that come in to the surgery? or when you go food shopping? the list of reasons and places where your car could get damaged are endless.... forget about it all go out buy the R get some decent insurance, buy a tracker if it has not already got one and you could invest in a car cover for those occasions that you are not using the car (cant see there being many) .........

enough of the talking already get out there and spend some money!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stop looking for excuses not to buy the car! lol

First it was distance, then it was the issue about CatD, now its little kids with scooters! Just go out there and buy the car, think about it this way.. the money that you now have is something that you never expected to get, its extra dollar that you should just go out and spend/invest take advantage buy yourself something nice dont worry about little kids because your car could get damaged whilst you are at work, what about all the pikey mo-fos that come in to the surgery? or when you go food shopping? the list of reasons and places where your car could get damaged are endless.... forget about it all go out buy the R get some decent insurance, buy a tracker if it has not already got one and you could invest in a car cover for those occasions that you are not using the car (cant see there being many) .........

enough of the talking already get out there and spend some money!
A slap in the balls well deserved and well needed!

I have just put a deposit down on this:
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/r32sale.html

[:D]

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Good call [Y] ... congrats man that is going to be one hell of ride... [:D] very jealous indeed... 5 door is cool as well!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good call [Y] ... congrats man that is going to be one hell of ride... [:D] very jealous indeed... 5 door is cool as well!
It is one hell of a ride. Was in it at the weekend. The blacked out windows make it completely black. I don't mind 5 doors, I often carry a lot of stuff around with me, so makes sense to me.

Still needs running in!

Andy, sorry mate!! [:p]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I have a similar problem where in my student house its in a small cul de sac, now obviously every family has at least 3 kids and their always p1ssing around, playing football/riding bikes etc near the cars parked on the side of the road, really annoys me. One kid i saw leaning on the front wing of my car, then later found several non-polish-outable scratches in that same part of the car. [8o|] Thing is i dont want to tell them off or antagonise them for fear of them getting the hump and keying it or something.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts