Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here goes (get ready for a rant!!!).................

Bought a car on Saturday and p/ex'd mine. Told the salesman I wanted to transfer my reg no and was told that it will take a while but should be done by mid next week, ie week commencing 2/10/06. He gave me a finance quote, which was at over 7% apr. I told him I'd have a look around and see what else I can get it at. He told me to come back to him if I found anything cheaper.

On Monday I get a call saying that they don't have the V5 document so the transfer will take longer - about 4 weeks, but I can have the car now on the original plates and hold mine on retention. I told him I wasn't sure about this and wanted it all done in one go really. We chatted for a while about it and in the end I told him that I'd discuss it with him on Thursday.

So today comes. I go to the garage and the car looks stunning. But they still don't have the log book. "I'd rather wait until the log book arrives before accepting delivery", I tell him. "You can't do that. This sale has to go through in September. If you don't complete the deal, the car will be put back on the forecourt and you'll have to pay for the service and valet that we've done (at least), or lose your cash deposit at worst", he replied.

I also tell him that the finance is too dear and I can get it at 5.7% from Alliance and Leicester, Northern Rock etc. "Can't lower the apr for you. You'll have to take our finance because if you try for a loan now, the deal will not go through until October and we'll have to put the car back on sale and you'll lose your deposit", he tells me.

I explain that I won't accept the car without a log book and tell him that the car has actually been mis-represented in any case, as it doesn't have cruise control, which was how it was advertised on the t'internet so I'm entitled to my money back!

Anyone got any comments or advice please!!??

Dave (not a happy bunny [:mad:]).

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Dave, bad news fella. Is it a main dealer? Surely he's just trying it on because his sales figures must be a bit low for September, or is it a new car which has an offer price on it for September? He can't make you buy it this month, did you sign anything to that effect?

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a used car so there's no offer on it. Yes, it's a main dealer and I agree with you - I think it's to achieve sales targets. I did sign to take delivery on the "order form". However, they have since said that they do not have the V5 and therefore I will not accept delivery of the car. I've spoken to Consumer Direct and they confirmed that I was correct to refuse delivery as the seller must have the legal documentation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would walk away as a matter of principle, clearly the dealer sees you a bag of money.

As for the transfer of plates, well I bought a used car, not from a main dealer, and he wanted to keep his private plate, therefore newly register the car for me. As standard this takes about 4 weeks and I drove the car on his plates for that time having politely agreed with him that I would take extra care during that time and own up to any speeding offences should they occur! Only thing was that the tax disc was sent away with the plate registration form so had to be careful where I parked.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You are well within your legal rights to cancel the order and get your full deposit back. The salesman is trying it on - bigtime.

Name and shame the dealer on here - no questions...

And then maybe call the Manufacturers head office Customer services department and put a complaint in. I would have cancelled it the second they said "you would have to pay for the service and the valet"!! Talk about taking the micheal bolton!

They have not kept up their part of the contract you signed - delivered you a car legally with the V5 - and as for the transfer you can get the car plated yourself quicker then 4 weeks I believe so this salesman really doesnt know what he is doing..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Don't get hung up on the apr difference with the loan either. Lookm at the total repayment cost at the end of the period.

I recently bought a new car and was going to take out a loan at 5.7% apr. The dealer had a look through his possible packages and came up with a deal that was 7.0% apr. Looks bad at first, but the cost per month was £1 more over the same term for the same amount. Basically the deal the dealer offered was a lot cheaper with the payment protection for the same levels of cover, so apr amount don't always mean anything.

I'd investigate the monthly and total costs very closely and compare. At least doing it through the dealer you are saving time with the money tranfer process.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will take up the issue with HO at a later date, as soon as I recieve my deposit back. To be honest, it's the fact that he has said I'll have to pay for the valet and service unless I take the car today that's annoying me more than anything. I told him at the time, if they attempted to do this I would never buy VW again.

I think the 4 week wait for the transfer is because of the fact that they don't have the V5 at the moment, but to be honest that's not my problem, it's theirs!

I'm so tempted to name and shame but will wait for the outcome of this first.

Anyway, here's the letter I'm about to send.... Feel free to comment.

Further to our meeting earlier today and having sought professional advice, I am informed that I am correct in my decision to refuse delivery of a vehicle that is not accompanied by the relevant V5 proof of ownership document. This document should be made available by the seller to confirm to the purchaser the legal right of sale, which it has not.

During our initial discussions, we were advised that the cherished plate transfer would take seven days. I have since been advised that due to the lack of the legal ownership documentation, this will actually take in the region of four weeks, which is unacceptable.

Furthermore, I am also rejecting the vehicle as it has been misrepresented, claiming that the vehicle has cruise control, which it does not, and contravening the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

In light of the above, I will be calling into the branch on Saturday 30th of September for the return of my current vehicle's documentation and for a full refund of my deposit. This matter has been reported to the Consumer Direct organisation and to Trading Standards.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't get hung up on the apr difference with the loan either. Lookm at the total repayment cost at the end of the period.
Funnily enough, that's exactly what he said.........you don't sell finance do you????!!!! [;)]

I did actually compare the overall amount repaid. I could get it for about £500 cheaper - not a lot, I know, but I'd rather it was £500 in my pocket than someone elses!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Think I'd be bringing up the vallet and service bullying comment!... because thats what it is at the end of the day! Bully boy tactics! which are illegal!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Think I'd be bringing up the vallet and service bullying comment!... because thats what it is at the end of the day! Bully boy tactics! which are illegal!
Definitely, and if you have the salesman's name stick that in it to and copy it to the boss. Further more mention the fact that is now illegal (since the new V5C) to attempt to sell a car without the V5C.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Further more mention the fact that is now illegal (since the new V5C) to attempt to sell a car without the V5C.
I didn't know that!!!! Not that I doubted you (!) I've had this confirmed by the DVLA. Cheers for that - very interesting!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Further more mention the fact that is now illegal (since the new V5C) to attempt to sell a car without the V5C.
I didn't know that!!!! Not that I doubted you (!) I've had this confirmed by the DVLA. Cheers for that - very interesting!
Definatly illegal! think it even says it on the V5! He could be right up pooh creak even tryin to palm you off with a car without it!

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right, that's it then. The letter has been faxed and sent recorded delivery so I'll be going in to (hopefully) collect a full refund and all my documents on Saturday. From what's been said here and from what I've found out from consumer direct, they shouldn't have a leg to stand on.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Time for a quick update.

The dealer is now saying that they do in fact have the V5 however, not all of it and not the part that is needed forthe reg. transfer, which will mean a 4 week wait. They're trying to claim that there's a disclaimer on the website stating that the cars might be a different spec at the dealer.

I've since spoken to a solicitor and consumer direct, who have both said it's irrelevant that there's a disclaimer as it is a statutory right, which cannot be taken away. I've also reported the matter to customer services at Milton Keynes and also to Paul Willis. I've been given a case number and a name of someone who will be investigating the matter. VW customer services have even admitted that the car has been misrepresented and I should be given a full refund!!!

Meanwhile, the MD of the dealership is "unavailable" all day so the refund can't be authorised (huh?). Anyway, I'm just about to fax another letter to tell them to get the authorisation for tomorrow when I'll be calling at the branch and asking (loudly but politely!) for my refund. Oh, and if anyone's in the Shropshire area, PM me and I'll tell you when I'm going to be in there!!!! Maybe you could pretend to be about to buy a car until you witness how the dealership treat their customers!!!! LOL

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
as from 2002 it is illegal to sell a car without handing over the V5 document, so you are complying with the law, THEY are NOT.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Go see the salesman, and ask to speak to his manager. And dont leave until you have.

This guy is blatently trying to top off his figures for the month and his own bonus.

He has let you down and is trying to make out that you are the one letting him down. very clever...

If he has no V5, he legally cannot sell you the vehicle, as he cannot prove it is his to sell.

Not only that, he should not pressure you into the sale by saying you are half way in and financially liable for anything. Filthy tactics.

As for the misdescription, print a copy of the advert before it may get amended, and use it as your trump card if it all gets messy...

I'd speak to this guys manager, and explain exactly what has happened and been said. Kick up enough stink and it should get sorted.

As for the car, however good it is, do you really want to deal with people like this any further??

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@ MikeTDI - Yeh, you're absolutely right although, I have to admit, I didnt know at the time that it was illegal, just unwise to buy a car without one!!

@bazking69 - It does certainly seem like he wants to up his monthly sales!! The misdescription was printed off as soon as I noticed it and I've sent a copy of it to Paul Willis along with copies of all the letters to date, the case ref. no. and the whole story from start to finish. I've been in contact with the sales manager today and told him that I want my deposit back, he's trying to get me to take the car still but even if he retro-fits the cruise, which he said he'll do FOC, it still doesnt help with the long delay to put my plates on and it doesn't help with the way I've been treated so far. I basically told him that and confirmed that I wanted a full refund. He's told me that he can't authorise it, only the GM can, and he's busy all day today.....surprise surprise!!!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Given the saga so far, I would be as displeased as you. I think it is disgraceful that the hassle is being put on your for their errors. You shouldn't be told that you are obliged to see the sale through despite their catalogue of errors.

I'd persist and go right to the top to get your deposit back.

I remember when I bought my Golf. The guy assured me all the paperwork was intact and keys present. Yet after I had paid for the car and handover came, I was handed a pile of paperwork and one key. No leather folder, no owners manuals, no spare key. I wasn't happy, and although he promised me it would be sorted in a few days, it took numerous visits on the way home to finally get a new binder, manuals and key in my hand. Plus I had to leave him the car and drive a green Matiz for a day while he got it programmed!! That was on top of the 2 times it went back for warranty work, once for 5 days, whilst I was stuck with that same 800cc Matiz!!

Just took the shine of buying the car a little...You always want everything to be perfect and run smoothly...

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Absolutely, that's all I wanted when I "bought" this car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts