Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sis hit into a jeep at the round-about!!!

she said there was no damage to my car, but i've just seen it! the vw sign at front is broken and can fall out, whislt the cicular bit round it is a bit damaged- the paintwork, the bonnet luks ok, but will be able to tell in the light tommorow!

cant believe it!

anyone know of a new grill bit for the mk5. could go gti stlye? foxy- group buy time pls?!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
i also had an accident in my car today, which involved one 18" alloy wheel and a very nasty kerb!!! what can i say apart form the wheel hasseen better days, i could have honestly of nearly burst into tears!!!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry to hear that rot, part of life eh?!!

yes my bonnets is scrachted and gone in a bit. i've looked after this car so well, now this has happened it just doesnt feel the same! sis's excess is steep as shes only 18. so wondering how much a new bonnet and gril is gona cost.

i fancy going down to the dealer to get a 2 litre diesel now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hope its not too expensive businessboy, ive made a few phone calls about my wheel and because it is diamond cut or something its going to cost me rouglhy ?100!!!! not a happy man this morning

·
Registered
3 Posts
only had my 1.6 fsi 3 weeks and i don't think i've ever had such bad luck! it was keyed whilst parked in a shopping centre car park two weeks ago, driven into whilst parked again in a public car park last week (crunching the back bumper) and in a panic to avoid a absolute nut case driving down my road at three times the speed limit tonight-scrapped the rear quater panel damaging the pearl black paint leaving a nasty dent. I'm distraught and starting to believe the car is cursed! insurance claim is a certain no no as my premium will grow out of control & i honestly don't think i can afford the repairs for months as i've already stretched myself financially to make payments for the car every month. i wish i'd just kept my mk4 now!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not good snapshot!! sorry to hear that, am sure things will be fine in the future, bet you enjoying the mk5 driving exp.

where in london are ya? some parts are dodgey! it's an awful feeling getting something new and then it gets damaged!!

i've t-cut and polished away my scratches on the bonnet, only a tiny dent now. might get a new grill bit if i can be bothered, but will hopefully change the car later this year!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey - I was just about to start a new topic and then I saw this. It must be open season on Golf Vs. I just pranged mine as well - 1 week before Xmas, up in the wilds of Northern Scotland.

...and I must say, whilst with other conditions the V has superb handling, on snow -it is pants!

Also have to add that my driving was pretty pants as well which led to the prang.

Was early evening and the temp had dropped from about 0 degress Cent. at sunset to -16C (yes that's right! - the farmer who pulled me out of the field confirmed it) - that temp drop in about 2 hours! Anyhow, it had been snowing all day but the snow had been slushing on the roads due to the gritters being out and about.

I was going back home down a little country lane (which had not been gritted too much) and could feel car getting jittery (little orange steering wheel icon flashing). Was doing about 10mph in 2nd when came to a steep descending off-camber right hander. Stupidly braked instead of dropping down into 1st. Car immediately started sliding and "tobogganing" out of the back of the curve in a straight line. Orange steering wheel icon went crazy and I could feel ESP trying to brake various wheels with no success.

Tried releasing brakes and pointing wheels into curve and gunning the engine but absolutely no effect.... except when I hit the verge when it suddenly gripped and threw the car round a bit. But by this time the car had so much straight line inertia, that it only went round by about 45 degrees but still continued on, up and over verge/bank and ploughed into the fence posts of field beside.

Damage: my pride (no accidents for last 20 years - now busted!), baseball sized dent in left wing. Sill bent up towards passenger door (but amazingly no damage at all to the door or mirror!?!) Scratches on left valance and skirt. Bust foglight and LHS grill around foglight, Broken spoiler.

Also managed to break RHS foglight grill when trying to pull it out to put towing eye in. Needed a tow off the verge by local friendly farmer, who wouldn't take any money for the tow nor for the two or three fence posts that I had demolished - nice guys up north aren't they?

Went into dealer and asked for a quote: ?702. Ouch! Then I declared to insruance only to be told my excess was ?400! Ouch! Ouch! (Apparently when I asked for my excess to be raised TO ?250 to cut premium they have taken that to mean raise it BY ?250 - and guess who didn't read the smallprint - !*&%?$!)

Now wondering whether to try and get a lower quote, hopefully getting it nearer the ?400 mark, and tell insurers that I am not claiming (thus still retaining my NCB Protection), or just give in and lose my 1 NCB Protected life for 12 months, just to save myself the ?300 difference between the bill and my excess. What do ya reckon?

Anyhow, I know that the accident was mostly my fault. (I don't know if the car would have skidded out anyway, coz the curve that I went off on was like the cresta run - when I went back to check I almost ended up sliding back down to my car on my bum from standing at the top.) However, I had to go back up North to this area again on the (next) Xmas weekend. Conditions were even worse (2 to 6 inches of snow over Xmas Eve / Xmas Day and NO gritters.) Even though I was only doing 20mph max everywhere in these conditions and NEVER touched the brakes, the car slid out twice more that day (luckilly without hitting anything this time) It also completely lost traction many many more times that day (It did not like uphill starts.) Ended up borrowing my sister's Polo with snow tyres on for rest of Xmas & Boxing day. No cred but great grip. Anyone else been out in their Golf V in these kind of conditions yet and , if so, did they suffer the same?

Cheers, H.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i feel for ya mate thats very annoying, i put my last golf in a ditch one christmas and managed to get it pulled out by a massive eight wheeler and there wasnt a scratch on it, im a bit of a jammy git like that though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quick update. Found out getting repair done at garage other than VW dealer would have invalidated warranty. Went to another VW stealer and got quoted ?811! Spoke to insurers. They would not guarentee it going to a VW garage. Therefore decided to get it fixed out of my own pocket. (Bye Bye remap and/or satnav for this year!)

Also noticed couple more ESP actions on wet roads yesterday. Worried my front Bridgestone Touranza tyres might be already going off at only 8500 miles! Anyone else with these tyres like to comment?

·
Registered
591 Posts
horatiog: Just clarifying something. You said the little orange steering wheel light came on when the ESP was doing something. Did you mean the little 'slippery road light' because my understanding is that the steering wheel lights on the dash indicate faults with the power assisted steering.

I had a very enjoyable drive on Christmas morning travelling across the Pennines in North Yorkshire. There was only a light covering of snow but it was below freezing. I took the opportunity to get used to the Mk5 golf's ESP on the slippery roads.

Fortunately I didn't have an accident but overall the ESP did do its best to help you out. Of course it can't reverse the laws of physics (as mentioned in the manual) The thing that sticks in my mind was I tried to go up this steep snow covered road (just to see if it could)... but it couldn't. Even when I was slowly reversing and ABS kept cutting in. Didn't think it would have done that (but I was glad it did).

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yes radox is correct about the lights. The orange steering light indicates a problem with the power seering, the same symbol but red means major problem dont drive it

Whem my car wouldnt start and when the AA Guy jump started it i had a perm ESP and Orane Power Steering Light come on

The aa guy said its ok to drive with the orange light but take it straight to a dealer and its not safe to drive with the red light

However when i phoned my dealer demanding a curtosy car cos i was dumping my nackered golf up there [:D]said

"oh the power steering could fail at any time sir"

Wasnt to impressed and didnt trust the car. But soon as i drove about a 100 meters all the lights whent off!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi cjp2k & radox,

Yep - you are absolutely right - sorry - it was the "slippery road" icon that was flashing and not the steering wheel.

Also, radox, yes, I had exactly the same when disconnecting the battery to put my CD Changer in. Those two lights stayed on and scared the cr*p out of me coz I thought I had kanackered the electrics. However, after a few metres (and, I think, some braking) both lights went back out again. Gues the system is just re-calibrating and/or doing checks after they have lost power?.

Cheers, H.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts