Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my wiper are ok at the mo, but noticed that some of you have changed you front wipers to these.

I searched some of the threads ( before I got flamed!!) [V] But only found threads on how to fit them/price etc.

What I want to know is are they any good??

Whats the difference or do I just have to buy and see for myself.

Thanks

·
NooNoo
9,455 Posts
I ordered front and rear from vagparts.com last week.

Have fitted rear (polo). Looks good, cleans good.

There is some stock issue with the front pair at vagparts.

So waiting. They look 100% better if nothing else.

?78 total bit for fronts and rear from vagparts.

Cheaper than stealers.

[:D]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has someone got a few pics of a before and after fitting?? I am thinking of getting some for my A3 but what to see what they look like first.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I went to the dealer to get a price the other day. He told me not to bother with them as they were crap. He said he'd had them on his car but asked for them to be changed for the older style as they juddered and smeared the screen. Still not sure if I'm going to get them or not.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I was talking to the dealer about these last Thursday - he recons that on new cars the first set of wipers are poor as they sometimes use too hot a heat setting on the jetwash when washing the wax off before PDI.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's a bit of an odd one this. I looked into changing recently coz my old ones had worn out, when i spoke to VW about it I was advised as follows.

The parts chap said not to bother for the following reason, at high speeds due to their design they do not clear the windscreen effectively. Now, he knows I do large amounts of motorway mileage - hence his high speed comments. He suggested waiting until VW introduce an aerofoil for them which would keep them pressed to the screen at high speed. He also reckons the blades don't last as long as the original item.

I know lots of people who have changed to aero's and have had no complaints, but personally I decided not to spend almost ?80 on something that may or may not be a good as an original item !

I am purely going on information provided to me by Motor Services in Bath.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Sorry chaps, they look good but are very poor...

My dad's new passat, 6 months old wipers are poor. Just replaced my standard Golf ones to Bosch and very are so much better than the aero ones, especially at speed...

Want good wipers??? Get Bosch from G&S and replace them every 6 months... Cost me a tenner for the front.

Malc

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote: posted by Baron Von Marlon on 05/08/2004 22:26:38

It's a bit of an odd one this. I looked into changing recently coz my old ones had worn out, when i spoke to VW about it I was advised as follows.

The parts chap said not to bother for the following reason, at high speeds due to their design they do not clear the windscreen effectively. Now, he knows I do large amounts of motorway mileage - hence his high speed comments. He suggested waiting until VW introduce an aerofoil for them which would keep them pressed to the screen at high speed. He also reckons the blades don't last as long as the original item.

I know lots of people who have changed to aero's and have had no complaints, but personally I decided not to spend almost ?80 on something that may or may not be a good as an original item !

I am purely going on information provided to me by Motor Services in Bath.

If you look at the shape of them they are already aerofoil-like. I find they work really well, esp at high speed.

The aero design wiper is actually made by bosch.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If they are no good why are alot of manufactures (mainly German, I admit) having them on their cars?

One bad thing is that they are easy to pinch.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've fitted the rear Polo aero wiper to mine - it works equally as well as the old one, and looks loads better. I've not tried the fronts because I think the front aero wipers look terrible.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts