Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have tried to do a poll but inspite of it letting me preview, it won't post the fappin' thing ![:(]

I must say that the only good thing about mine is the extra ooomph that mine has...

The build quality is shocking - i haven't heard so many rattles since Charlie was tiny. The dealer service is terrible. The paint quality is poor.

This WILL be my last VW ( i've owned a Beetle, a mk1 GTi, a mk2 GTi, a mk2 CL ([:$]), a mk3 VR6, a mkIV 1.8T ) - can't be doing with it anymore

Was just wondering what everyone else thought of theirs ? Happy or not ?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The car is great, the ownership experience has not been so good.  I have owned nothig but Golfs for the last 6 years, I expect this will be my last for a while.  I am not planning on selling up soon though.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Love mine - no issues wiht the build whatsoever (the only thing that rattles is me sunglasses occasionally when they're in the sunglasses holder having not beenp ut in it properly).

Everything else about it is fine. Dealer side of things isn't bad.... Def not fabulous tho!!!

C

PS - nice one Curley [:D]

·
Registered
177 Posts
Haven't we just recently had a thread like this by MattsBlackGT with the overall response being a significant thumbs up for the product.

Only had my GTI for just over a month now and the car is everything it's been cracked up to be, i.e. a fantastic car. One of the most noticeable aspects of the vehicle is how solid it feels and, contrary to your observations, the profound lack of any squeaks and rattles. Couldn't fault the dealer service either.

One immensely happy bunny who will certainly consider another VW GTI when I come to renew (which won't be for some years yet).

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't we just recently had a thread like this by MattsBlackGT with the overall response being a significant thumbs up for the product.
thought that was specifically about the GTi[:cool:] . Oh well ..only another 2 and a bit years of this to go [:(]

·
Registered
177 Posts
thought that was specifically about the GTi[:cool:]
You may be right there but I'd find it quite surprising if there's that much of a massive difference between the GTI and other Mk V models. I have, though, read some reviews on the other models that did mention disappointing build quality.

As for suffering this for another two and a half years... well, noone forcing you to use the forum!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
2800 miles and still grinning Ear to Ear. althought the GT TDi I owned before had faulty paint (not sure if that was VW's fault)

Faulty front seats and corroded wheel centre caps.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree, Chris, but surely there should come a point were it doesn't have to keep going back to the dealer for warranty work ?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Yup, but to me at least, the definition of a lemon, is one that was never right from day one... and never will be [:(]

I rate a lemon beneath a friday afternooner if that clarifies a bit!

C

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Sorry dad.... But seriously, if you're still that unhappy... is there NOTHING you can do to shift it ?? [:|]

C

·
Registered
154 Posts
ROFL @ "Friday afternoon lemon!"

My TDi PD Bora had a few rattles, but my missus' Golk MKiv 1.6s has none, despite being three years older than my Bora was. Her stepmum had a 330c from new, not a single noise on it, she's swapped it for a new 330cd, guess what, it rattles. I reckon that Diesels suffer more from rattles due to increased engine vibration, what does everyone reckon? - fact or fiction?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry dad.... But seriously, if you're still that unhappy... is there NOTHING you can do to shift it ?? [:|]

C
I could clock it in a backwards kinda way so that its got 70K on - then I could get a new car

·
Registered
690 Posts
I reckon that Diesels suffer more from rattles due to increased engine vibration, what does everyone reckon? - fact or fiction?
I was thinking just the same. Theoretically it makes sense, but I have no proof to back it up.

Has anyone experienced the same car in diesel and petrol form and found a difference in terms of squeaks and rattles?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Over the last 10 months ive had 2 GT TDi's both had rattles but not as bad as Damian's lol

Now a GTi not a rattle anywhere, really pleased with the car..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts