Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was thinking about this yesterday ( its a long trip to Scunthorpe and back from sunny Surrey ). When I first got the car, I thought it was quite nippy - til I had the remap. And for a while I thought that 184 bhp / 280 lbft made the car quite nippy.

But as time goes by, you get used to the power and the car starts to feel slow ( know its not really that slow as I drive my wife's 320 sport with 170bhp and that really is slow ) so you invariably want more power.

I've been reading about Devonboymikey's 2006 A3 2.0TDi on seatcupra.net which has 213 bhp ATW which I thought was pretty good - but now he's adding NOS.

So, is the quest for power never-ending ? Or are most of us happy with a remap / exhaust / filter ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think because you get used to it, it becomes the norm, then you want more to get that feeling back that you first had when it was chipped.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It really is like drug addiction.... only the high lasts a little longer with modifying!

You get a thrill from a power increase, and after a while the novelty wears off, so you spend a fortune to eek out a few more BHP, and get a whiff of the power drug and the cycle starts all over again!

Now although I understand the problem, and see that it's a never ending addiction.....the "drug's" soooo goooood!!! [:p]

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Really miss the speed and sound of my GTi but the Audi is way better built than the GTi i had or any of the golfs ive owned.

Should of got the 2.0T??? Superchips will help with the speed thing for a short while though.

Followed an R32 last night...[;)] Wish Andymac's was DSG....

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only got the diesel to save tax. I do kinda wish that I'd thought " sod the tax" and gone for the A3 2.0T...maybe next time.....

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm exactly the same, which is why I change my cars quite often. The TDI 130 I have now is keeping me happier than most simply because of the push back in the seat you get when you unleash the torque. Drove a mates Peugeot 306 GTI-6 Phase 1 the other day and I was shocked at how slow that felt, probably because of the lack of torque even though the power's reasonably high in a lighter car.

Not had the remap on the TDi done yet but it'll probably save that for when I get bored.......[:D]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Like everyone else has said, you just get used to the power.  I bought an R32 after owning a Mk 3 GTI and was gobsmacked at how fast it was.  After 6 months I had got used to the power and wanted more, so I had it remapped at AMD.  I soon got used to that (was never really 100% happy with it anyway) and have since added sports cats and Schrick cams with REVO.  I estimate that it is now running at 300bhp which is 25% more than it was when I bought it.  After fitting the cams the car became far more driveable and had more driveable power when I needed it.  I'm now getting used to it again thoguh and want more....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm lucky enough to own an old runabout for work, it's 2.0 Mondeo estate with 136 bhp, so after a few days in the Mondy, the Golf feels new again, it's just Human nature to get used to whatever power.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Like everyone else has said, you just get used to the power. I bought an R32 after owning a Mk 3 GTI and was gobsmacked at how fast it was. After 6 months I had got used to the power and wanted more, so I had it remapped at AMD. I soon got used to that (was never really 100% happy with it anyway) and have since added sports cats and Schrick cams with REVO. I estimate that it is now running at 300bhp which is 25% more than it was when I bought it. After fitting the cams the car became far more driveable and had more driveable power when I needed it. I'm now getting used to it again thoguh and want more....
Think I need to see yours again Claire! Food for thought. Trouble with me is I never seem to get round to modding, just think about it and then move on to another car!

·
Registered
58 Posts
One way to "re"-appreciate your own car is to drive something slower for a little while. I occasionally get hire cars for 1-2 days and invariably they are 1.6 petrols. When I get back into mine, it always feels very quick.

Another time I thought about it again was when my sales manager was a passenger (he has a 320d as his company car). He asked how big the engine was and how much power it developed because it went so well. I was pleased with that.

Maybe you only realise what you've got when its gone..................

I should add that mine is completely standard 'cos I wouldn't be allowed to chip it officially and I wouldn't want to do it on the quiet.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
One way to "re"-appreciate your own car is to drive something slower for a little while. I occasionally get hire cars for 1-2 days and invariably they are 1.6 petrols. When I get back into mine, it always feels very quick.

Another time I thought about it again was when my sales manager was a passenger (he has a 320d as his company car). He asked how big the engine was and how much power it developed because it went so well. I was pleased with that.

I should add that mine is completely standard 'cos I wouldn't be allowed to chip it officially and I wouldn't want to do it on the quiet.
We have a 320d company car, and the turbo lag below 2500 rpm is horrible, the 140 GT TDi is a much nicer diesel IMHO

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Its never ending, even if I got an RS4 within 6 months I'd want something faster. Try driving the golf slow for a week, don't exceed 2000rpm, it'll seem fast for the first 5 mins of driving normally.

·
Registered
177 Posts

Exactly! I recently had to take my GTI in to have the steering rack replaced and had to suffer a bog standard, entry level Polo for two days they gave me as a courtesy car (another thread somewhere). I have NEVER missed a car so much. So, anyone who's getting fed up with their GTI - hire a Fiat Seicento 900 SL for the day (or even better, a week). You'll be running back to your baby with open arms!

Yes, of course you get used to the power you have but in these days of endless persecution from the stealth taxing law with GATSO's around every corner, when do you get the opportunity to use all this power? Unless you're willing to risk exceeding the speed limit, drive dangerously or drive out into the country to some known "speed camera free" roads at 3 am in the morning for a proper blast (and you're still breaking the law!), how are you going to get the most out of even a bog standard Golf GTI which can propel you to 60 mph in just under 7 seconds and take you up to just under 150 mph?

I can't help thinking that those who are saying they're not happy with 300 bhp under the bonnet are regularly driving in ways they shouldn't. (Now here's a statement that could potentially set the cat amongst the pigeons!)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Defately agree. I'm now driving a vectra 1.8 during the week, and now when i get into my 1.8T (Standard) it seems waaay to quick....never mind remapping it. Saying that, for the first few weeks i was really missing it, and now i've got really used to the way the vectra drives, and don't even attempt an overtake unless i've got loads of open space!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm also in the two car club with a tatty MK2 golf 8v gti for during the week (I park up by the train station before my main commute) and whenever I get back into the mkiv at weekends I'm suprised by how fast it is (and how much wheelspin I get whilst I readapt to the throttle and cluth differences)

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I use to swap cars, one week a 1.0l and the next would be the R, and it would seem absolutely monstrous driving the R after the 1.0l, since the clio is now gone, i use the revo sps1 switch, disable the chip for a while, and then switch it back on, and you can feel the difference straight away.

that sort of stopped me from wanting more and more, though more is much better

hafizur

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't help thinking that those who are saying they're not happy with 300 bhp under the bonnet are regularly driving in ways they shouldn't. (Now here's a statement that could potentially set the cat amongst the pigeons!)
I don't think that just because you have c300bhp under the bonnet, you have to nail it everywhere. On the M25 yesterday morning, I was doing around 40 mph and an A8 ( 4.0TDi I think ) wanted to pull out infront of me - I flashed (saucy ! ) and that thing went like a rocket - but I doubt he reached 70 before backing off. Same with a TVR coming out of the roadworks on the M1 at Luton - but that sounded much better than the A8 [:D]

IMO, people with lots of power rarely use it - chavs in 1.4 Novas seem to wanna nail it everywhere

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
im going to feel like a king soon, been driving 360 miles per week in the 11 year old ibiza 1.4 since September, and in 3 weeks my brand spankin Audi A3 arrives!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts