Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spoke to Beddie, and he's just had one pretty bad dealer experience.

He'll be along to tell you the ins and outs i'm sure, but not letting you drive a demonstrator until after you have signed an order and paid the deposit for a new one? come on VW....

So i'm asking for your dealer experiences, and i've asked you mk5 owners because its likely you have recently been and experienced the sales side of the retailers.

No wonder people are leaving to the other marques! I know its a business, but offering ?1500 below bottom book for an immaculate car and then pricing a year old GTI two grand more than its new price...."we don't do deals on GTIs".

I think Volkswagen(UK) is at risk of getting dragged down by its dealers. I while ago I asked a contact at MK for comment on this kind of subject; basically said that the enthusiast sector with newer watercooled cars were experiencing bad treatment and the subject was becoming a hot topic amongst the clubs and forums- almost a bit of a joke....alas I recieved no reply.

·
Registered
94 Posts
AutoHaus of Kettering let me test drive a GTi no problem. Said I can come back anytime and re-test until I'm satisfied. Actually, I went back on the subsequent weekend and put down the deposit. If a dealer won't let you test, just walk away - do you need that kind of customer/dealer relationship for the 3 yr warranty period?

No discounts were available 6 months ago, period. I don't think this will change while the GTi & R32 supply/demand situation is so difficult.But, having limited supply maintains the secondhand value, right? - so not neccesarily a bad thing. Anyhow, if I'd wanted a cheap GTi, I'd have bought a Renault/Ford/Skoda/Peugeot/Seat etc!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
7 months ago, perfect dealer experience tbh, found the one I now have, chewed on it for a couple of days, got rung to say I'd be about to lose it and went for it, and 10 mins later someone else came in for it after I'd signed, good job [;)] Went through all my financing options and priced up, went away and compared, went back and pushed the finance down again, and job done! [:D]

No issues since, and it's been back once for some bits.

Sounds bloody awful what's gone down with Beddie, but having bought the GTI and going back just before Christmas, was offered an R32 t/drive, but couldn't fit it in [:(] (Their R's gone now too) Also, you do seem to find MASSIVE differences in dealer service all the time, which doesn't help VW in the slightest [:|]

As for the pricing (under for part x and no discount and inflation on used cars) - it's ridiculous. My local do have 3 GTI's in currently, nothing particularly spectac either, but all are over base price easily, with between 4-8k on 'em! Not clever!

C

PS - Beddie old bean, get posting!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No discounts, fine. But the supply and demand thing is a closet way for making a massive amount of money out of you. And when you PX, it dosen't exist.

But thats not the point of the thread....

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7 months ago, perfect dealer experience tbh, found the one I now have, chewed on it for a couple of days, got rung to say I'd be about to lose it and went for it, and 10 mins later someone else came in for it after I'd signed, good job [;)] Went through all my financing options and priced up, went away and compared, went back and pushed the finance down again, and job done! [:D]

No issues since, and it's been back once for some bits.

Sounds bloody awful what's gone down with Beddie, but having bought the GTI and going back just before Christmas, was offered an R32 t/drive, but couldn't fit it in [:(] (Their R's gone now too) Also, you do seem to find MASSIVE differences in dealer service all the time, which doesn't help VW in the slightest [:|]

As for the pricing (under for part x and no discount and inflation on used cars) - it's ridiculous. My local do have 3 GTI's in currently, nothing particularly spectac either, but all are over base price easily, with between 4-8k on 'em! Not clever!

C

PS - Beddie old bean, get posting!
He'll be along shortly...nowt like a retailer who argues where your getting the money from!!!! "ooh maybe i'll get a loan from there then"

Hard pushed now to keep him out of a Ford Dealers....after that experience he went to see an ST, so well done LC Charles at Crewe!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Perhaps I can shed some light on this thread.

I have a direct association with Volkswagen but for obvious reasons cannot state what I do for them apart from stating that I have a very good knowledge of retailer operations

All retailers should be offering potential customers test drives in whatever vehicle they want - there are severe financial penalties for any retailer who is deemed not be fulfilling this requirement. There are many ways in which the retailer is assessed on the quality of service that they provide to prospective and actual customers - I'm sure that Customer Services would be very interested to hear of retailers who are only prepared to let you test drive a vehicle only when or have signed an order form and paid a deposit.

With regards to the profit that they are generating on the sale of new vehicles, you would be shocked at the tiny amounts of profit that are being generated, certainly on the sale of new vehicles. I have the figures to hand and they make for depressing reading.

Retailers obviously dictate their own policy when it comes to p/x values and its fair to say that there will be retailers making the most out of the pent up demand on GTi's, Volkswagen themselves cannot bring any retailer to task about the sale prce of a used vehicle that is not classed as an official demonstrator and can never have any influence on a retailers p/x valuation policy

Volkswagen were alone amongst the big players to report an increase in market share in 2005 so they must be doing something right. Personally I believe that most retailers are doing a good job in a very difficult marketplace, unfortunately there will always be the occassional rogue retailer or sales executive that causes issues

I know that Volkswagen is investing heavily in raising the standard of the typical customer experience within its retailer network but theres still a way to go, please feel free to PM me with any specific experiences and I'll happily pass them on for management comment and response, Volkswagen can only address issues if they are made aware of them

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
My dealer let me take out a GTI while mine was in for the petrol smell the first time, they knew i wasnt going to buy there and then but they didnt mind... they did say they vet their "customers" before letting them take the GTI out...

Just the service mechanics cant find bloody problems with the car when i take it in... apart from that they are ok i guess

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine let me test drive their GTI demonstrator no problem, went back when the R32 was launched to see what the salesman said was their demonstrator, let me look at it inside an out, but when I asked about a test drive because I needed to know if it was worth the plunge from the GTI I got told I could only drive it if I bought it !!!!

WTF ! I spent ?22k there 9 months ago and I'm not allowed to test their demonstrator. What I thought was even more a of a cheek was the ?1500 they had put on top of the price because it had only just come out.

With an attitude like that I walked away.

I have always found VW dealers to have a very big chip on their shoulders, it always feel like their doing me a favour whenever I spend money their. This is the total opposite of my local BMW dealer. I was so happy previously with them that I bought 3 cars in three years from them. Always got a courtesy car, they used to invite me down to test drive all the new cars - even though they knew I wasn't buying it and always got the service wash guys to clean the car if I turned up with it dirty. Even though I went the VW route for the latest car I still get calls to invite me down for coffee and there's never a sales pitch when I go.

This is what I expect from a dealer !

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had very good service a few weeks ago when I bought my GTI from Warrington VW. I went in and ask for a test drive in one of their used GTI's they had in. No problem came the reply. I was out for a good 45mins and drove it like I stole it. I decided to buy it if the px was right. They offered me 2.5k on my vr6 highline that has 117k miles with little service history and not in very good condition. Not bad, as I would only get 3k from a private sale because of the condition.

The GTI is a 5 door with the 18" wheels in laser blue with the arm rest and 6 disc changer. It is on a 05 plate.

The price ?18,995

Also, as I picked the car up I noticed there where no mats, so the salesman just went to parts and got me a set of the GTI mats without question or complaining. Couldn't recomend them enough.

So its not all doom and gloom in the VW world of dealers.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Well, where do i start...... and apologies for the forthcoming loooong rant! [:mad:]

As some peeps may know i have been contemplating a switch to a MK5 GTI and have sorted out the finances/insurance quotes etc in readiness for finding the 'right' car, i've found a few in my ideal spec and colour on the VW web site but as most are quite far away i decided to have a trip to a couple of local dealers today to have a nose around....

Didn't have much look at the nearest ones so had a ride down to LC Charles VW in crewe, they had a couple of used GTI's on the pitch and whilst looking a salesman came over to 'help' me, after getting through some technical difficulties over whether i wanted a petrol or diesel? MK5 GTI we went inside for a chat before going on a test drive that he had promised in the demonstrator

We had a chat over what spec/how much i wanted to spend etc, i told him i ideally want a used car so as to save some cash and avoid the 12 week wait at this point his interest seemed to drain away, he said that no used cars in my spec (Tornado red 3dr) let alone for my ?20K budget were available in the whole VW dealer network and that my only option was to buy new

I explained that i myself had found and seen several on the VW website for between ?19-20K and would he be able to source them on my behalf, 'erm no' was the reply, you'll have to buy new....

We then got on to my budget which he described as 'unrealistic' and questioned my ability to actually get hold of such an amount?? the PX issue then came up and i gave him all details of my car etc (i was in my company van at the time as i'm on call at the mo and need my tools at the drop of a hat so to speak), it was at this point that my test drive privilidge was revoked until he could actually see my car

I then did a 40 mile round trip to home and back in the Bora so he could see my car and get my test drive, i was met on my return by the salesman who had a look over my car in the rain and then asked 'where do you want to go from here then?', for a drive in your demo was the reply and it was at this point it all went a little pete tong.....

Despite my trip back home for the car, the diesel costs and my time etc, the salesman said a test drive was unavailable unless i placed an order for a new GTI today as his 'boss' needs to know i'm serious etc!!

I'd also explained earlier that i was going to test drive an Octavia Vrs to compare with the Golf and he asked me to go away and test that first 'to get it out of your system' then come back in a couple of weeks as he was worried i may like the Octy better so wanted me to test the Golf last ... i explained i'd gone to a lot of trouble to come back in my car today and would like my test drive as i'm here now etc but he would not budge, it was at this point my wife told him to 'stick it up his bum'...lol! [:D]

I was pretty cheesed off by now so went inside to see the 'boss' and try and reason with them, the boss went over my details and again questioned my budget, i told him he need'nt worry about how i get the ?13K ontop of my car's ?7K book price but he kept saying that my quote for a loan from Cahoot must be wrong as it was much lower than VW finance's rate (no suprise there!!), i'll admit to getting a little vocal at this point and just asked whether he could find a car/ let me test drive the demo....

He then said that i should not beleive any deals i get on the internet from drive the deal etc as the car may never appear etc and was concerned i may use the price/deal that Skoda can give me on the Octy to barter a deal with him on the Golf (no s##t sherlock, i want to save as much as i can, i'm the CUSTOMER after all...)

I'd given up all hope at this point and even the appeal of the test drive has lessened so i just simply walked out, 200 yards up the road, the boss rang my mobile to ask why i wasn't hanging around for the test drive and said we must have 'crossed purposes' and that 'this is going nowhere so we'll leave it at that Mr Bedford' gave a very half hearted apology and promptly hung up....... [:mad:]

Spoilt a nice day out car hunting and severly dented my love of the VW brand!!

Now, where did i put that VRs brochure..... [;)]

Sorry for the long post again guys, hope your all still awake!

Steve

·
Registered
445 Posts
I can't understand why you came back? To be treated like that when that
kind of money is involved is crazy, have some self respect!

Go to Reg Vardy in Redditch, when going in there to ask them to buy a
car off me, I was treated like royalty. It was a cheap car, I was
scruffy and 19 years old, oh and I got the best price. A salesman who
wasn't even dealing with me jumped up to open the door for me as I was
walking out! (I'm not female and I don't think he was gay??)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your experience Beddie. I've had absolutely zero trouble with my dealer (Eurocanterbury) over anything (Sales, servicing, aftersales parts/advice, anything at all). I recently went for a test drive in their R32 demo because I wanted to see how it was compared to my GTI; again, no problem, one quick phone call and I was out in the R32. One of my friends wanted to buy a GTI from them, but was unsure; they were willing to bend over backwards and do just about anything to help him get the car (sadly, he didn't go for it in the end), but they were extremely helpful and friendly in just about every aspect.
Now, my friend is thinking of an R32... I was worried that when we asked for a test drive for him for the R32 that the dealer may have been put off by his nonpurchase of the GTI, but again, zero trouble arranging the test drive; in the end, we weren't able to take it, but we'll probably go again this week and have a go. It's been absolutely great dealing with them.
I think you ought to call VW UK customer care about the place you went to as what they are doing is extremely dubious...
I was actually asked (when I was at VW again last week) if my friend still wanted a GTI as a second-hand one with DSG (he wants DSG) had come on sale for around 18k... excellent that they remembered that and brought it up with me.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Neo, sounds like you spend faaaaar too much time down at EC mate [;)]

However, Beddie, I think Neo's summed it up perfectly, and you've been striped up with grade a arrogance and incompetence... And to be honest (if you can be bothered that is), it's one for VW Customer Care... I'm sure they'd be VERY interested if you dumped that in their lap!!

Should we take it then, that Beddie won't be driving round in a GTI any more then?? [:|]

C

·
Registered
126 Posts
best ever dealer experience parkway Derby in more than 17 years of new car buying--test drive no problem and a good long one on motorway to use the 6 speed and country roads etc.

Back to dealers and more questions then best of all we drove the his demo home to see if it would fit easily in the garage and it did--was the dealers idea and no pressure selling at all-perfect.

I was kept fully informed re delivery etc a very good dealer experience 10/10.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
when I went to test drive a Golf, I was told " 20 mins only ". The fuel light was on and a bit was hanging off the bottom of the car ( that should have told me everything !!). When I requested a longer test drive, i was told that I had to pay a deposit as a commitment to buy, and then I could have the car for 1/2 day.

I don't get this at BMW but maybe its just a case of getting to know the sales guy. The last time I took my wife's car into BMW, the salesman offered me a test drive in a 530d sport - he knew I had no intention of buying but he was bored !

When I spoke to the sales guy at VW last week, I mentioned to Focus ST and his reply was simply "depreciate heavily - you'll be throwing your money away "...he seemed to ignore the price differential that could cover the depreciation ( its all relative after all ).

Back off to BMW to look at a new 3 now[:)]

·
Registered
126 Posts
like I said the the best ever,better than Honda,Vauxhall,Mitsubishi,Ford and Renault in 15 years!

From what I read now seems horrendous!!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well i went and had a look at the TDI A3 sportback and the salesman was great, said i could book a test drive if i wanted and take the car home etc for 3-4 hours, or i could take it out then for 30mins on my own

Didnt automatically think i couldnt afford it, i was dressed in a gap hoodie old trainers and jeans, treat me like royalty!!

I wasnt even in my own car when i went up, i was in a VW loan car lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello, new to posting on the forum, but have watched with interest for the previous 12 months or so. Plenty of articles of interest but nothing that drove me to 'get stuck in', so to speak! Until this post appeared!!

I am a VW Golf driver for the lat 5 years, and due to the work situation have worked in 4 different locations over the 5 years. This has led to many meetings with various VW dealers across the UK. My experiences lead me to believe that the answer to Gary's question is generally speaking YES.

I wont bore you all with the many stories, unless you ask (!!), but will mention just the latest one which occurred just before Xmas. I currently drive a 5 door GT TDI mk V, diamond black, 17's, cd changer, armrest, cruise, reverse sensor, dual zone climate. It's a beautiful car, not a mark on it reg 04. Like many people on the mk V forum I have contemplated the move up to a GTI, and regularly check out the VW Used Car website. I spotted a suitable car, a 5 door in Grey. Rang the Dealer which was 100 miles away and organised a trip to look at and drive the GTI.

Turned up at the dealer, checked out the car, had a drive - very nice! Did I want to deal, yes I did. So we talked money. I had done my homework and new the Glass's guide bottom book for my car was ?13600. My car was below average miles, and with the extras on it I estimated it to be worth between ?14000 and ?14500. Anywhere in that Ball Park would have been fine and we could have talked. The GTI was priced as if brand new with its extras, but had several thousand miles on it.

After the usual quiet wisperings between salesman and the dealers 'money man' they came back and offered me ?200 below bottom book for my car!! After a sharp intake of breath on my part I asked why they were offering below bottom book for a vehicle specced like mine. Vehicles like mine at the time were on Dealers Forecourts at asking prices between ?15K + ?16K. I was told that as my car has a Grey interior it is worth alot less than one with Anthracite. Remaining calm I asked why the ?2000 grands worth of extras didn't offset this. I was told that extras are pretty much worthless on a car of its age - 18 months?! So I asked, were the extras on the GTI I was interested also worhtless??! Oh, they said, GTI's are so scarce that prices are high. I could have bought a new one for the price they were asking.

Anyway to cut a long story short ( apologies for those still with me ) I walked out, telling them what I thought of them before leaving. Presumably the salesman and money man wanted me to pay for all of their kids Xmas presents!!

Not all Dealers are this bad, though I have come across others who are, but I have also come across a very good one too. No names, no Pack -Drill, unless any of you are interested.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts