Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you think there is any demand for the standard GT alloys that come on the GT TDI ? Im gonna stick a proper set on it soon.

·
Registered
366 Posts
For the price you get, you're probably better off storing them, so you can switch back at a later date.

I would imagine you could get ?150-?200 on ebay

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Not really.

If your thinking it, you need to get the big wheel thing out of your system. They will look nice but completely ruin your fuel economy.

I did and am now back on the Avus 2's but with a twist. (as in you don't see them !!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

(pictures by Shiuming)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was going to sell my 16" turbo wheels to go towards the cost of my
new 18" RS4 reps. Glad I didn't get round to it now because after two
weeks I was fed up with the news wheels. Bad handling, bad acceleration and bad fuel
economy!

So much happier after putting my standard wheels back on! [:)]

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have to disagree with sticking with smaller/original wheels. Yeah big wheels may give a harder ride but the handling will be soo much better! I have 18s that are 8.5 n 10 wide and have coilovers that are wound really low. The ride is the worst I have ever experienced but have beaten a R32 round a roundabout : ) N its a daily driver!!!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Agreed Rar1f,

The handling on the 195x15's is poo. It's like Starsky & Hutch all the time, squealing.

Best bit though, and the Golf is so safe and predictable at it, is lift off oversteer, oh what fun !

I've returned to my stock 15's though for cost as I do 500-600 a week, tyres and fuel are expensive and dragging 225 wide rubber round is just not justified.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did and am now back on the Avus 2's but with a twist. (as in you don't see them !!)

Posted Image
Those alloys are class lookin, are they the same as mine only gunmetal and bigger ? Whats the full name and sizes of them ?? Look well on our colour of motor

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to put you on the spot but my insurance company wont accept me if the car has been dropped, you think i should change companies ?? I dont like to invalidate the insurance in any way, even tho they do stroke the pants off us.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yeah they're the same 15" alloys as yours, and you're right they look class.

Might be worth shopping around for the insurance, im with Directline who charged me an extra ?90 a year, they justified this through the value of the parts fitted, i.e if the car was stolen they would have to pay out an extra ?1000.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats the way forward, you got any other mods to the car.

Im planning 18s, dropped 45mm and anni kit - you think insurance would frown ?? [:^)]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Those alloys are class lookin, are they the same as mine only gunmetal and bigger ? Whats the full name and sizes of them ?? Look well on our colour of motor
They are indeed standard Avus 2's.

I to am shocked at how they look in black. They are the standard 15's with 195x65 rubber on them.

It was a bit of an impulse thing though, last Friday night on a whim, I decided to paint them black. Off I went to Halfords, bought two tins of satin black spray paint. The wheels were clean anyway, so all I did was give them a light scuff with some wet and dry (800) masked them up with the tyres on, panel wiped them to de-grease and then sprayed them.

The whole process was done in an evening including swapping the wheels over for the RS4 reps that were on the car. The hardest part was masking up the tyres, which took the most time to.

As for other mods on the car, most are inside. The most noticeable mods externally other than the lowering / wheels are the colour coded valences, which are the stock items, not anni or 4mo ones.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How do u think the spray will hold up on them ?? aging scratching etc. suppose you dont really care you can just go over them again.

Well done my man, they really do look quality. How much you charge per hour [;)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts