Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum and hope that someone out there can put my mind at rest. I've got a 2002 5door Golf TDI in black with 92K miles and am quite frankly disappointed in the noise levels that can be heard from the car. I'm not on about road noise, more creaking suspension and various engine noises. The car sounds like it has a dump valve but as it's a TD I'm assuming it hasn't! Are they all like this?

Am only getting 38mpg and thats taking it relatively easy (drops to 5.8MPG on the computer when flooring it), performance seems to have fallen away recently too. Sound like a MAF issue?

All comments appreciated.[:)]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark but is your car really noisy? I know that diesels aren't quiet but you can hear the turbo sucking and whooshing when accelerating.  Our other car is an Alfa 147 JTD and that is really quiet and civiliased by comparison.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
My last motor was a 150PD, and there's no way I would describe that as noisey. There have been issues with turbo pipes blowing off, or even fracturing, which could cause the sucking and whooshing, and the poor consumption. Mine averaged around 45mpg for the 40K+ miles I had it, and I "enjoyed" the car! Check your hoses, and I wouldn't rule out a faulty MAF, although I have no experience of this.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I've no first hand experience, so can't say, but if a pipe is leaking, it should be easy to trace, with your head under the bonnet, and someone else revving the engine! How easy it is to fix depends on where it is. Some of the pipes are well buried.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hi, new to the forum and hope that someone out there can put my mind at rest. I've got a 2002 5door Golf TDI in black with 92K miles and am quite frankly disappointed in the noise levels that can be heard from the car. I'm not on about road noise, more creaking suspension and various engine noises. The car sounds like it has a dump valve but as it's a TD I'm assuming it hasn't! Are they all like this?

Am only getting 38mpg and thats taking it relatively easy (drops to 5.8MPG on the computer when flooring it), performance seems to have fallen away recently too. Sound like a MAF issue?

All comments appreciated.[:)]
If one of your hoses had come off you would certainly know about it, as you would get piles of black smoke and a very jerky ride. I have had 3 pipe failures on my own car due to the increased boost level, and they go bang when they come off.

The 150 turbo whistles quite loudly as it spools up and down, this is probably making you think it's a dump valve.

You should be seeing at least 50mpg if you take it easy so I'd say something is not right. If you're maf is knackered the car will not rev over 3k, but one which is on its way out will. The best thing to do is get a stealer to check the maf requested vs actual values. All it takes is a 2 minute drive up the road and back again. A new maf is about £75 exchange.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The PD engines have a great whistle to them which is what you'll be hearing. Are you only getting high 30s MPG in town driving or on the open road? On the way to work which is all urban driving in traffic I rarely see above 41-42MPG average, but on the motorway can get up to near 60MPG average.

I did test drive a couple of 150s before getting mine, and thought they were a noisier engine than mine. Could be how they are treated in earlier life?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ours starts up with a loudish old school diesel sound but once its warmed up it really quietens down. What does it sound like with the windows down? it should be quite quiet with only a sort of increasingly lound whislte as you accelerate.

·
Registered
703 Posts
mine is old school on start up (waking the neighbours type of racket) but soon dies right down and all that can be heard is the whoosh noise of turbo spooling etc.

I have to say that the suspension (mine has the factory option sports) is great for m-way cruising but around bumpy urban roads it does pitch, dive and roll too much and despite not cornering that hard/fast the interior does rattle in the oddest places as well as suspension crashing over pot-holes... and my car has under 40K of mixed driving (the last 10K mostly m-way).

Also remember the age of the original engine, though the 150PD in the Bora was out in 2002 (mine was one of the first off the boat) the actual 1.9 TDI engine is reworked engine from the MK3 (as far as I know) and is not as refined as the newer TDIs, especially the common-rail ones.

But to get the MAF and all the pipes checked as both of these have in the past failed on mine and since replacement I now get 49mpg on the m-way (moving at speed), 50mpg (moving at speeds but off the accelerator when possible) and around town is now 45mpg - before I wouldn't/couldn't get over 42mpg under any conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow friendly forum, thanks for all your comments guys. All the hoses look fine and there is certainly no black smoke. The car doesn't rev as cleanly as it did when we bought it and fuel consumption has dropped from a normal 42 MPG to 38 - and that is driving carefully! If I lower the window and listen, the turbo is very loud and when changing gear there is a definite "pish" sound, just like a dump valve. So that is normal then? From inside the car, with no music you can also hear the turbo winding up and then the pish sound again although not as loud, makes a kind of gurgle sound as well???? Everything seems noisy - the dash creaks, the roll bar bushes have gone (clunk, clunk) the suspension squeaks - even the indicators sound super noisy! I suppose I expected more with it being a VW and guess I'm a bit disappointed. Really wanting to know if something is wrong or I'm just picky.

Anyway, I've ordered a new MAF but can't figure out how to get the old one off? The screws are a star shape with a pin in the middle so none of my screwdriver bits will fit! Where can i buy one and what is it?

Cheers, Craig

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Nothing you have mentioned seems out of ordinary. The dash rattles are more common on the diesels, more so on mine when I run with BP ultimate as it (hope my engine mounts can take the vibration). You can try stuffing a rolled up square section of cloth where the dash meets the winscreen - else it vibrates against the base of the windscreen. Leave a small tuft so u can fish it out, don't worry u won't see it from the front seats.

The other creak source is on the lhs of the gearbox trim where it meets the air vent part, lotts of cars have got some felt wedged in there. Its really down to the flexing of the chassis.

Other than that - i would run it on BP ultimate and (if its got some miles on it) give it a good thrashing (but let the turbo cool after). btw, it has no dump valve only the variable turbo vanes for releasing boost - afaik.

maf - u need a torqs head, get them at halfords - but don't get the cheapo ones the heads go round. You can spray some silicone spray on the front arb bushes (don't know what to do on the rear though).

Keep an eye on the oil and make sure its 505 or 506 depending on service routine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've just read that a dealer MAF exchange from a stealer will also include the plastic section that is screwed to the airbox using normal posi screws?  Is that right?  If so then I'll do that it in the car park tomorrow when I go to collect it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I've just read that a dealer MAF exchange from a stealer will also include the plastic section that is screwed to the airbox using normal posi screws? Is that right? If so then I'll do that it in the car park tomorrow when I go to collect it.
no its a torx. star shaped

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
Its not a standard size torqz bit for some reason VW in there wisdom thaught a bastard size would be more appropriate to keep the likes of you and me off! if you get a cheap set of security bits youll find the flat blade with a notch missing should do the job

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd echo pretty much what everyone else has said;

TDI's clatter on start-up from cold, it sounds worse if you've not had a diesel before or if you're used to one of the newer, quieter diesels out there now (new BMW and Honda units are both very quiet and smooth, for example). Once warmed up, or when on the move it should quieten down a bit.

The turbo does make quite a whistle when spooling up (around 2,000rpm, give or take 200 either side) and you can definitely hear it with the driver's window down, but with all windows up it should be only faintly audible.

Your fuel consumption and gradual loss of performance does sound like the MAF could be on its way out; unfortunately it's pretty much a serviceable item on the mk4 (that is, you'll need to change it like you'd expect to change brakes, tyres, exhausts etc.). Get it on the motorway at 70mph - it should do around 50mpg. At 80mph you should be getting 45ish mpg, and at 90mph 40ish. Not very scientific, but give it a go and if it's a lot less than that there's something wrong I'd say.

Where are you based? Perhaps someone from here could meet you with their 150PD and you can compare performance / noise / consumption...?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had plenty of TDis before, just expecting a bit more refinement from the Golf.  I'm actually in Fearnhead, Warrington so not far from Manchester.  I'm changing the MAF anyway, can't do any harm  although I'm still trying to determine which bit I need to take off for the dealer to swap.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Had plenty of TDis before, just expecting a bit more refinement from the Golf. I'm actually in Fearnhead, Warrington so not far from Manchester. I'm changing the MAF anyway, can't do any harm although I'm still trying to determine which bit I need to take off for the dealer to swap.
Find the airbox on the lhs of the engine bay and follow it down and you will see a square bit screwed in - that section is the maf placed 'in line' to the airflow.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fearnhead, Warrington ...Why not just nip down the road into Davies Car Sales and roadtest their '53 PD150. 29k on the clock.

Should give you a good comparison[:D]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts