Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How quick is a standard 330ci ?
Quicker than a remapped 1.8t?

How would the driving experinece compare to a mkiv golf 1.8t?

Ive always fancied one but after looking at the performance stats on letstorquebhp.com they dont look very quick and it put me off.

ive since read threads about them and people state that they are actually quick cars.

are they a quick car?

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Quite quick, 0-100 in around 16 seconds.

The engine is super smooth, and they sound a hell of alot nicer than the 1.8t which is totally bland, apart from the turbo whistle.
handling is different too, the car flows from corner to corner being RWD, the steering is much nicer in feel.

Nice cars, and the prices are coming down fast now the new one is coming soon

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

These are the figures for the 330ci hardtop on the website i mentioned
0-60 = 6.87
0-100 = 18.08
60-100 = 11.21
1/4 mile in 15.24

Using the performace calculator on the website a remapped 1.8t should do the following

0-60 = 6.42
0-100 = 16.21
60-100 = 9.79
1/4 mile in 14.81

love the sound and look of the 330ci just wish they were a bit quicker..... i cant afford an m3[:(]

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I wouldn't get pent up on theoretical times, hoever accurate they may claim to be. If you're worried about times then check the back of Evo to get the times for the 330, they often have the test figures in there rather than the manfacturer's figures.

RWD, nice handling, cracking engine with sound, comparison wise it's a no brainer. Test drive back to back, I think I know what would be faster and more fun.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The figures I saw in autocar were 0-100 in 16.6 I think. 18 seems high, the only way is to find out is to drive one, or have you already?

I've had a go against a 330 saloon up to 140mph, not sure whether he bottled it or his just wouldn't go any more. I'd say he was trying to get past but could only manage neck-a-neck. Unless he flashed me afterwards as I pulled off motorway. I'm not saying what car I was in because I'll get slated, but on the figures you had, it's conceivable that the cars were pretty even as mine also did 0-100 in about 18 sec. The BMW should do over 150 top speed though. And when I tried my luck against a 330ci convertible, he eased past me.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
The figures I saw in autocar were 0-100 in 16.6 I think. 18 seems high, the only way is to find out is to drive one, or have you already?

I've had a go against a 330 saloon up to 140mph, not sure whether he bottled it or his just wouldn't go any more. I'd say he was trying to get past but could only manage neck-a-neck. Unless he flashed me afterwards as I pulled off motorway. I'm not saying what car I was in because I'll get slated, but on the figures you had, it's conceivable that the cars were pretty even as mine also did 0-100 in about 18 sec. The BMW should do over 150 top speed though. And when I tried my luck against a 330ci convertible, he eased past me.
330i's also come in Auto or Manual, and the manuals will be quicker if driven correctly. Anyway straight line speed isn't the only trick a BMW can pull off, there's the ride, the engine smoothness, the sound, the comfort. Can't say a Golf beats a BMW in those areas.

Go for a test drive, let us know what u think of them then :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
True! I think I'd rather have a 330Ci than any Golf to be honest, even an R32 (cars of the same age of course)

The only two 3 series I've been in are an M3 convertible and a 320d saloon. Both very good.

I nearly bought an X reg 318i when I got my Golf, I played the two garages off against each other actually.

Could have done a straight swap Smart Roadster for BMW, or give Smart and ?1500 for Golf. Working it out, the Golf was 2-3 years newer, less mileage, worth more and still cheaper to run with all costs considered so I went for that! Only because it was a better deal / more sensible though. As a car, I would still have preferred the BMW.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I've had a go against a 330 saloon up to 140mph, not sure whether he bottled it or his just wouldn't go any more. When I tried my luck against a 330ci convertible, he eased past me.
As the Convertible is considerably heavier and thus slower than the saloon or coupe, it sounds like the saloon was an auto...though at 140MPH I would probably back off too! I did a 0-100 video if you wanna check the 0-100 vid thread, but it was slippery and consensus is the car (and I) should be able to do a bit better.

In terms of performance....I had a Bora V6 4Motion before this and despite being an excellent car I loved, this beats it in every single department. Its definetly much quicker than the VR6, but its more the driving experience; the steering feel and balance of the car is much better, it doesn't lunge and wallow about the way the MKIV did. The suspension/ride is also in another class; over dodgy surfaces and speed humps, the Bora would bounce and fidget, whereas in the BM you don't really even need to slow down - in Sports guise its certainly firm, but very smooth.

There are also no squeaks or rattles after 23,000 miles of, er, hard driving...something I couldn't say for the Bora. Not the freshest car out there these days but for me still a very good looking and desirable one.

I drove an M3 last week and its simply BALISTIC by comparison - the 120BHP advantage makes itself felt. But the 330 still felt quick and its far, far cheaper to run. I highly recommend one (obviously) but comparing a chipped 1.8T 4 Cyl to a 3.0 6 Cyl NA seems a bit of a mismatch to me.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
330d plus a Remap [;)]

They are quick cars but then i get a bit bored with petrol cars sometimes because you dont feel the punch as its N/A but you can soon get up to speeds before you realise. Never thought they were 0-60 in 6ish seconds.. But as many people have said , they stand the roads very well, excellant cornering abilities and v.smooth. Dont know if id have an auto though. Great engine, very rare you get major problems with them. Certainly a very well made car, i sometimes wish id have bought a 328i E36 instead of my Bora because the interior annoys me so much, i cure one rattle and i get another.

Id never own a convertable , they are horrid and you can feel the bodies flex . Too noisey and pisses me off when it rains. Nothing but trouble but each to their own

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
....I'd never own a convertible, they are horrid and you can feel the bodies flex...
That's where BMWs differ again, the degree of flex and stability is light years different to other cars.

my 2p - 330i manual - very nice, fast and aurally superb - feels gutless at low revs if you're used to a diesel, but get it singing and it flies.

330d - not as fast 0-60, but real world performance is a bit better as the low and mid-range grunt is just awesome. sounds good 'cos it's a six but you'll never get the revs so the aural experience is still diesel.

Don't bother with an auto in either as it saps power and dulls the responsiveness of those superb sixes.

I wouldn't bother comparing a tuned car with a standard one - the golf has to be well(and expensively) modded to get it to handle as well as a '3' - remember straight line speed isn't everything......

·
Registered
942 Posts
The 330ci should be a good match for the CTR in terms of speed and acceleration. If they catch a CTR off the boil, it takes a couple of secs to catch up if at all.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
IMO opinion go for a 330 as there 3.0 litre engine is a great engine... but as some people have mentioned once taking it over 3000rpm... it just flies for a n/a engine.. ive got a vid of my dads 330ci when at idling and just pressing the accelerator from 1000rpm to 6500rpm you see the rev limiter fly from 3000 to 6500 rpm.. il send the vid on request through hotmail if anyone wants it.. just pm me your addy's..

Sat [y]

p.s. my dad's 330ci had a carbon fibre air filter and had two of those ecotek valves in the vid... then later on he had it chipped. [:D]

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Evo clocked a manual 330 coupe at 5.9secs 0-62mph so yep they are pretty quick.

My mates got a 330 coupe Auto and it gave my R32 a run for the money...

Lovely cars, entertaining being RWD [:D]

J.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Wait a bit till the new 3 series comes out. Its due for lauch in september. Also, the dealers register a lot of unsold cars at the end of August to meet their targets so there will be bargains to be had. Not long till the 335i either! Although the diesel is worth a look if you want performance and speed.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Wait a bit till the new 3 series comes out. Its due for lauch in september. Also, the dealers register a lot of unsold cars at the end of August to meet their targets so there will be bargains to be had.
There were about three E46 330d Sport Coupes left in the UK last Friday. No 320Cds, no 330Cis...a few 318i ES Coupes but thats it - looked EVERYWHERE. Big support from BMW to get them shifted (?5k off list) and they got snapped up sharpish. Gutted as I was trying to buy a 320CD Sport and a 330Ci Sport.

E92 will be launched as SE only and 325i / 335I T at first, Sport, 320D, 320i, 330i and 330D are all later...and I await the car in the metal to make up my mind on looks personally!

Evo clocked a manual 330 coupe at 5.9secs 0-62mph so yep they are pretty quick.

My mates got a 330 coupe Auto and it gave my R32 a run for the money...

Lovely cars, entertaining being RWD [:D]

J.
That doesn't suprise me, always thought it felt quicker than the 6.5
quoted by BMW. The Yanks seem to think it'll do 0-60 in 5.8 and the M3
in the 4s...but then thats Americans. I think about 6 - 6.1 is about
right for a 330.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, love the 330Ci ... almost bought one but then everything in my life sort of changed!!!

That E46? M3 I went in (53 reg) was very rapid! And the handling was out of this world, esp for a convertible. 130mph in the back seat with the roof down was fun, trying to hang on! Girl sat next to me had to hang onto her top for dear life!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts