Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after some new and uprated Anti Roll Bar Droplinks and I'm not to sure which ones to go for.

I have the standard droplinks at the moment and I think they are getting tied due to having coilovers and ABD Anti Roll Bar (25mm) fitted for the last three years. All the front bushes and dog bone link have been uprated to Powerflex and I'm thinking of also getting Powerflex Droplinks, but I'm not to sure whether these might be to hard and cause a harsher ride.

My car is a 2001 (51 plate) and wonder whether just buying new OEM parts would be better. Not sure wether they have improved the spec from the 2001 ones.

I've also seen adjustable metal Droplinks, but again assume that the ride will be very harsh.

If any one has uprated their Droplinks or can recommend the best set up then please help.

Thanks

Kev...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
From when I had my Eibach ARB fitted to my Y(01) golf, the garage
fitting said there were two type of VW arb drop links, the orignal
plastic one, and the newer uprated metal ones.

The problems with the older plastic drop links, it that they have a
seem where the two halfs are moulded together, causing them to snap
under pressure of when adjusting, the metals ones are one piece and a
lot stronger.

If you have the older plastic drop links, it might be worth trying the metal ones, as they are onle ?5 or so from your dealer.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The VF Engineering droplinks seem the trickest ones about. Pricey.....but I've had my eye on some for a while, as well as their engine mounts....[:S]

Obtain from Rich @ www.jbrperformance.co.uk or Stealth Racing

http://www.vfengineering.com/vw_mounts.htm

Posted Image

Posted Image
Thanks for the info - these look great and I can imagine that they will work wonders, but they are very expensive, so I might need to think about it.....

Cheers Kev...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From when I had my Eibach ARB fitted to my Y(01) golf, the garage fitting said there were two type of VW arb drop links, the orignal plastic one, and the newer uprated metal ones.

The problems with the older plastic drop links, it that they have a seem where the two halfs are moulded together, causing them to snap under pressure of when adjusting, the metals ones are one piece and a lot stronger.

If you have the older plastic drop links, it might be worth trying the metal ones, as they are onle ?5 or so from your dealer.
This is a good idea... I have the older plastic/rubber links

?5.00 seems a bit to cheap to be good.. I think I need to call VW to see what the new ones are like..

If there are any other recommendations then please let me know.

Thanks for the advice rfsteel

Cheers

Kev...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Thanks for the advice rfsteel

Cheers

Kev...
Not a problem, thinking about it some more, they may be more around the ?11 mark per drop down link.

It also has reminded me that I need to replace my plastic drop links
with the uprated metal ones, as VW were out of stock of the metal items
when I had my ARB fitted.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It also has reminded me that I need to replace my plastic drop links with the uprated metal ones, as VW were out of stock of the metal items when I had my ARB fitted.

Would you happen to have the part numbers.... as the VW Dealer I called, was unable to find any "new Droplink" part numbers and advised me that they are still rubber mounts that are the same as the previous mounts fitted to the car when built.

This dealer knows me well and he seemed to try his best, but was unable to locate the new part numbers.

He advised that they would cost ?13.00 +VAT each.

If you do know the part numbers then please let me know

Cheers

Kev...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to help.

I suppose you missed the 3pm cut off for you dealer to get them in for tomorrow AM.
Yeh your right, so I'll pick them up Saturday morning and try and put them on straight away.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After picking up the drop links and jacking my car up I realised that I already have the metal drop links from VW. My car came with the later metal ones [:D], which is a bit of luck, but I should have checked before buying the new ones and wasting ?27.00

I fitted the new ones any way...

And I can't believe how much difference there is now.. Now I realise it was good to spend ?27.00.

The old ones are just over three years old and the new ones make the old ones feel as if they were made of jelly. I'm guessing the bushes in the old drop links had worn.

I would recommend any one with the VW drop links to change them if they are running coilovers, every so often, to ensure the handling stays good.

Cheers

Kev...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I have bought these part numbers now and they are not metal they are resin - the same as already fitted. However, I will renew as I'm sure the new bushes will be better.

The only different part numbers my dealer guy could find were fitted to lesser-spec cars.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I'm having the same problems, been trying to find the metal drop links
all week, though the dealer keep delivering the plastic ones.

I'm thinking VW has recently stopped making the metal drop links !

Help, can anyone confirm the part numbers ??

1 - 20 of 57 Posts