Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mate of mine had the free trial on the APR remap a while back and he loved it. He also said that he was basically told that the APR remap is better than the REVO version, because the APR has much smoother and constant power delivery, whereas the REVO feels to have more of a punch to it rather than a steady flow of power! [:(]

Now if this is the case, i will definitely get the APR version over the REVO one, However, the one thing i am torn between is, what i like about REVO is the SPS function (is it only on SPS2 and 3?) whereby it's impossible to steal the car apparentely even if someone has the key! [:D]

Now obviously making my car less stealable is of great concern to me and a huge priority so i was wondering if anyone with APR could tell me if it has anything similar? Also, i havn't heard what the BHP figures are for the MK4 with APR.

So could anyone tell me what a remapped AUM with the APR would be producing as opposed to the 212BHP with REVO? [^]

·
Registered
436 Posts
pretty sure the apr has all the same fuctions ad the revo, i had the revo trial other week and was very impressed with it jus wondering whether to try the apr one and decide which to go for, defo worth doin massive increase in power,

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
APR quote 212bhp if running on Optimax, so I was told by Awesome [:)] - I think they said around 208bhp if running 95RON fuel. Don't know anything about SPS sorry mate, but whichever you go for I have a sneaky feeling you won't regret it - After the APR trial on mine the car runs twice as well as before so in my eyes it's worth having the free trial anyway! Pop on over next week sometime anyway ..

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote: posted by smm20-v-t on 10/04/2005 18:05:00

i had the revo and was very impressed although i wouldnt bother with the 4bar as only takes to 218 usin lot more fuel, stick to the 212 and sure be happy with it

Unless you tried the 4 bar prog don't knock it. It's alot more different than the paper figures suggest and torque is held longer.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quote: posted by EddyH on 10/04/2005 18:08:11

Quote: posted by smm20-v-t on 10/04/2005 18:05:00

i had the revo and was very impressed although i wouldnt bother with the 4bar as only takes to 218 usin lot more fuel, stick to the 212 and sure be happy with it

Unless you tried the 4 bar prog don't knock it. It's alot more different than the paper figures suggest and torque is held longer.

Ditto that. The 4 bar program transforms the car.

Edit: Back to the original point. Doesn't APR have some sort of disabling switch via the cruise stalk?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I had the APR trial then the Revo 3bar program - Revo offered a noticable increase on APR in both smoothness and power delivery.

I then went back for the 4bar upgrade after fitting my 4bar FPR, again this gave me a noticable increase on Revo 3bar.

There was an APR 1.8T Octy at the Briskoda RR day at JBS last Sunday which made around 16bhp and 16lbs of torque less than 4bar Revo cars.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quote: posted by GaryM on 10/04/2005 19:27:09There was an APR 1.8T Octy at the Briskoda RR day at JBS last Sunday which made around 16bhp and 16lbs of torque less than 4bar Revo cars.

Out of the box APR figures apparently. With something called 'vtune' you can alter the characteristics of the map. Like a more complicated version of SPS3 from what I can gather.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote: posted by rich1068 on 10/04/2005 20:09:55

Quote: posted by GaryM on 10/04/2005 19:27:09There was an APR 1.8T Octy at the Briskoda RR day at JBS last Sunday which made around 16bhp and 16lbs of torque less than 4bar Revo cars.

Out of the box APR figures apparently. With something called 'vtune' you can alter the characteristics of the map. Like a more complicated version of SPS3 from what I can gather.

Don't beleive everything you hear Rich. V-tune is basically the same as lemmiwinks. Lemmiwinks been leaked by Revo seemed to coincide with v-tune been made free.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote: posted by rich1068 on 10/04/2005 20:17:29

Probably got my wires crossed then. I assumed v-tune was an APR 'option' if you like.

It is an APR option but you can download it for free. The parameters pretty much match lemmiwinks albeit with a nicer looking interface.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote: posted by GaryM on 10/04/2005 20:24:07

Will V-Tune let you increase boost?

Lemmiwinks only lets you decrease, the block starts at 100% boost (maximum) and will only let you adjust down.

Yes but only within parameters of the map AFAIK. It looks like a useful piece of software but certainly not a reason to choose APR over Revo IMO.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Worm can open !!!

RJH = Both offer trial software so give each a try its that simple, also both offer very similar performance increases. Again it comes down to a couple of things.

1. Revo you can fiddle via a little box you plug into your OBD port.

2. APR you can fiddle via a cruise control stalk if you have it fitted.

Now unless you are bothered about having a big rolling road figure then it comes down to your only personal pref.

Like I say have a drive of both and decide for yourself because as you have probably already gathered it is an emotional subject.

P.S. I have driven both full software version cars revo 4bar and APR 98 ron and could find minimal difference Revo had a little more higher up the rev range but apart from that very little in it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As far as i'm concerned Revo is superior by far - because of driability. Yes, maybe it is not so smooth as standard - but with the SPS you can decide when and how the 'punch' comes on. Also - the 4 Bar map gives great torque - and thats where the fun is. Both Maps are good, but i've never known anyone disappointed by REVO. They also have excellemnt customer service and support.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I was going to leave it but comments like that are just stupid "superior by far" define FAR for F*CKS SAKE.

As always it is very subjective as to what somebody would prefer so RJH as I have said go and have a try of both and form your own opinion, you may also want to look at the other options which are cheaoper by comparison such as upsolute or superchips to name a few.

Either way good luck and dont buy until you try (nice cheesy catch phrase)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.