Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please take a look at my pride and joy which I am selling at a much reduced price.

The car is wanting for nothing and has no expense spared by it's mature owner.

The work has been carried out by Awesome and was featured in a major article in VW Driver. Neil Birkett stated that it was one of the best big turbo converted car's he'd tested.

Everything concievable has been uprated including a full engine build in Feb this year, full APR Stage 3 conversion at a cost of nearly 10K, uprated Tarox big brakes, Quaiffe differential, uprated Sachs Sports clutch, Forge intercooler, Koni Neuspeed suspension and BBS CH alloys. I have also added tasteful Oettinger body styling.

The car has been owned in my family from nearly new by my wife and is the perfect vehicle that has been done properly from start to finnish.

Car was recently dyno'd at AWESOME at 353bhp/333lbs
Here is a link with some photos:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/708254.htm

Can't believe I've had no interest I thought it would be snapped up from Pistonheads not one viewing.

Car has had a fortune spent on it and is been done by a reputable company.

Any thoughts would be appreciated....thought it was fairly priced otherwise I will have to keep.

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Wow that really is reduced if i could sell mine id make an offer but unfortunatley i think the car market has stalled with all this resession talk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think the problem is it is probably fairly priced in relation to the spec of the car and whats been spent on it, but its a lot of money for an older hatch nowadays.

From my point of view regardless of the performance nearly £10k is a lot of money for a mk4 gti, thats R32 price unfortunately and I know that yours will be quicker in a straight line but in terms of desirability I think people would rather go for the R.

Its only going to appeal to a very narrow segment of the market I am afraid and I guess people just don't have the money at the moment.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You never get your money back on mods mate and yours is a clear example.

I paid £6k for my Golf, Spent around £5k+ on it and Sold it for £6k a year later..

I think if the price was more in-linbe with teh price of a Golf GTi then you may be able to sell..

Orr....stick a standard engine in it, pull all teh bits off and you should be able to get £4k to £5k for it. Engine/bodykit /brakes- get a good few grand on top of that....

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
agree with most of the above, it will mainly only appeal to new buyers of modded cars since existing modders will be too attached to their own cars to buy another (albeit much upgraded one), and for 10K new buyers will probably go for an .:R or the like.

probably better off stripping it and selling the parts perhaps

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
No matter what you've done to it, asking the best part of £10k for an 8 year old mkiv GTi can hardly be described as fairly priced.

For similar money you could have a tidy 5/6 year old mkiv R32 or a 3/4 year old mkv GTi. No matter how good your car is, I would have thought even a standard 55 plate mkv GTi would be more desirable.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny old market ...saw a MTM S3 on a 2001 boasting 330bhp sold for £16k 4 months ago on Pistonheads.

Saw Awesome's APR Stage 3's TT on a 2001 for sale at £17495.

MTM /ABT/AmD/Sportec cars all command a big premium due to their reputation/name.

Even at £10k or just below is a 'bargain' IMO a very fair price for someone who wants a car at this spec with everything done from brakes to engine longevity and set up for track.....try buying a nice 2001 MKIV with 1 owner etc etc and build it to my spec using a reputable company and you'll never achieve it for 6-7 k.

The APR kit alone cost £4500 plus VAT plus fitting and VAT on top of that without the brakes at £1600 without fitting, Quaiffe diff uprated clutch flywheel fitting, Koni suspension Neuspeed ARB, BBS CH's full engine build done to a very high spec/strength.

Nope I'm in no hurry and will keep until I get the right offer or if not I will have more fun surprising people. [:D]

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Totally agree with you Ian, everything on this car's been done to a top standard so it's worth every penny, just a bad time to want to sell it though. Plus you're only gonna have to replace it with something faster if you do lol.

Andy

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
6 months ago id hae snapped your hand off but I opted to spend less and keep some money back in he bank, a decision I am now very pleased I made

time of year and other current market issues means youll be far better off keeping hold of your motor, itd be something youd live to regret leting it go for that price

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I know how bad the market hence I can wait until it sells be it 3 months 6,12 or whatever.

I'm sure in the spring things will look up a bit

Ian

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
spring car sales always go up from christmas time, and they will next year

why does everyone listen to the daily mail reading gonks who make out like everyone in the known universe is gona have theyre house reposessed and loose theyre job,

I GUARANTEE this time next year ill still be in my job, ill still live in MY house and still drive MY car, infact if anyone wants to bet me otherwie ill take on a wager.

If it werent for the fact I couldnt sell my current car and id rather have the extra 5k in the bank id buy this guys golf tomorrow

ad I wont be the only one

buyers will exit, theyll just be harder to find

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
spring car sales always go up from christmas time, and they will next year

why does everyone listen to the daily mail reading gonks who make out like everyone in the known universe is gona have theyre house reposessed and loose theyre job,

I GUARANTEE this time next year ill still be in my job, ill still live in MY house and still drive MY car, infact if anyone wants to bet me otherwie ill take on a wager.

If it werent for the fact I couldnt sell my current car and id rather have the extra 5k in the bank id buy this guys golf tomorrow

ad I wont be the only one

buyers will exit, theyll just be harder to find
Hmmm - interesting bet - I might take you up on that. What's your job entail, which part of the country do you live in and what company do you work for?

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
im a management accountant for a logistics company in the north east of england, im not about to tell you the company name but we are the second largest of our nature in the world and THE largest in the middle/far east with a heavy involvement in the chinese economy, one of the reasons im confident of my job

so, this wager....

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep I'll withdraw it for sale once the Pistonhead ad drops off....like you say I'll only regret it and it is a super quick well engineered example....good tax banding too when considering what else to replace it with.

May re-evaluate next year me thinks or just keep it for a few years and get the use out of it whilst the economy is slowing.

Ian

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I must open this thread up again.

After everything thats been written above, I notice the car is now for sale in the classified section for £8250 with the tag "priced to sell, car must go".

First of all hope everything is ok with your job or whatever the reason is that you must sell your car IanB - sincerely hope you find a buyer soon. Surely that must be an attractive price / spec to any mkiv buyer.

Secondly I come back to IanM re: his comments on car sales always go up and those foolish Daily mail reading gonks. We haven't even reached year end and even the most optimistic person in the world would have trouble agreeing with you. The manufacturers have gone on their hands and knees for governments to keep them afloat, many manufacturers are giving their employees an extended Christmas break with Honda shutting their Swindon plant for a few months. Vauxhall on the other hand want to offer their employees up to 9 month sabatical on 30% pay! Look thru the ads - you'll see Edition30 Golfs being advertised from £14,000 - who would have believed that a few months ago? Interest rates in the US are now 0% or as near enough as can be, and we WILL follow suit. Large household named businesses are either folding or in serious trouble.

And if you've read any of the other threads, perhaps you'd like to share your optimism with other people on this forum who have already lost their job, have had their hours reduced or have been informed there'll soon be redundancies in their workplace.

As for the Daily Mail readers, perhaps you'd care to tell us which paper you read because it's predicted up to 75,000 house reposessions will take place in 2009 with the number of households unable to pay their mortgage approx 1/2 million. These figures come from the Bank of England, not the Daily Mail. People aren't being pesimistic for the sake of it IanM, they're just trying to be realistic.

And as a footnote - you said if you were in the market for a car, you'd buy IanB's car tommorrow as it was such a great price. Well the price is now £2000 less than that great price a month ago - why not buy it from IanB now - look at the profit you'll make come April when, to quote you directly "Spring car sales always go up from Christmas".

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
£8k....

TBH, that isnt too bad a price (still a bit higher than what I'd want to pay but for the work thats gone into it, its pretty cheap...)

As above, I do hope financiallly everything is ok and i hope you dont have to throw your car away for a stupendous low price (like a few friends and family have had to)

Can i ask why you have dropped the price by so much ?

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
I must open this thread up again.

After everything thats been written above, I notice the car is now for sale in the classified section for £8250 with the tag "priced to sell, car must go".

First of all hope everything is ok with your job or whatever the reason is that you must sell your car IanB - sincerely hope you find a buyer soon. Surely that must be an attractive price / spec to any mkiv buyer.

Secondly I come back to IanM re: his comments on car sales always go up and those foolish Daily mail reading gonks. We haven't even reached year end and even the most optimistic person in the world would have trouble agreeing with you. The manufacturers have gone on their hands and knees for governments to keep them afloat, many manufacturers are giving their employees an extended Christmas break with Honda shutting their Swindon plant for a few months. Vauxhall on the other hand want to offer their employees up to 9 month sabatical on 30% pay! Look thru the ads - you'll see Edition30 Golfs being advertised from £14,000 - who would have believed that a few months ago? Interest rates in the US are now 0% or as near enough as can be, and we WILL follow suit. Large household named businesses are either folding or in serious trouble.

And if you've read any of the other threads, perhaps you'd like to share your optimism with other people on this forum who have already lost their job, have had their hours reduced or have been informed there'll soon be redundancies in their workplace.

As for the Daily Mail readers, perhaps you'd care to tell us which paper you read because it's predicted up to 75,000 house reposessions will take place in 2009 with the number of households unable to pay their mortgage approx 1/2 million. These figures come from the Bank of England, not the Daily Mail. People aren't being pesimistic for the sake of it IanM, they're just trying to be realistic.

And as a footnote - you said if you were in the market for a car, you'd buy IanB's car tommorrow as it was such a great price. Well the price is now £2000 less than that great price a month ago - why not buy it from IanB now - look at the profit you'll make come April when, to quote you directly "Spring car sales always go up from Christmas".
Coz ive just bought a subaru, otherwise I would have looked at it for sure

Secondly, read my post, my prediction was that those scare mongers who say everyone in the world will loose theyre jobs/houses are just that, scaremongers, my other prediction was that my job would still be there and id still be doing it in 12 months,

I stand by those three predictions

I never said hard times werent ahead but the media loves a scare story.

In answer to your query, I dont read any papers, they are 90% tosh and 100% the opinion of an individual, everything can be looked at from different angles

To be honest, I know only what goes on in my house, and I know im doing better than ive ever been doing, the rest is just a noise that coms from the TV, if my essential bills were to double in the next 12 months, id still be driving a subaru

now fair point not everyone is as lucky, BUT, I have been poor and have struggled for what i have for the last 10 years of my life, were those well off people who are now bricking it feeling sorry for me when I was hunting round for a quid to buy bread?? no they werent, and I wont be feeling sorry for them now either.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts