Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting this done over Christmas [:D]
Gonna be a chip change because my car's and AGU.

Any comments or experiences to share from those with the same setup?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Im not sure, but would like to know if APR have ever updated the code on this software... If not, then tbh its not the best out there. APR are an american based company and never had AGU's over there. So spent next to no time researching it.. I swapped from APR to Revo on my AGU.

Think thb that you will be better of with a cheaper option such as Upsolute or ChippedUK on the AGU

·
Registered
48 Posts
You will be fine with the APR map on the AGU. Thats what my 1st Mk4 ran.

The power is smoother than the revo map which gives a better (less harsh) drive.

Call Jim or any of the team at Awesome :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys [Y]

I have spoken to Awesome after what Tim said and I think it does come down to how you want the power to be delivered. It sounds like with Revo you get a great big lump of low down power, and with APR you get a smoother power curve but less of a kick in the back when you put your foot down. Taking all things into account I think I'll go for APR.

Thanks again [H]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
As Tim said, I would recommend ChippedUK or even Upsolute for your AGU. You won't see much difference at all between AGU maps so for me it would be down to cost.
The two I've named are much cheaper so don't rule them out.

It always makes me laugh when I see the smooth map and big kick up the arse map, FFS, your driving a car with a turbo - who want's smooth?? [:D]

·
Registered
658 Posts
There isnt really too much in the map sequence to enable a "big kick" other than a larger than norm turbo increase but in truth you can only push so much air enabling the turbo to spool up so in theory you could add 400mb of boost over 200rpm but that doesnt mean you will get 400mb of boost at the end of the 200rpm range.

I think in general if you keep to the standard way the car drives but enhance it, you will always have a happy customer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I dont wana get anyones back up regarding the 'different' types of remaps and how they deliver the power.

Im gona have to agree with you GaryM, you get the remap done for a kick in the ass type delivery (well thats my way of thinking anyway!)[:D]

Just for info purposes though, I got a REVO map done a month ago on my AGU and I was very impresed with the power delivery, you get a big kick at around 2700rpm and that carries on through to around 5700rpm

·
Registered
48 Posts
Glad you went for APR.

These guys have done the homework.... I know!!!!

VWoA used them for their Mk5 380-400bhp project ;)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Glad you went for APR.

That has little relevance to the fact they spent next to no time researching and developing the software on the AGU cars. Like I said, they are a huge and reputable company, but US based. THey dont have AGU cars over there.... the original software they produced for the AGU is poor in comparison to others in terms of power. Was a smooth drive, but mine never even ran 1 bar on full boost!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Don't forget you need to get that Huge kick up the arse power down to the tarmac.

In the wet my car just spins even upto third.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Don't forget you need to get that Huge kick up the arse power down to the tarmac.

In the wet my car just spins even upto third.
Take off your lead boots, buy decent tyres and all should be fine.
Wet is another matter altogether, surely you don't expect traction in the first three gears when going for it?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Glad you went for APR.

perhaps it's got something to do with the fact you sell apr software that you think it's the business?i myself wouldn't use their software on my agu engine,as stated above!they never had the agu engine stateside!!!!i myself am looking to have my engine remapped,and am considering the chipped uk route.i have used jason in the past on another car,and was very impressed with the result,

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate what everyone is saying but I have done a lot of research on this [8-|]. Here are some facts I have discovered:-

1. Although APR is an American company they do special code for UK cars which is researched thoroughly. This is even for engine codes that VW do on both sides of the Atlantic and is because of differences in US and European fuel.

2. APR are continually researching and revising their software. Yes - even for the AGU.

3. On the latest revision of software, APR for AGU now makes around 196 bhp and 240 lbft of torque. Which is better than the 190 bhp and 225 lbft that Revo quote on their website [:p].

Personally I'd rather have the torque right across the rev range that mainly lower down. Narrow torque curves are usually percieved as a disadvantage by most driving enthusiasts - myself included - as the power is difficult to control on the limit.

[Y]

·
Registered
436 Posts
I appreciate what everyone is saying but I have done a lot of research on this [8-|]. Here are some facts I have discovered:-

1. Although APR is an American company they do special code for UK cars which is researched thoroughly. This is even for engine codes that VW do on both sides of the Atlantic and is because of differences in US and European fuel.

2. APR are continually researching and revising their software. Yes - even for the AGU.

3. On the latest revision of software, APR for AGU now makes around 196 bhp and 240 lbft of torque. Which is better than the 190 bhp and 225 lbft that Revo quote on their website [:p].

Personally I'd rather have the torque right across the rev range that mainly lower down. Narrow torque curves are usually percieved as a disadvantage by most driving enthusiasts - myself included - as the power is difficult to control on the limit.

[Y]
Nothing at all with APR software...you are correct in saying that they have revised old codes.

They are rewriting and tweaking codes as people add on new hardware.

The APR software is very smooth in it's delivery...very nice in fact....they tend to run more timing and less boost..1.1 bar on stage 1.

I've run APR software on my Golf since almost new....now on stage 2....even better....stage 3 kit next.

·
Registered
436 Posts

[Y]
Nothing at all with APR software...you are correct in saying that they have revised old codes.

They are rewriting and tweaking codes as people add on new hardware.

The APR software is very smooth in it's delivery...very nice in fact....they tend to run more timing and less boost..1.1 bar on stage 1.

I've run APR software on my Golf since almost new....now on stage 2....even better....stage 3 kit next.

·
Registered
811 Posts
They dont offer stage 2 on the AGU unit Ian, but i agree for the DBW applications they are back up at the forefront...., ECU on the AGU isnt capable of processing all the extra information! Hence no SPS3 on Revo or likewise on the custom-code style application. What Im trying to say is that on AGU cars with the hardware you have (namely the regular ko3), your not going to get huge power regardless of your software choice... So my advice was that saving yourself ?200 using ChippedUk etc is better than a few more ft/lb that a generic map "may" offer you. Ive been there and done it... had APR, Revo and then upgraded the turbo, FMIC, exhaust... Im speaking from experience first hand, not heresay. "

Make your own mistakes though, its the best way to learn!"

Your choice at the end of the day and I hope you're happy with it - just trying to inform you thats all [:)]

·
Registered
811 Posts

[Y]
We'd all rather have that mate, Im sure... [:)]

Simply put in turbo cars boost = torque... so you need to run a higher boost to achieve the prolonged torque. The regualr KO3 wont sustain it... FACT! If you intend to leave your car at a remap then you'll probably be ok, but like me and many others im pretty sure you wont be able to. the power and modding bug bites hard....

You need a bigger turbo or the later KO3 S... then remap [:)] And by then the APR map is pointless along with other generic codes such as Revo etc...

Im telling you what I wish Id been told myself, could have saved me the best part of ?500-700 [:|]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We'd all rather have that mate, Im sure... [:)]

Simply put in turbo cars boost = torque... so you need to run a higher boost to achieve the prolonged torque. The regualr KO3 wont sustain it... FACT! If you intend to leave your car at a remap then you'll probably be ok, but like me and many others im pretty sure you wont be able to. the power and modding bug bites hard....

You need a bigger turbo or the later KO3 S... then remap [:)] And by then the APR map is pointless along with other generic codes such as Revo etc...

Im telling you what I wish Id been told myself, could have saved me the best part of ?500-700 [:|]
Thanks for sharing your experinces mate [Y] I appreciate your comments, as you say, they are not based on hearsay [:)]

I'm mostly in agreement with you and have already considered the fact
that I may end up going for a custom map - I had originally
considered taking the long drive down south to Jabba. I spoke to the
guys at Awesome and they have assured me that a stage II is coming for
the AGU. Normally, I wouldn't believe such talk from sales people but I
trust the guys at Awesome as they are a really cool bunch of petrol
heads [H]. (Going off topic a little bit for those who may be
interested - they also said that they are considering doing an ATP
Eliminator package [:D])

I'm only planning on the using the stage I for a year or so and move on to stage II when it's available.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts