Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in contact with apr america....

This is what I sent them...

Hi, I visited my local APR dealer in England (Jim at awesome GTI).

I had taken my VW R32 to be apr tuned, however I did not realise at the time that you had used the old vw firmware as a base for your remap.

Jim took a copy off version 6463 vw firmware (the newest version) from my car and sent it to you to see if you could overlay your apr program.

I was wondering how you are getting on??

Or are you not going to change your vw R32 code?

The v 6436 firmware is very smooth, however i am still keen to get that KICK from the apr map....

Many thanks.

Martyn

And this was their reply....[B)]

The performance will still be the same. The firmware has nothing to do with the APR programming, we can only push the car so far in accordance to the engine specs. I will check with the software engineers about the firmware update, but I highly doubt anything will be done.

I really dont know what to think off it????

Answers on a postcard please[:eek:)]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Dont they just mean the original software will have no bearing on their version of the software, ie you will get the same software code as people that had the old vw software fitted. hence you may not find as much of an improvement as someone with the old code might, as yours is better to begin with?

May just tbe the wording form these pesky americans. I mean, we say tomato, they say "geees, your english, I just love the eenglish, do you like live near that Bucking-HAMM Palace??"

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I think wires have been crossed there and the reply from APR makes it seem that you were after a better performing map than the currrent APR map. They're working on the update so you can change from standard V6436 to the current APR map but we've got no date as yet.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I was wondering how you are getting on?? In progress

Or are you not going to change your vw R32 code? APR are working on it

Can we just clarify this is only an issue when changing from Chipped mode to Standard using cruise control, the software APR are working on will be no different in chipped mode, only standard mode will then be the v6436 code.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
An update :)

I'm expecting the new code to be completed next week hopefully :)

Note it took VW almost 2 years to fix the hesistancy on the standard R32, APR were the first to remap and fix this, and its taken them around 4 weeks to turn around this latest code to keep up with VW fixes.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ade so what can we expect from the new APR code. Will it be just the same as the old code ie. 260ish bhp or will they use the vw 6463 code as a base for their new code and hopefully get more?

Or is it a case of they need the 6463 code just for switching between their code and standard via the cruise control?

Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
No more performance expected as per Martyns post at the top, APR are happy that the current map is the safe setup for the R32 engine. The only difference on this update is that its backward compatible with VW v6 code - that is you can switch back to the latest VW code using the cruise.

"Or is it a case of they need the 6463 code just for switching between their code and standard via the cruise control?" - yes exactly :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Then why was I still getting Problems with MY APR setup! I found that running the Stock map was alot better than running the APR! I had trouble at Santa Pod with this "turbo Lag" using the APR 98 program. I had a Seat Beat me!

If this new code is the same as the other then you can keep it and I'll have my money back please! Cos I got all sorts of problems! and none were VW Map related!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
We've had no-one else with performance problems running the APR map, could you clarify on this? perhaps an inherent problem somewhere else and the map was making it worse?

What do you mean by turbo lag exactly?

Yes we've said before this new map is ONLY happening to offer the switchability to the latest VW version, we've not had any performance related problems with the map.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The concern also is with trials, as the APR remap overwrites the existing code totally, so if you have v6 on your car, and you have a trial when it goes back to stock it goes back to v4 as this is the version the APR remap was built upon.

So when the car goes back to stock, it goes back to running like a dog, unlike when the v6 comes back in and you notice no difference between chipped and stock.

·
Registered
436 Posts
All I can say is that my APR map and Milltek DP/CAT/Exhaust is brilliant on my GTI 1.8T.(AUM Engine)

I wonder if there would be much difference in performance between that an a R32 ?? I'd rather have the 32'S soundtrack though.

Ian

·
Registered
811 Posts
Quote: posted by ianb on 24/10/2004 12:46:37

All I can say is that my APR map and Milltek DP/CAT/Exhaust is brilliant on my GTI 1.8T.(AUM Engine)

I wonder if there would be much difference in performance between that an a R32 ?? I'd rather have the 32'S soundtrack though.

Ian

[?]

[B)]

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Quote: posted by ianb on 24/10/2004 12:46:37

Ian

There won't be much difference in the power at the wheels

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh my god - i'm so old! Bought an R32 and all i know about is old stuff like twin 40 side draught carbs.

How do i know what map ive got? i know ive got lag at about 4k then its like a powerband and off she goes - its a real pain having to drop a gear and nail it to get going every time.

Bloke opposite has Octavia RS and big ego - must beat!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.