Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#### Without Prejudice ####

It was 03:00hrs 8th Sept 2004 when I begun writing this, before saving a draft to get a couple of hours sleep....

Here we go

I left the house yesterday to travel 60miles to the Worcester Club Meet at 19:00hrs yesterday. It was a lovely sunny evening and I was quite excited. APR had the local agent attending offering Evaluation SOftware Upgrades. I had heard/read several reviews on this particular upgrade so during my journey to the meet I was already seriously considering having the eval. installed.

When I arrived, did the usual meet'n'greet etc, then the guy offering the upgrades approached me and explained the process.

Essentially, he would create a connection to the internet via GPRS and download the specific software for my ECU. I asked what would happen in event of a network failure, and he explained that the upgrade does not take place until fully downloaded and that the back out process was simply a case of reloading the stock ECU code. Being a techie I asked if this was like a dual BIOS in a computer where it writes the code to the spare one, verifies it then uploads to live one... responses was "yes it is similar"

So moving on ....attempt 1, 2.....well after 3 failed attempts where the ECU was part programmed (sorry to be fair 1 of the attempts was successful but failed during the verification process) I suggested that it was getting late and that I wanted to back out and revert to OEM code. "Not a Problem", well that is where I was wrong! THe backup of my ECU code had been uploaded to the APR servers in the USA, not to the guys laptop. Therefore to backout it was effectively the same process as to upgrade. Both scenarios resulted in the same problem...a non-starting car.

It seems that in recent weeks APR have introduced a VPN (Virtual Private Network) and this has caused sufficient latency to cause upgrades via GPRS to be "slower" and less reliable. I have been advised that APR have suspended mobile updates globally until further notice. (This does not affect fixed line/ADSL/Cable connections)

During this encounter I lost count of how many times the following phrases were used:

"I successfully performed an update to a TT earlier today"

"Both APR and myself are baffled"

"APR will get VW to resolve the issue"

"I offer a 24hr UK get you running service"

"AMD is a chip replacement upgrade and requires soldering"

"APR offers better performance than AMD but that is not to say AMD should be avoided"

###Final Solution###

VW Assistance! They sent out the AA, who arrived within 40mins. The bloke took one look at the car and said that there was nothing he could do as they did not have the necessary diags. He was also unable to tow the vehicle due to 4x4 therefore a 60-90 min wait was necessary for a flat bed lorry to recover my vehicle. Arrange for APR dude to visit home in the morning to give him one last chance to rectify APR's incompentencies...

7am - APR Dude arrives at home address, hooks up to my broadband, reverts to oem code, and................NOTHING

Give him till 7:30am before I get VW out. IN fact it was 7:50

I am now waiting on the official VW Assistance to see if they can do anything before recovery to Dealership

They are expected before 9am

APR have informally offered me the following:

- any work that is performed by VW at a cost to me will be refunded!

(Awaiting email confirmation, until I hear from them I put it down to a worthless gesture)

- once sorted I can have the full ?450ish worth of software for free.

But I am sure you'll agreed, I am loathed to take this route so have requested a APR "open" credit note

leaving me the option to use it or sell it on

### WHAT NOW ###

VW Assistance/Stealers to resolve current issue

Then down to AMD - the only "REAL" choice for R32 Owners

Beyond Doc's reasons. I can add the following:

a) local!!!!

b) provide an exhaust and ECU bundle

c) majority of staff are ex VW/AUDI etc

d) 4x4 Dyno

e) For some reason I TRUST AMD!

Finally a big thanks to the Worcester GTI gang who stayed till quite late last night despite the cooler weather at night.

PS apologies to the guy who was late getting his girlies Lupo back (sorry cannot remember your name)

[V]

BB

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just replied to your PM....

This is not good at all - if ever there was a case for AmD then this is it, they have thier own premises and as BB says, they are all ex VW/Audi.

First bad thing I have heard about APR - although this seems to be the blokes problems not the code??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to hear that mate. Its a totally unfortunate situation. Im sure Spud is gutted at the situation too as it does no favours to the APR name. Hope you still like us! [;)]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing against Club GTI!...but definately anti-APR

Doh, the APR guy was going to give me my ?3 for the phone call but he didn't. Feel even more ripped off

So lesson learned ... never buy anything off a bloke for cash in a pub car park!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Or Superchips dont forget [:D]

Quote: posted by Tom R32 on 08/09/2004 08:28:28

Just replied to your PM....

This is not good at all - if ever there was a case for AmD then this is it, they have thier own premises and as BB says, they are all ex VW/Audi.

First bad thing I have heard about APR - although this seems to be the blokes problems not the code??

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by The Walrus on 08/09/2004 09:24:18

Or Superchips dont forget [:D]

Don't you start that malarky again[:D]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by bigburd on 08/09/2004 08:20:49

#### Without Prejudice ####

Then down to AMD - the only "REAL" choice for R32 Owners

Beyond Doc's reasons. I can add the following:

a) local!!!!

b) provide an exhaust and ECU bundle

c) majority of staff are ex VW/AUDI etc

d) 4x4 Dyno

e) For some reason I TRUST AMD!

Really sorry to hear about the problems but sure APR will sort it for you as they do care about their work.[:(]

On the AmD matter your reasons above really relate to the "heritage/experience" they have in completing such work, which is invaluable

See my PM to you[;)]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by The Walrus on 08/09/2004 09:33:06

Just letting peeps have an informed choice rather than a blinkered one as always.

Indeed[:)]......oh and hopefully sometime in the future at a meet or similar we will get a chance to catch up, you sound quite an intriguing character[;)]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[:D][:D][:D]

Back up and running, a factory reset seems to have solved the issues.

Thanks to VW Assistance

And roll on AMD!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Glad it was sorted mate.

All this ECU upgrading and stuff, makes you realise that VW may have got the set up correct in the first place especially for reliability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As i promised last night, i've registered to this forum just to read about this! I was the guy with his girlies Lupo! ;)

Anyway, i have to say i'm amazed at how well you handled it last night, i don't think i would have been quite so calm. I noticed a fair few comments that were constantly repeated over and over again and it was starting to get to me! Glad you finally got it sorted anyway. Good old VW!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Odd that the stock image isn't saved locally, we as Revo dealers have local access to the backup stock code if required.

In fact the only stock flash I've had to do was on my own ECU as I got a secondhand one from Danny at RSD that had the wrong ECU code and I flashed it to stock to check that it was OK on the car before I revo'd it.

Reminds me I must ebay my original ECU with the Oettinger code on it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote: posted by Cliveyp on 08/09/2004 10:01:53

As i promised last night, i've registered to this forum just to read about this! I was the guy with his girlies Lupo! ;)

Anyway, i have to say i'm amazed at how well you handled it last night, i don't think i would have been quite so calm. I noticed a fair few comments that were constantly repeated over and over again and it was starting to get to me! Glad you finally got it sorted anyway. Good old VW!

Welcome to the forum Clive, sounds like I would have been not to amused either, and it really bangs home the benefits of having this done at somewhere like AmD, a proper workshop envioroment with multiple brains to call on and unlimited resource. I bet if this happend at AmD they would sort you out whilst you waited, overnight in a hotel or something. You pay yer money, you makes your choice.

Glad its all sorted though! [;)]

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Quote: posted by Tom R32 on 08/09/2004 10:31:35

Quote: posted by Cliveyp on 08/09/2004 10:01:53

Welcome to the forum Clive, sounds like I would have been not to amused either, and it really bangs home the benefits of having this done at somewhere like AmD, a proper workshop envioroment with multiple brains to call on and unlimited resource. I bet if this happend at AmD they would sort you out whilst you waited, overnight in a hotel or something. You pay yer money, you makes your choice.

Glad its all sorted though! [;)]

This is getting abit OTT now!

I like AMD too, but I seriously doubt they'd shack you up in a hotel overnight!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote: posted by Cliveyp on 08/09/2004 10:38:32

At least it's helped my in deciding what i won't be going for if i ever get a 1.8T.

I wouldnt write them off completely, best to try and stay open minded on these things as I know that a few on here are running the APR code with no problems at all - just make sure you get it done at somewhere like Awesome GTI etc, not in a car park [:D]

Tabs has the APR code on his R32, and his whipped the AmD R32 at the Brunters day IIRC.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
And dont forget that was the stage 3 with those amazing cams !!! that had its *** whipped.

A worthwile upgrade [;)]

Quote: posted by Tom R32 on 08/09/2004 10:43:48

Quote: posted by Cliveyp on 08/09/2004 10:38:32

At least it's helped my in deciding what i won't be going for if i ever get a 1.8T.

I wouldnt write them off completely, best to try and stay open minded on these things as I know that a few on here are running the APR code with no problems at all - just make sure you get it done at somewhere like Awesome GTI etc, not in a car park [:D]

Tabs has the APR code on his R32, and his whipped the AmD R32 at the Brunters day IIRC.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts