Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is booked into Awesome for next week for my new APR upgrade maps.

Should be interesting

Spec of my car so far:

MKIV GTI 1.8T....DBW 150BHP (AUM Engine)

APR ECMS 4 Progs including 98 prog...to be updated

Neuspeed FMIC

Neuspeed larger TIP

Milltek 2.5" Down pipe CAT and zorst

JR Filter

Neuspeed ARB's

Powerflex Poly bushed all round

Koni Coilovers

BBS CH alloys..Goddyear F1 GSD 3's

Tarox 2 Piece 6 pot brakes

Oettinger body kit....black magic pearl

Hella Magic smoked rear lights

Full Recaros

Nice spec car...........

Diff /short shift on it's way to be fitted this month

Car will be ready for Coombe and other track venues including the Ring this year

I'm hoping to achieve close to Gary M's figures on my little K03's turbo.........fingers crossed

Got keep up with my old 16V mates from CGTI.

Are these power gaskets worth the effort even with a FMIC and induction kits...........I hate noisy intakes now...I like the car subtle

Ian

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I can't see why you won't achieve similar figures to my car as your spec is almost identical to mine.

Don't bother with a Powergasket, they are very poorly made, instead
have a look at an EVOshield intake gasket as the build quality is
superb.

After a really hard thrashing my inlet manifold is barely warm so it has to be doing something!!

Speak to Badger5 for a price then maybe get Awesome to fit it for you at the same time? Unless you want a go yourself.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't see why you won't achieve similar figures to my car as your spec is almost identical to mine.

Don't bother with a Powergasket, they are very poorly made, instead have a look at an EVOshield intake gasket as the build quality is superb.
After a really hard thrashing my inlet manifold is barely warm so it has to be doing something!!

Speak to Badger5 for a price then maybe get Awesome to fit it for you at the same time? Unless you want a go yourself.
I'm at Awesome on Tuesday all being well...I may try and get the gasket done later....it shouldn't affect the mapping I would doubt.

Looking forward to the before and after result

Ian

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
As you say, the gasket won't affect mapping so just put it on the "to do" list, assuming you still have room?? Damn cars!! [:D]

Good luck for Tuesday, make sure you update us with your results.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you say, the gasket won't affect mapping so just put it on the "to do" list, assuming you still have room?? Damn cars!! [:D]

Exactly...always something to do.............I suppose your waiting to see the JBS K04 conversion before you committ

Cheaper than IHI ?2900...but not by much

Lots of pennies these bigger turbo conversions

Think I'll stick with my reliable K03s for the mo

Gary

Will you be on track ??

Ian

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
As you say, the gasket won't
affect mapping so just put it on the "to do" list, assuming you still
have room?? Damn cars!! [:D]

Exactly...always something to do.............I suppose your waiting to see the JBS K04 conversion before you commit

Gary

Will you be on track ??

Ian
There would have to be a real difference between mine and a K04 setup for me to pay ?2900 for it.

TBH, I can't see it being that more powerful, certainly not
jaw-dropping, maybe 20whp or so which in turn could knock less than
half a second off a 1/4 mile time so I don't think its for me.

I was impressed with Wilko's IHI but again I really thought an IHI'd car would 'feel' a lot faster than it did.

Don't get me wrong, its a fast car but ?5K fast??

I think I've finally come to the end of mods on my car, I now believe
that if you want a very fast car then buy one that's fast out of the
box.

I just don't think I could live with breakages and reliability issues.
Our car is a family car, hence 5 doors, not a sports car!!

I'd love to do a track session sometime, I think it has the potential to be a load of fun and very addictive.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Exactly...always something to do.............I suppose your waiting to see the JBS K04 conversion before you commit

Gary

Will you be on track ??

Ian
There would have to be a real difference between mine and a K04 setup for me to pay ?2900 for it.
TBH, I can't see it being that more powerful, certainly not jaw-dropping, maybe 20whp or so which in turn could knock less than half a second off a 1/4 mile time so I don't think its for me.

I was impressed with Wilko's IHI but again I really thought an IHI'd car would 'feel' a lot faster than it did.

I think I've finally come to the end of mods on my car, I now believe that if you want a very fast car then buy one that's fast out of the box.
I just don't think I could live with breakages and reliability issues. Our car is a family car, hence 5 doors, not a sports car!!

I'd love to do a track session sometime, I think it has the potential to be a load of fun and very addictive.
You've hit the nail right on the head.

Buy it straight out of the box....then just do slight adjustments to suit.

Starting with 150bhp then going over 300hp is a mighty big step...as you said as an everyday car like mine I can't afford breakages using it for work. It then becomes an expensive toy.

250 bhp I think is just right that will keep the car nice and driveable and more importantly reliable. Thrashing an IHI equiped car around the track although nice is too costly not only in fuel but breakages...just ask Bill.

Even my more track focused 16v Golf with approx 200bhp at it's limit was at times a pain in the wallet even with friends helping me out.

Mostly the dreaded 020 box with diff which until I went 2 lire was pretty good then gave me flywheel issues etc.

Best part about our MKIV's is smooth quick reliable cars that are pleasure to drive and to the most part reliable. I spoke to AmD last week and even they said stick with a stock turbo...big ones are too much hastle and they doubt big claims on K04.They reckon they have tried modded K04/K03 but weren't impressed for the outlay...we wait and see.

As you say 2900 is alot of dosh for a 20whp gain...if that

I'd rather sink that into a new car MK5 or an S4 or something

Ian.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Gary

Will you be on track ??

Ian
TBH, I can't see it being that more powerful, certainly not jaw-dropping, maybe 20whp or so which in turn could knock less than half a second off a 1/4 mile time so I don't think its for me.

I think I've finally come to the end of mods on my car, I now believe that if you want a very fast car then buy one that's fast out of the box.
I just don't think I could live with breakages and reliability issues. Our car is a family car, hence 5 doors, not a sports car!!

Starting with 150bhp then going over 300hp is a mighty big step...as you said as an everyday car like mine I can't afford breakages using it for work. It then becomes an expensive toy.

250 bhp I think is just right that will keep the car nice and driveable and more importantly reliable. Thrashing an IHI equiped car around the track although nice is too costly not only in fuel but breakages...just ask Bill.

Even my more track focused 16v Golf with approx 200bhp at it's limit was at times a pain in the wallet even with friends helping me out.

Mostly the dreaded 020 box with diff which until I went 2 lire was pretty good then gave me flywheel issues etc.

Best part about our MKIV's is smooth quick reliable cars that are pleasure to drive and to the most part reliable. I spoke to AmD last week and even they said stick with a stock turbo...big ones are too much hastle and they doubt big claims on K04.They reckon they have tried modded K04/K03 but weren't impressed for the outlay...we wait and see.

Ian.
What breakages would these be Ian??? eh!

1 x g'box... (2nd gear) how many did your mk2 16v consume?

2 x exhaust housings on the VF34.

1 x coil pack

2 x MAF's

and a sh1t load of track miles, as well as road miles.... 35K miles on IHI.

It has proven very reliable. given its abuse.

The 300bhp level and thoughts of unreliability for road car are complete tosh... from those who have'nt experienced it.

Like you can use 300bhp on the public fecking roads anyhow these days..

BT from AmD will be more hassle... but thats AmD not BT's LOL

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Gary

Will you be on track ??

Ian

Ian.
What breakages would these be Ian??? eh!

1 x g'box... (2nd gear) how many did your mk2 16v consume?

2 x exhaust housings on the VF34.

1 x coil pack

2 x MAF's

and a sh1t load of track miles, as well as road miles.... 35K miles on IHI.

It has proven very reliable. given its abuse.

The 300bhp level and thoughts of unreliability for road car are complete tosh... from those who have'nt experienced it.

Like you can use 300bhp on the public fecking roads anyhow these days..

BT from AmD will be more hassle... but thats AmD not BT's LOL
Bill

My valver had 1 "5th" gear failure which was rectified cheaply and 2 flywheel bolts that had come lose on 2 occasions.

In comparison the valver was chicken feed compared to your expidenture

Remember Donnington in your blue MKIV.....that went bang.... that Mega expensive Quaiffe Sequential box....bang!! in fact most trackdays that I have been at when your on track you have issues boiling brakes like you say MAF's Coil Packs etc.........your going to with your spec of car

It is ok if you can afford

A. The expenditure getting to 300 +bhp and

B. Afford the breakages

I'm sure an IHI converted car can be reliable but at my hands on track I'm sure I would start getting reliabilty issues that would hurt the wallet big time..the newer cars ain't cheap compared to the old MK1&2's. I just hope it all holds together for your season of racing.

Going as quickly as you do comes at a price.

Ian

·
Registered
680 Posts
Bill

My valver had 1 "5th" gear failure which was rectified cheaply and 2 flywheel bolts that had come lose on 2 occasions.

Remember Donnington in your blue MKIV.....that went bang.... that Mega expensive Quaiffe Sequential box....bang!! in fact most trackdays that I have been at when your on track you have issues boiling brakes like you say MAF's Coil Packs etc.........your going to with your spec of car

B. Afford the breakages

I'm sure an IHI converted car can be reliable but at my hands on track I'm sure I would start getting reliabilty issues that would hurt the wallet big time..the newer cars ain't cheap compared to the old MK1&2's. I just hope it all holds together for your season of racing.

Ian
You need to get your facts right Ian.

"that Mega expensive Quaiffe Sequential box....bang!!" - <<<--- Bang? WTF are you on about? Not sequential box, it was a 6spd dog box with sequential shifter, and never did it go bang either. Gear s election issues for sure but not bang and nothing whatso ever to do with IHI. Std 02A boix in there for 12 months now, with track abuse no problems.

mk4 dropped a valve... same as YOURs can and might do when you're on track. Not IHI related, 1.8T related and common on 20v vag motors. (hence why I identified and sourced uprated valves and supply most UK 1.8T tuners)

Boiled brakes... same as YOU will find at Combe without IHI/BT... lardy arsed mk4 and track use = heat.

You of all people know what its takes to go faster on track, and the costs invololved to try and go faster.... like track tyres, from road tyres.

All a question of how fast do you want to go, and how much are you prepared to spend to get there. IHI is very road reliable when driven normally. Certainly faster than the roads and scamera's allow most of the time.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bill

B. Afford the breakages

Ian
You need to get your facts right Ian.

"that Mega expensive Quaiffe Sequential box....bang!!" - <<<--- Bang? WTF are you on about? Not sequential box, it was a 6spd dog box with sequential shifter, and never did it go bang either. Gear s election issues for sure but not bang and nothing whatso ever to do with IHI. Std 02A boix in there for 12 months now, with track abuse no problems.

mk4 dropped a valve... same as YOURs can and might do when you're on track. Not IHI related, 1.8T related and common on 20v vag motors. (hence why I identified and sourced uprated valves and supply most UK 1.8T tuners)

Boiled brakes... same as YOU will find at Combe without IHI/BT... lardy arsed mk4 and track use = heat.

You of all people know what its takes to go faster on track, and the costs invololved to try and go faster.... like track tyres, from road tyres.

All a question of how fast do you want to go, and how much are you prepared to spend to get there. IHI is very road reliable when driven normally. Certainly faster than the roads and scamera's allow most of the time.
Dropping valves on the MKIV are new to me...and according to VAG...maybe not Jabba

I think it's more like running an IHI into the high 7000rpm on track...hence your advice to change them

Stock K03's run out of real puff at 5500-6k...no real threat there unless you miss a cogg...easily done on track though. Again your right about "it's all about how much your prepared to spend"

Making a choice personally when you mentioned an Evo 6 being very quick (as it should) out of the box I'd pick that if only I could afford the petrol

Ian

·
Registered
680 Posts
Dropping valves on the MKIV are new to me...and according to VAG...maybe not Jabba

I think it's more like running an IHI into the high 7000rpm on track...hence your advice to change them

Stock K03's run out of real puff at 5500-6k...no real threat there unless you miss a cogg...easily done on track though. Again your right about "it's all about how much your prepared to spend"

Making a choice personally when you mentioned an Evo 6 being very quick (as it should) out of the box I'd pick that if only I could afford the petrol

Ian
High revs almost certainly contributed to mk4 failure... that and it being the demo car abused by a lot of wannabie test pilots before I bought it. That and the main fact its shite quaife 6spd speed box it came with (that I did'nt want) also had very bad s election and caused me to buzz the motor 3 times during the day @ Kames cgti sprint from top of 2nd gear back into 1st when I went for 3rd! You can imagine the revs it saw.. (on the day it survived, but you have to wonder what it did, as Donny a while later it let go)

you want power, and track use you WILL be revving it as you well know.

20v failure is'nt news to VAG... or the suppliers of parts.... Autotechnik last year were doing them monthly... They may be in denial as usual.. LOL (coil packs, MAF's etc)

EVO VI out of the box *should* be quick, but on track I have yet to see a faster one.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
My 1900 Mk2 went through 2 gearboxes... both times 2nd gear...

Speeds justa question of money! how fast do ya wanna go?

·
Registered
680 Posts

I consumed my 16v box more than twice... good old 020's

I wanna go faster than I have money for... DOH

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I consumed my 16v box more than twice... good old 020's

I wanna go faster than I have money for... DOH
It's an expensive hobby/interest.......especially when using your everyday car on track...DOH

1 - 18 of 18 Posts