Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BiG, big thanks for all your time last night Jim...don't know of anyone else out there spending so much time and effort getting my car spot on.

With all of the products you have supplied it drives superbly without totall y breaking the bank.It's a nice everyday reliable package that will be superb on road and track which is always a difficult compromise.

I have posted a seperate thread on the tuning forum

Thanks again
Cool [H]

Ian

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ade,

Nearly there APR vs CC2, the torque is there now, it will be REALLY interesting to see what you get of my Octy vRS when it comes in on Tuesday-Thursday as it is an AUQ engine and almost identical in spec to Gary's , even better if you can get v-tune working with it, ( Jim's looking into it) then can try Gary's trick with the Millers CVL Turbo and more agressive timing!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My last two runs have been without CVL Turbo.

Christmas run was BP Ultimate 97ron, no octane booster.

Yesterdays run was Optimax and Millers Octane + giving 98-99ron.

Roll on Tesco's finest 99ron eh Jim?? [:p] or Shell V-Max which I believe will be replacing Optimax.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My last two runs have been without CVL Turbo.

Christmas run was BP Ultimate 97ron, no octane booster.
Yesterdays run was Optimax and Millers Octane + giving 98-99ron.

Roll on Tesco's finest 99ron eh Jim?? [:p] or Shell V-Max which I believe will be replacing Optimax.
When are Shell bringing out Vmax and RON will it be?

Will my ECU adapt much using Millers for a better result on the RR??

iAN

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, dropped the car off today at Awesome. for custom mapping.....will post the results as soon as Jim has finished it.....can't wait! BTW

Gary,

I got Lemmiwinks to work with the APR Map the same as Custom settings, upped the timing on BPSUL by 0.75 degrees and saw an 3.5 G/sec peak reading on block 003, set it back to standard though prior to it going into Awesome....useful to know if APR dont initialise V-Tune as Lemmiwinks controls the same channels.

Interesting bit of info, did some logging runs the other day using my normal optimax, got some timing pull upto 2.3 Degrees sporadically, filled up with BP SUL and the car seemed to feel better so did some logging runs........0 timing pull anywhere, same day, same temps etc....maybe BP IS better than Optimax as per Evo mags results?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I'm very happy with BP Ultimate though can't say I have noticed a difference compared to Optimax.

Considering I have two BP garages within a couple of miles then it makes perfect sense to use it.

Good luck with your map, looking forward to your results!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, dropped the car off today at Awesome. for custom mapping.....will post the results as soon as Jim has finished it.....can't wait! BTW

Gary,

I got Lemmiwinks to work with the APR Map the same as Custom settings, upped the timing on BPSUL by 0.75 degrees and saw an 3.5 G/sec peak reading on block 003, set it back to standard though prior to it going into Awesome....useful to know if APR dont initialise V-Tune as Lemmiwinks controls the same channels.

Interesting bit of info, did some logging runs the other day using my normal optimax, got some timing pull upto 2.3 Degrees sporadically, filled up with BP SUL and the car seemed to feel better so did some logging runs........0 timing pull anywhere, same day, same temps etc....maybe BP IS better than Optimax as per Evo mags results?
What is this Vtune or Leminwinks system...how does that work....is something you adjust using a diagnostic tool.

Jim didn't mention this....is this something APR would adjust during mapping..I thought boost/timing was done on their map?

Or is it something you adjust for RR days and then put it back to normal for road use??

Ian

·
Registered
87 Posts
V-Tune is APR and Lemmiwinks was developed by Revo, they are programs you can download for free and allow adjutment of timing, boost ( to some degree) and 8 other fuelling / timing related parameters. It doesnt mess with the map characteristics, just moves it up or down throughout the range i.e if you increase the timing by 1.5Degrees to get the best results / power gains from octane booster ( it is useless without the extra timing and does nothing unless your car is already pulling timing) Gary has seen 9bhp and 20+lbs ft from this on RR days.

If you want to try Lemmiwinks, the link to download it is here ( lifted from Vortex!!)

I'd like to built a good guide to understand 100% how to fine tune our engines with the help of Lemmiwinks, as nobody has done it before and all the info is spreaded all over the forums.

Please help me complete this guide posting all the information you have about all adaptation channels, if some of the specs or definitions are wrong please post and I'll update the specs on the original post, I'll do it until it has been done right.

Ch01 : Idle Speed Offset
Adjust idle RPM level
- Higher number: increase idle rpm
- Lower number: decrease idle rpm

Ch02 : Fuel Tweak (Accel Pump); Increasing Loads
-This channel adjusts a fuel enrichment under load
-Modulates Throttle Response

Ch03 : Fuel Tweak (Accel Pump); Decreasing Loads
-This channel adjusts a fuel enrichment term coming off the gas or decelerating.

Ch04 : Start Up Fuel Enrich
Amount of fuel on any start ups?
- Higher number: enrich the mix
- Lower number: lean out the mix

Ch05 : Warm Up fuel Enrich
Amount of fuel on start ups E.G. on the first start in the morning?

Ch06 : Lambda Regulation
Controls how fast ECU adapts:
- Higher number: faster adaptation
- Lower number: slower adaptation

Ch07 : Additive Offset To Speed Limiter
Controls speed limiter in increments ok 1km/hr

Ch08 : Secondary Fuel Tweak
It adjust gain on the injectors responce
- Higher number will increase the injector responce (smooths the ride)
- Lower number will decrease injector responce (decrease backfires)

Ch09 : Ignition Timing Offset
Controls timing in steps of 0.75 degrees, all RPM range is altered
- Higher number advances timing
- Lower number retards timing

Ch10 : Primary Fuel Tweak
Controls fueling on run, ussually change multiplicative fuel trims
- Higher number enrich the mix
- Lower number lean out the mix

Ch11 : Unused
Unused

Ch12 : SEL Scaling (Turbo Cars Only)
Adjust fueling maps according to boost settings
- Higher number increase injection period for higher boost
- Lower number decrease injection period for lower boost

Ch13 : OFF OFF
Unused

Ch14 : Idle Torque Additive Offset
Controls engine load at idle
- Higher numbers: spec load at idle is increased
- Lower numbers: spec load at idle is decreased

Aditional Information from Revotechnik:
Adaptation Channer Explanation
Revo Comparison of Adaptation Channels and Tuning

Download Lemmiwinks Now from Ecodetuning
Download Lemmiwinks Now from Unixprohost

How to:
1. Place key in ignition, turn to on position.
2. Attach VagCom 'dongle'.
3. Bring up Lemmiwinks software
4. To store original ECU settings Click ON "Read". This reads your current settings.
5.Adjust settings at will.
6.Click on 'SET' to connect to the ECU and adapt settings.
7. When asked to cycle ECU, simply turn it off, then turn the ECU back on.
8. Enjoy (hopefully) new settings.

Hints
1. Take off your Instrument Cluster Fuse if you can't establish communication with the ECU. clear airbag DTCs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Got my car back today..........well I thought that it was good on the APR Base code....smooth, powerful....just what I was after from a remap....the custom mapping has taken it to a new level, the graphs are taken from the car straight after the custom mapping so the ECU has not even fully adapted yet. How does it drive? well now fifth is like fourth was on the base code it just keeps pulling right to the redline just difficult keeping it to sane speeds now[6] the torque spread is unbelievable and makes the car far more driveable both at speed and around town.

I have deliberated for ages as to what remap to go for and I am really impressed with the results, a Big thanks to Jim and the Guys at APR for doing such a fantastic job....and John for being so persistant you eventually won me over[:D]

Wheel Power....

·
Registered
87 Posts
One word for it...................AWESOME!

I have done about 300 miles in it over the last day and a half, it is super smooth all the way to the redline and the way the car accelerates now is unbelievable, the power comes in low down and just keeps on going. Jim said that APR had set the map up so that it achieved maximum power and torque but gave a really smooth drive and delivery, well they have achieved that to perfection.

I do a lot of m'way miles as well and one noticeable thing is that at these speeds you cannot feel any vibration or hear the engine when on cruise it really is that refined. The map will take about 5 days to really settle in and it just seems to be getting better by the hour, I say 5 days as the base code took about that amount of time to really stop improving.

Anyone thinking of going APR and wondering whether you will be pleased with it, my advice is just do it this really is how VAG should have mapped the car in the first place IMO[:D]

If you are local to Awesome GTI I would be more than happy to take you for a spin in it!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If you are local to Awesome GTI I would be more than happy to take you for a spin in it!
I think we need to compare maps [:D]

That's if you're up for a mini meetup in the near future?

Glad to hear it went well, numbers look good and that its everything you hoped it would be[Y]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Gary,

Would be more than happy to, I just can't believe the difference in the car over the initial code, never mind pre remap, (as the monkey in the saxo vtr found out whilst trying to get into my boot in wakefield![;)]) I might be able to make a week on Saturday.

BTW I put the 4Bar FPR on but put the 3 bar in a box in the car, APR said that the 4 Bar gave the wrong spray pattern so Jim changed it back to the 3 Bar..oh well, it will go straight back on ebay! where it came from unless someone on here or SCN is looking for one!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think we need to compare maps [:D]
That's if you're up for a mini meetup in the near future?

Glad to hear it went well, numbers look good and that its everything you hoped it would be[Y]
Gary

I must confer with dsrr comments....I know you have experienced APR before speaking to Jim....as you will agree a large improvement on APR's original code with all the add on bits benefitting the map.....the map does give a super smooth delivery...as you said the poor K03 does have it's limitations but even so the end result of maximising the hardware of the MKIV does give respectable figures.

I like Dsrr would say the engine seems far more refined and quiet for some reason and the delivery is super smooth...no snatchiness...certainly I would recommend their product.

I think the APR 300+bhp conversion is the only conversion I would consider as it's tried and tested to the highest standards for the US market...now APR Australia have developed the kit for RHD I would consider this with their full warranty back up.

Other than that maybe a RS4 or RS2...one day maybe

Ian

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
V-Tune is APR and Lemmiwinks was developed by Revo, they are programs you can download for free and allow adjutment of timing, boost ( to some degree) and 8 other fuelling / timing related parameters. It doesnt mess with the map characteristics, just moves it up or down throughout the range i.e if you increase the timing by 1.5Degrees to get the best results / power gains from octane booster ( it is useless without the extra timing and does nothing unless your car is already pulling timing) Gary has seen 9bhp and 20+lbs ft from this on RR days.

If you want to try Lemmiwinks, the link to download it is here ( lifted from Vortex!!)

I'd like to built a good guide to understand 100% how to fine tune our engines with the help of Lemmiwinks, as nobody has done it before and all the info is spreaded all over the forums.

Please help me complete this guide posting all the information you have about all adaptation channels, if some of the specs or definitions are wrong please post and I'll update the specs on the original post, I'll do it until it has been done right.

Ch01 : Idle Speed Offset
Adjust idle RPM level
- Higher number: increase idle rpm
- Lower number: decrease idle rpm

Ch02 : Fuel Tweak (Accel Pump); Increasing Loads
-This channel adjusts a fuel enrichment under load
-Modulates Throttle Response

Ch03 : Fuel Tweak (Accel Pump); Decreasing Loads
-This channel adjusts a fuel enrichment term coming off the gas or decelerating.

Ch04 : Start Up Fuel Enrich
Amount of fuel on any start ups?

Ch05 : Warm Up fuel Enrich
Amount of fuel on start ups E.G. on the first start in the morning?

Ch06 : Lambda Regulation
Controls how fast ECU adapts:
- Higher number: faster adaptation
- Lower number: slower adaptation

Ch07 : Additive Offset To Speed Limiter
Controls speed limiter in increments ok 1km/hr

Ch08 : Secondary Fuel Tweak
It adjust gain on the injectors responce
- Higher number will increase the injector responce (smooths the ride)
- Lower number will decrease injector responce (decrease backfires)

Ch09 : Ignition Timing Offset
Controls timing in steps of 0.75 degrees, all RPM range is altered
- Higher number advances timing
- Lower number retards timing

Ch10 : Primary Fuel Tweak
Controls fueling on run, ussually change multiplicative fuel trims
- Higher number enrich the mix
- Lower number lean out the mix

Ch11 : Unused
Unused

Ch12 : SEL Scaling (Turbo Cars Only)
Adjust fueling maps according to boost settings
- Higher number increase injection period for higher boost
- Lower number decrease injection period for lower boost

Ch13 : OFF OFF
Unused

Ch14 : Idle Torque Additive Offset
Controls engine load at idle
- Higher numbers: spec load at idle is increased
- Lower numbers: spec load at idle is decreased

Aditional Information from Revotechnik:
Adaptation Channer Explanation
Revo Comparison of Adaptation Channels and Tuning

Download Lemmiwinks Now from Ecodetuning
Download Lemmiwinks Now from Unixprohost

How to:
1. Place key in ignition, turn to on position.
2. Attach VagCom 'dongle'.
3. Bring up Lemmiwinks software
4. To store original ECU settings Click ON "Read". This reads your current settings.
5.Adjust settings at will.
6.Click on 'SET' to connect to the ECU and adapt settings.
7. When asked to cycle ECU, simply turn it off, then turn the ECU back on.
8. Enjoy (hopefully) new settings.

Hints
1. Take off your Instrument Cluster Fuse if you can't establish communication with the ECU. clear airbag DTCs.
Idon't I'll bother with Vtune....I'll just accept what APR's map can safely give...I may try Octanve booster just to see if it dows anything more at another RR day.....my figures may have improved against APR's base line map now it's adapted...certainly feels so

Ian

1 - 20 of 80 Posts