Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Been reading rave reviews on these filters, hardly any dust going through to the engine with these. I have checked ebay and they are available from the states. Was wondering if i could go and pick these up anywhere.

This should fit nicely onto the carbonio pipe work. And provide cleaner air than the existing filter or any other. I just need the cone and adapter.

Any help appreaciated

Hafizur

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hi Hafizur,

Ive been running an A'pexi filter for about 27 months now. got mine from ebay, was goona buy a new universal unit but found a nearly new supra turbo filter going cheap. most jap car run more bhp than golfs do so flow rate wont be a problem.

got mine as i used to have one one on my STI impreza, they are dry filters so they dont kill MAF's [:D]

If your struggling get one from a skyline or impreza etc

try this though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Apexi-Power-Intake-Air-Filter-Universal_W0QQitemZ130069178608QQihZ003QQcategoryZ43120QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hope it helps

Jambo

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks dude

i did look at that one

and as since no body else in the uk seems to have them

got no choice, should see a bit more air going into the engine

hafizur

·
Registered
405 Posts
Never heard of these before, how does it work with the dry filter then in terms of life of the filter?  Who do you clean it?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maintenance free

from a comparison someone did, where they sucked dirt using a vacuum cleaner, and putting the filter on the vacuum head, the apexi let through the least amount of dirt. it was twice as clean as the K&N filter.

so that means cleaner air, could mean better performance

The Power Intake is the premier air filter designed to create pure horsepower. The intake funnels used in racing machines take advantage of a characteristic where air travels along the side of the side of surfaces. However, the center portion of the funnel is virtually unused. It is this concept that gave birth to the Dual Funnel design. A primary funnel on the top portion of the air cleaner was inserted to channel the air flow directly into the lower funnels at the base of the cleaner. This design was a huge success on the former Super Intake model. The Power Intake took this design and improved the flow characteristics. New funnel design, element material and air flow channeling characteristics make the Power Intake one of the most efficient air cleaners on the market today. By constructing the upper and lower funnel from a highly durable injected resin, engineers were able to construct the ideal shaped funnel previously not possible with the stainless steel material. Funnel shapes focused on increasing air speed without changing the flow direction of the intake air. The result is a high speed and smooth flow of air into the intake. The lower funnel has been engineered at a 14 degree curve for maximum efficiency. Also, the lower funnel position has been made even closer to the base of the cleaner to reduce drag and eliminate any ?dead spots? within the cleaner.

The Power Intake incorporates a newly developed material (layer filter of dry density fibers) which improves the element density. This allows maximum protection from foreign materials entering the engine. Compared with past model, the Power Intake has also succeeded in decreasing its ventilation resistance by about 10% (pressure loss) for maximum performance and protection. The Power Intake is dry-type filter and is trouble free. Some of the problems associated with wet type cleaners, such as oil sticking to the air flow meter, are a thing of the past. The Power Intake is basically maintenance free. Filter replacement, when necessary, can be done at a very low cost.
thats fromt the Apexi Website

hafizur

·
Registered
405 Posts
So when do you determine if the filter need replaced?  Might look into this a bit more.  Are these popular with the jap boyos?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they are maintenance free, so i am assuming they dont need cleaning

yep, they are used on the jap cars a lot

more air flowing through them

hafizur

·
Registered
513 Posts
as mine was from a supra it came with the supra pipe, ive just fitted the pipe to the maf using a samco coupler, not the prettiest but does the job, ive only been meaning to make a new adapter in work for the last 2 yrs but never get chance to get round to it.

the guy on that ebay link is selling them seperatly but he want 17 quid p&p

ill see if i have a pic if not ill take one, just no laughing at the temperary (2yr) job[:D]

Jambo[Y]

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well my adapter flange is on order, only 17 quid delivered. was going to make one the other night in work as i had some free time, no material to make it with, scrap metal man had been that day[:mad:]

genuine A'pexi part though. gonna use it inside my smoothed airbox with cold feed will get some pics up when its on.

·
Registered
348 Posts
whats it sound like?? i like it.... carbonio would go too far down scared of water intake... that doesnt go anywhere:) ?ive seen the pipercross vipers... can they be routed to stay in that sort of area too .. i.e where the old air box was? and not down in the bumper

·
Registered
72 Posts
jambo, that apexi kit you linked on ebay, does that come with just the filter? on your photo of your engine, you have a metal pipe, with one side connected to the filter, and the other to the existing black intake pipe. Would i have to purchase that pipe seperately, or does it come with the filter?

cheers mate.

·
Registered
513 Posts
No it does state in the description that the adapter has to be purchased seperatly. Mine came with the pipe as it was from a supra turbo and that is the supra pipe that comes with it. If the seller has stopped selling at that pro mo price the best bet is to do what i did and get a good condition 2nd hand one from a jap car off ebay, some will come with pipework depending on the car.

Jambo[Y]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts