Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine did today, Shaq's ones they lasted 7 months though which is great.

Anyway now they are flashing on and off and people must think i have chav esque headlight strobes [:(]

In other lighting news i changed to US spec gti rears [:p]

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Oh don't say that Bruce, i've just had some new LED sidelights delivered today!! But having said that, i didn't get mine from Shaq, i got mine from http://www.ultraleds.co.uk.

Glad to hear you went with the US spec's... You made the right choice my friend! [Y]

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Ryan, I got my leds from them for my mk4 and they only last a few weeks matey.. Hope yours last longer than mine and Gti fly's[:(]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Did have some from Ultraleds, the ones that have one central larger led and then smaller ones clustered around the outside.

Lasted about 6 months.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Ryan, I got my leds from them for my mk4 and they only last a few weeks matey.. Hope yours last longer than mine and Gti fly's[:(]
I actually ordered those ones of Deadlock's, purely because the life of an LED isn't that good generally, but as his have lasted 13 months so far and he seems pleased with them, i thought that was pretty good! [:D]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I actually ordered those ones of Deadlock's, purely because the life of an LED isn't that good generally
LEDs inherently last longer than equivalent filament bulbs, but it may depend on the conditions. For example, if they are standard LEDs driven near or over their limit, rather than the more expensive ultra-bright type used in OEM automotive applications or transport signalling, then they will not last long.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
another thing that can cause the LED side lights to blown is the surge of power when starting up the car for example.

What might be worth doing is fitting a simple 12v regulator circuit in line with power feed for the side lights.

Use something like a 7812 regulator, do a search on google for a simple circuit, cost will be around a ?1 to build.

Just my opinion

aRd

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
another thing that can cause the LED side lights to blown is the surge of power when starting up the car for example.
Do you start your car with the lights on? [^o)] If anything when you start the car, the lights dim (or in the case of the dipped beams, practically turn right off) as the starter zaps the juice from the battery.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Do you start your car with the lights on? [^o)] If anything when you start the car, the lights dim (or in the case of the dipped beams, practically turn right off) as the starter zaps the juice from the battery.
its can happen, voltage does go up and down, thats what I meant to say, when the alternator is charging 12 -13.8v approx. I guess these LED's are at their limit, so if you fit a regulator in line you will alway get a pure 12v to the LEDs. May help the life of the LEDs or heat can cause LEDs to fail.

When your lights dim when you start your car and then come back, that a surge of power going back to the lights.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
When your lights dim when you start your car and then come back, that a surge of power going back to the lights.
I don't start my car with the lights on, generally, that was just an observation. Did it when trouble-shooting my starter motor recently though, and I may look into a 12 V regulator because the lights still dim slightly when you do stuff like operate the electric windows. Looks a bit naff [N]

I've got single-LED sidelights with big fat resistors (supplied in a kit), going strong so far, still very bright, hope they last.

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/321564/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well mine have now failed to the point that they are flashing on and off repeatedly like an undercover cop car.

I swear on my mums life i had 2 people slow down to 30mph in a 60 tonight and indicate for me to overtake them hahahaha!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
The bulbs I got from Shaq seemed to go every two weeks, though only on
the drivers side. It got the stage that I got fed up waiting for a
replacement so ordered some different ones from ultraleds. This bulbs
have now been on 4-5 months without any problems.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ive got a make called Prism from my local car shop and i think Ultra leds supply them but they have lasted me well over a year with no problems

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
One of mine went a few days ago, was doing the flashing thing so i've taken both of them out and gone back to normal bulbs. The colour of them looks weird next to the xenons.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts