Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its that time again [:(] - the dreaded insurance is due and I'm now the owner of a GT TDI 130 - just a slight increase from my previous 1.6S [:D] NOT!!!!!!!! Zurch have quote me almost ?900 [:O]

I'm 24, male

5 years NCB

1 SP60 (4 years ago)

1 Claim (4 years ago!)

****IMPORTANT - I'm also about to stick on the 17" S3 Alloys and the votext Body Kit [^]

Or I might just sell up and buy my old BMX back [:(]

·
Registered
874 Posts
Sounds a bit steep mate, especially with 5yrs NCB.

I'm 23, 2 years NCB, 1 fault claim (18months ago), 1 SP30 (4 years ago). Mine is a 115. With the alloys declared, Bell direct quoted just over ?700. Adrian Flux wanted ?800. Most of the others were around ?900.

·
Registered
287 Posts
How do you have 5 years no claims... if you had a claim 4 years ago????

Is this all the protected no claims stuff I hear about? I've had 4 years no claims on the bike but no one ever offered me the option to protect it.

education required please :)

R

·
Registered
464 Posts
Im 25 with 5 years NCB and no points - Im with direct line for about ?500.

I think its a postcode lottery though. Also I dont know how Direct Line will like the wheels and or bodykit - mines standard.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
yes Rich, if you protect your NCB, then you are allowed a certain no. of claims in a certain time frame without it impacting on your NCB. I just can't remember what each of the factors is [!]. Someone else will enlighten you i'm sure................

·
Registered
186 Posts
post code counts for alot - I'm 34 with 8yrs no claims (protected), 1 no fault claim last yr and vandalism claim 3yrs ago, clean license and mines ?450

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by R1GTI on 29/06/2004 12:25:32

How do you have 5 years no claims... if you had a claim 4 years ago????

Is this all the protected no claims stuff I hear about? I've had 4 years no claims on the bike but no one ever offered me the option to protect it.

education required please :)

R

A question I am scared to ask myself mate - my claim went 50/50 - I've had a lot of hassle with it too - I had my claim with Endsleigh but when I left them and went to Eagle Star they gave me a letter stating I had 3years NCB even though I had a claim??? I confirmed it with them and they didn't query it so I shut up and keep my fingers crossed it doesn't come back to haunt me [;)] needless to say I've kept all paper work should I need to prove it and also got it protected now - they an't hav'in it back [:D]

At the end of the day it makes a change for us to get one on them [;)]

·
Registered
512 Posts
Do you live in Iraq? Thats madness! I pay around that to insure my R and I am only 2 years older than you (and that with them knowing about my mods)

Shop around - that sounds like they dont want your business!

·
Registered
875 Posts
You can have two fault claims in 5 year period before it affects a protected NCB. On a third claim the number of years NCB will likely be reduced rather than being wiped out. In most cases you have to have 4 years NCB before you can protect it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote: posted by Tom R32 on 29/06/2004 13:52:34

Do you live in Iraq? Thats madness! I pay around that to insure my R and I am only 2 years older than you (and that with them knowing about my mods)

Shop around - that sounds like they dont want your business!

Yes mate quite agree - my only problem is the Claim issue! most insurers ask how I've kept my NCB when I tell them I had a claim 4 years ago! I will hunt around though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I renewed recently and found that some places only ask for info on claims in the last 3 yrs and others in the last 4/5yrs - as I had a claim for vandalism in Jan 2001 (which is classed as a fault claim) I went with a 3yr insurer (via quoteline direct) as they were cheapest for me

·
Registered
445 Posts
Why does that sp60 count? Its only up to 3 years that points have to be declared, and after 4 years they are wiped from your license completely.

Unfortunately this comes from a magistrate telling me this

·
Registered
874 Posts
You can have a claim 1 year ago and still have 2 years NCB (like me) because you dont lose all of your NCB when you make a claim, you only lose 2 years of it.

For example, I had 3 years NCB (not protected) but then made a claim. This dropped me down to 1 year for when my renewal was due 6 months later. Now 18 months after the claim I have 2years NCB.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have just turned 23 with a PD 130 and I am paying ?1000 with 6 points on my licence, I found one company a little cheaper than Tesco who i took my policy out with, I have a claim going through at the moment and they were fantastic so I opted to pay a little more and have peace of mind. By the way that including Protected no claims.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just renewed my insurance with Bell Direct - I have a 03 plate PD150 and it came out to ?300! It was ?130 cheaper than the next best insurer, and THEY'RE MOD FRIENDLY!!! [:D]

Got talking with the insurance telesales bloke who owns a PD130, and fortunately he knew all about the Revo upgrades. He said that mods are fine as long as they don't add more than 40% to your BHP.

Obviously they do hike your premium - dunno how much extra it would be.

Was with Admiral who were ?430, and whenever I rang them I got an Indian call centre who didn't even have a clue about engine mods or revo.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Adam - change your surname to Czkypiddlezjec and just avoid insurance altogether.......

........get non-contributory NGH care, a low rent house (if not free) and a cash handout every week.

Sorted!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Try www.elephant.co.uk - sorted me out a treat on my 1.8T and when I was looking at getting an diesel Anni (beofre house deposit's came into the equation :eek:( ) they did good too. The preminum was only going to go up about ?100 from my battered old 306 to a lush Anni :eek:)

C

1 - 20 of 25 Posts