Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have recently been thinking of replacing my much loved Honda Civic Type R with a diesel as i am starting to save for a house deposit and looking at getting a mortgage in the near future. I had considered the new Civic diesel but until prices drop i think they are a little steep for what i want to pay. I know VAG make tremendous diesel engines so i am thinking of defecting the dark side and buying German [A] a mk5 GT TDI 140 preferably. Do any of you guys own the above? Can you give me any feedback, i need to book myself a test drive as i have only experienced the 105bhp version but i would be very interested to hear your opinions!

Cheers,

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had the GT TDI 140 DSG for a month now and love it. The only comparison I can give it to though is the old mark IV GTI (2.0 version, not the proper GTI) and the ride, handling, power etc is far superior. I would even suggest the interior is almost as good, although that is possibly the only thing that I didn't find quite to the same quality.

As mentioned in other posts I couldn't go back to a manual gearbox now, but that is mainly due to the circumstances of the majority of my driving. The diesel engine is very quiet when driving, although you will notice it when idling. It depends on whether that really bothers you, it doesn't me. I have found the engine and ride to be most noticeably superior to my old car from the 40-70mph range where I find it outstanding.

I couldn't afford to go for many options on the car so could not go into much detail there. I simply went for the winter pack, carpet mats and a centre armrest.

To summarise I am extremely happy with the purchase, but wish I could have had some extra money at the time to purchase more options. Does anyone know whether there are any options you can retro fit?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I went for my car ( its a company one ) in order to reduce my tax liability and promptly buggerd it up by adding a sunroof, winter pack, lux pack 1, diamond black paint, 17" indiannapolis alloys, RA2, parking sensors and 'phone prep ( with German spec interface box to get the thing working properly show it shows the call on the dash ). List price £23206.

The standard car is good ( although mine has suffered with appalling build quality ) but when modified its so much better[:D]. I've had a '71 Beetle, a mk1 GTi, a mk2 Gti with 1.9 conversion, a mk4 1.8T and now this car so have "enjoyed" a fair view VAGs.

The re-map transforms the way the car performs ( 0-62 in around 7.9s and top speed of something like 133 mph ) and the eibach pros give the car a better look and better handling without significantly changing the ride quality.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I bought my GT TDI in March 2004 and so far has covered 19 000 miles, some long trips (including a thrash through France when it was 6 months old) but mostly shortish journeys with no problems whatsoever. (tempting fate I know) The car is comfortable, no quibbles about the standard of finish and the standard peformance is good. Need to rev it a bit like a petrol engine to get the best out of it, pulls strongly from 1800 revs and still has enough at 4500.

Had it remapped at Superchips earlier this year, well worth it for the extra performance (now around 185BHP) without too much penalty with fuel consumption. 40mpg on short runs, 50 on longer. Best car I've had for a long time.

regards

Andrew

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Other than an aching back and a leg that hurts after being stuck in traffic the golf is great, definatly get it chipped though.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Other than an aching back and a leg that hurts after being stuck in traffic the golf is great, definatly get it chipped though.
Really? I find the seats in my mk iv (1.6SE and TDi 150) really supportive. Are the new seats not as good?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I find with the leather seats the side boulsters on the base are to firm and I end up sitting on them instead of between them, I also find that with the leather the folds in the material are really hard and push into my back. Its a shame as I really like the car and altough I've owned it for getting on to 15 months I'm considering swapping it, top of the list so far is the 120d I don't usually like BM's but there is something about the 1er. With the golf, try and pick one up with an armrest, dual AC other options are mice but not needed. Colour, it has to be black. Checks .... look for corrosion on the alloys and see if the DMF (Flywheel recall) has been carried out if getting a used one. Also shop around, prices do seem to vary.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies fella's, greatly appreciated. I have test driven a 140 this evening (Reflex Silver, 5 door, dual zone climate etc) and was actually quite impressed. I am seriously thinking of changing. It seems i can have some fun, be comfortable on long journeys, and still save money! A couple more questions for you, firstly the car is an 04 plate with 80'000 miles on it :O, do you consider this to be an issue? Secondly would this amount of miles pose any problem with a remap? Third, which is the best map? Jabba? Superchips? Revo? other?

Thanks again,

PS. Car is up at 11k, what is your take on this?

·
Registered
809 Posts
The TDI is a very different kettle of fish to the Type R, but it's a nice car in a mature sort of way (okay I'm getting too old). Mines got nearly 40k on the clock and is one of the very first 2.0 TDIs registered, still seems nice and tight, few interior rattles and buzzes depending on the weather. I think the good thing about this model is that it's a very competant all rounder out of the box but still has much scope for improvement. I like the fact that it blends into the background too, but with a few subtle enhancements can still cut the mustard.

Anyway at 80k I don't see why it won't handle a remap, it's got to be motorway mileage so the engine shouldn't have been too stressed. £11k seems around the going rate but depends on whether you get a very good p/x price. There are a hell of a lot of 2.0 TDIs about so haggle hard and don't be afraid to walk away. Bear in mind the model is coming up for three years old now so there's going to be a lot of cars coming to the end of their leases early next year and onwards which WILL affect the resale prices so don't go for a high miler if you are doing a lot of miles yourself as at 100k it will be hard to shift on unless very cheap.

Re-map wise, as at the mileage you're well out of factory warranty I'd go for a cheaper option like Upsolute www.ccctech.co.uk as you don't need it to be switchable. Jabba, C-C etc is fine if you're going to go for other mods and want a custom tune for those mods.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've got a September 04 (54 plate) 2.0 TDi which I have had from new (company car). I have now done just over 75k in it (not mainly motorway miles due to living in Lincolnshire and having to visit customers spread all over the place, plus living 40 miles from my office!)

I still think the car feels like new (although if I actually drove a new one I would probably notice the difference...). I still love driving it every day, and spend about 4 hours a day in the car. It is nicer to drive, and a nicer place to be than my previous car (Bora TDi 130) - the engine is much smoother, and pulls all the way through the rev range, although I guess you have found that out if you have had a test drive!

I have had a few problems over the 2 and a bit years that I have had it, all repaired under warranty (even the most recent, at 73k). One of the most major was a head gasket modification which apparently was an upgrade release by VW, due to some oil in the coolant! This was due to take 8 hours, and ended up taking 3.5 days! Other than that, nothing too major has gone wrong - even got some new wheels under warranty at 50k due to corrosion on all 4 of them - nice!

I would have to say go for it, although as said previously, if you are doing a fairly high mileage yourself, just think about how many miles it will have on it when you come to sell it, and what that might do to the resale value.

Al

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You both raised a very valid point regarding the mileage. I do in the region of 13-15k a year and i would be looking at keeping the car for a good while once i have it so an 80'000 mile example would probably end up with 130+ by the time i come to sell it. I am very much in 2 minds but its a very good idea to wait until early next year and see what happens to values, and see if any good ex fleet cars hit the local dealerships. I'll just add that i am contemplating buying an RAC warranty if i do buy this car so i believe this will be affected by the map, hence why i considered Revo. The revo torque delivery looks much better than rivals too from what i have seen!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I looked at the revo map but decided that the superchips was better and i had previous experiance with them. You could wait until next year but you will probabl get a better deal this side of christmas, sales tend to pick up in the new year. Have a look in the classifieds on this forum, you might find better examples at cheaper prices, if I decide to sell mine I might put it in here. Having said that I'm not sure I could be doing with the hassel of selling mine privatly.

If you are interested in a fleet car then have a look at auction, you will pick something up for a good few grand less than retail. Oh and don't be put off by distance for the sake of a cheap air ticket !

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers mate. One of the main reasons i am so tempted by this deal is the guy is offering to throw in 2 years RAC 5star warranty for free, which seems like a good deal to me. basically for the car he is wantin my CTR (53 plate with a/c, 33k mint condition) plus £1000. I am getting more and more tempted by the minute! Sorry for all the questions by the way fella's but i really need to feel like i'm not making a mistake gettin shut of my CTR!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Don't get too hung up on the warranty, most of them really ain't worth the paper they are written on. Have you had the CTR valued elsewhere ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haven't had the CTR valued anywhere else but he has more or less said he'd give me 10k for it today. Which i think is a bit of a bargain. Looking around at prices i might only get another £500 private, its not worth the hassle. As for the warranty, it has been good to the other 3 members of the family, hopefully it will be the same for me!

What to do.......

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you think the deal's good, and it sounds okay to me, you might just have to bite the bullet! I think that's the cheapest I've seen a warranted 2.0 tdi.

Sleep on it, though you may not get much sleep tonight thinking about it! I know the feeling well.Go and have another look at the car just to make sure you're doing the right thing first though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You sound like you understand mate! lol. Thanks, i'm gonna go and have another look around tomorrow and decide then. Trouble is i'd always wanted a CTR, then bought one and now i'm faced with having to let it go. Huge dilemma for me lol!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well, I'll be the last person to give rational advice about buying cars as I seem to chop and change like the weather lately.

mk5 TDI with re-map, bigger alloys and perhaps a GTI steering wheel would compensate for a CTR though!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish i could try a re-mapped 140. Do any of the revo/bluefin dealers have a mapped 140 demo car? That might be the persuading factor!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts