Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey....new user who not a dub driver yet but looking into a mk4 golf as my next car...

thing is i dunno what engine to go for....

due to limited funds for insurance (i.e. i aint payin more than 1200 for it), i am now trying to decide between the 2.0 115BHP GTi or the 1.9 TDi 130 model....

either will be tuned, and from what i can see i can put the dual system from www.thedervdoctor.co.uk on boost the 130 t0 about 170BHP and 378 Nm......along with a possible few others....

what would be the informed dub head choice on this?? GTi or TDi??

cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
GT TDI every day. The 115 bhp Mk4 lost the soul of the Golf GTI. Don't forget that you will need to tell your insurance company if you have it remapped (even if they can't tell). It's entirely your call, but I know of two people who have been caught out and received ZERO on a total loss claim because the car was remapped.

HTH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GT TDI every day. The 115 bhp Mk4 lost the soul of the Golf GTI. Don't forget that you will need to tell your insurance company if you have it remapped (even if they can't tell). It's entirely your call, but I know of two people who have been caught out and received ZERO on a total loss claim because the car was remapped.

HTH
not the GT TDi.....just the TDI 130 block....the GT TDi's are 150 aint they??

all mods are always declared...fcuk risking someone else writting me off then my insurance (or theirs) pointing out the remapping aint declared and refusing to sort anything....fcuk that

cheers for the opinions tho...keep em comin

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Pretty sure you can get a GT TDI in most engine specs at some point over their lifespan? These are GREAT cars and a hoot when remapped.

Get a diesel, more power, more to a gallon and better residuals. Also get some decent brakes and a rear ARB.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not the GT TDi.....just the TDI 130 block....the GT TDi's are 150 aint they??
eh ? am confused now..GT TDis weren't only 150s, no
prob not tbh but the 150 GT TDi all i've seen...

but like i said i aint yet a dub head...give it time tho....

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
The GT TDI came in the early 110bhp models non pd ones and the later gt
tdi's were the 115/130/150 bhp, but realistically the 150 is the only
gt tdi out the lot of them even though the 115/130 are both great to
drive, out of the three i'd choose the 130bhp one and it has a nicer
smoother turbo kick in, if you what i mean, unlike the115bhp veriosn
which when you hit 1800 rpm the power just kicks in at once.

HTH

Sat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone know how the 130 drives after a remap tho??....the u/g i mentioned in first post would be going in it straight away so dont really matter how it drives standard!!

cheers

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I know what you are getting at but its very difficult to tell people how a car drives on paper ( well, on the road but ...). I've never driven one and I understand that the mkv is a different car altogether - much smoother

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Good point, well put Damian - he's better off having a spin in someone's tbh... endless posts with opinions likewise to mine will just confuse matters!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Go and have a drive in both. After that you won't even have to ask the question. The 130 is leagues ahead of the terribly underpowered 2.0.

I drove the 2.0 and the 110bhp TDI back to back when I was deciding which model to go for and the 110 was in a different league to the 2.0. The 130 is another league to the 110, so there is absolutely no comparison.

2.0 gives worse performance by a mile and worse fuel consumption. It has no redeeming features IMO.

Oh, and the 130 lump ONLY comes in GT TDI spec. It's the same spec as the 2.0GTI, the 150TDI is the same spec as the 1.8T GTI.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Good point, well put Damian - he's better off having a spin in someone's tbh... endless posts with opinions likewise to mine will just confuse matters!
true..whereabouts are you Horgan ? Maybe some kind soul will take you out for a spin. Thats what I did last week - I drove to Birmingham so that I could let a forum member have a go in my car as he was considering a re-map. Now he's sold on the idea[:D]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Oh, and the 130 lump ONLY comes in GT TDI spec.
Not really mate as my brother sonny was going to buy a tdi se which was
the 130pd lump but not with the gt trim spec before he baught his gt
tdi 115bhp model.

Sat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, and the 130 lump ONLY comes in GT TDI spec. It's the same spec as the 2.0GTI, the 150TDI is the same spec as the 1.8T GTI.
seen a few advertised as 130 GT TDi and a few as 130 TDi

dad drives the passat TD1 130...(defo not GT), so is this engine only available in passats, or is there a golf equivelant, and are the advertisements wrong?

need to know as insurance even gave me quotes on 130TDi/GT TDi and can afford what they said to be the 130 TDi, but the GT TDi quotes were much higher??

confussed now!! lol

·
Registered
459 Posts
A remapped GTTDI PD130 will prob end costing the same as a standard 150 1.8T GTi on insurance you know. Don't understand the insurance cost link if your gonna go straight for a re-map unless your not declaring the mod,.... which you said your not so ... ermmm .... ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A remapped GTTDI PD130 will prob end costing the same as a standard 150 1.8T GTi on insurance you know. Don't understand the insurance cost link if your gonna go straight for a re-map unless your not declaring the mod,.... which you said your not so ... ermmm .... ?
asked them for quotes....got them....asuming the difference between standard and remapped for each quote would be the same..hence the comment... :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good point, well put Damian - he's better off having a spin in someone's tbh... endless posts with opinions likewise to mine will just confuse matters!
true..whereabouts are you Horgan ? Maybe some kind soul will take you out for a spin. Thats what I did last week - I drove to Birmingham so that I could let a forum member have a go in my car as he was considering a re-map. Now he's sold on the idea[:D]
in scotland...north (but not that far north) of edinburgh in FIFE....

anyone local??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts