Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what I stated in the title really and if anyone reckons it is any good? I spent about 5 hours on my car today and will be doing some more tommorow, however, most weekends it gets a wash. This flash system would be alright for those weekends when just a standard wash is in order IF it actually does what it says it does.

So, any comments on this? Anyone actually used flash on their car yet?! I know they have got you once you have bought it with refils etc, but is is worth it? Sorry if it's been posted before.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have used it & was so appauled at how rubbish it was I ended up taking it back & getting a refund! The water just trickles out of the end of it (& we have quite high water pressure) & as for the shampoo part of the procedure that's just laughable. Nothing like it shows on the tv advert. My advice would be don't bother. Stick to some good old fashioned elbow greece!!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yer don't seem worth it somehow! I was just looking for that nicer spotless finish on those weekends when you have other thigs to do!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The fact that it de ionizes water should reduce the water marks and
save having to dry the car. I know of some window cleaners who have a
water treatment plant in their van and use it to wash big glass fronted
buildings. They just use a long brush to wash and just rinse off. When
it dries there are no marks whatso ever. The theory is that it should
work but i haven't tried the flash system

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Didn't think window cleaners used de-ironised water, more 'super clean' water or de-mineralised.

The de-ironised on the fly through the hose seems laughable, how can it work?

Similar to those little coils of wire that go round your water pipes at home that claim to soften your water, how can they work ?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Just wondering what I stated in the title really and if anyone reckons it is any good? I spent about 5 hours on my car today and will be doing some more tommorow, however, most weekends it gets a wash. This flash system would be alright for those weekends when just a standard wash is in order IF it actually does what it says it does.

So, any comments on this? Anyone actually used flash on their car yet?! I know they have got you once you have bought it with refils etc, but is is worth it? Sorry if it's been posted before.
I used this once and was appauled by it, the auto dry just doesnt work, so a real dissapointment, and it has no pressure at all it's like the water is treakling out. [N][N][N]

·
Registered
689 Posts
I for one am GLAD it doesnt work!

Ive posted on here loads of times advising people not to buy it!

Yeah the de ionised water doesnt dry dirty but the price of the capsules I'd rather use a chamois!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Yer don't seem worth it somehow! I was just looking for that nicer spotless finish on those weekends when you have other thigs to do!
Wash the car as per norm & then use some mEgs NXT Speed detailer, you'll end up with a "just waxed" look, trust me [Y]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jace, yer that's good, but your still then detailing and not giving it just a wash, which sometimes you don't have time to do!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Didn't think window cleaners used de-ironised water, more 'super clean' water or de-mineralised.

The de-ironised on the fly through the hose seems laughable, how can it work?

Similar to those little coils of wire that go round your water pipes at home that claim to soften your water, how can they work ?
The Flash system does produce de-ionised water 'on the fly' but there must be an optimum water flow through what I would imagine is a mixed-bed ion exchange mixture present in the Flash cartridge. Too fast a water flow would result in some water emerging not fully 'purified' and therefore I would have thought that the Flash gun would have a restrictor to control the water flow through the cartridge such that the efflux water was fully de-ionised and thus able to allow the car to dry blemish free.

Anyway that's the theory and I would imagine that in many of our very hard water areas a cartridge would not last very long time. In practice the gun needs to provide sufficient de-ionised water to displace and replace the ordinary water/shampoo on the surface of the car before the latter has a chance to dry out?

This system is quite unlike the home mains water treatment devices that have a coil surrounding the incoming main water pipe and are invariably working on some 'electro-magnetic' effect if indeed they work at all.

[:D]

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've used it twice and have been quite happy with it; but it's performance clearly varies dependant on water pressure and water hardness. TBH the water is quite hard where I live but the cartridge seems to work ok. I've noticed another gadget being sold by some shops eg B&Q that is a simple ion-exchange unit connected to an outdoor tap. Maybe this would give a greater flowrate of water.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Matt, that sounds more interesting. I don't mind washing the car with a sponge and a bucket of soapy water, just want something to spray it down with so I don't have to them chamois over aswell. Just for when I'm in a rush and the car is dirty as I can't stand it dirty!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought the flash gizmo the other weekend to give it a go.

The water pressure round our way isnt great,but the gun worked okay. The shampoo they give you with the set is wierd though, it doesnt foam up at all.

We ended up washing the car with regular wash and wax car shampoo,then used the flash gizmo to rinse off,then set to "auto dry" to apply de ionized water to the car which,fair play did dry spotless with no water marks at all.

The "auto dry" function is just like a fine mist though,so you need to get all the suds off the car first with just regular tap water,then mist over the whole car with the "trick" water.

There's a big hozepipe filter for sale in the back pages of the big car magazines that produces pure water,it's more robust,but a bit pricey.

cheers.J.J.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts