Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month or so ago I dipped my toe into the wonderful world of torrents, got a bit scared about some suspect software and promptly withdrew my toe. As it turned out (after much work) it was all a false alarm. The client I used was Azureus and the whole process was easy. I could upload and download, not a problem. My share ratio was good.

I've decided to give it another go and installed Azureus again but I constantly get a very poor share ratio due to it showing that I have a NAT problem, basically saying I'm firewalled. Can I get around this? No I can't! Azureus is on the 'exceptions' list in my Windows firewall settings, I've even added the port again to the list of exceptions but still no joy. When I've tested the port it comes up as open. At first I thought it was my router so I've gone back to my modem (I'm using it now) and the problem is still there. I'm tearing my hair out here! The wierd thing is that when I was using the router my laptop had no problems at all with torrents, I just didn't have any luck with my desktop.

I'm running XP SP2 and my ISP is Virgin Net. My router is a Netgear DG834g v2 and my modem is a Speedtouch 330. That shouldn't really be relevant though because it happens whichever I use. I'm also NOT using the Azureus default port.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...and I've just found out that if I turn off Windows firewall then Azureus still shows me as firewalled [:cool:]

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried taking the router out so you just have modem to PC?
That's what I'm saying. I had all these problems, thought it was the router and went back to the modem. Same shit! It's obviously something on my PC but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Anyway, off out now because it's our 3rd wedding anniversary. I expect a solution by the time I return [:$] Go for it Gary!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Well if your Router/Modem has a firewall built in id just turn Windows Firewall off fully anyway, its not much cop and is just a pain.

What you'll have to make sure is that when you forward the ports for Azuerus through your router to your PC, that your PC is assigned a static IP address and not just getting one via DHCP every time its switched on, obviously if its changing IP all the time, the rule you setup for the ports isnt going to correspond with your IP address.

For the record, im still sticking with version 2.2.0.2, because i had nothing but problems with later versions - mainly shockingly bad memory leaks and NAT errors when my network is setup perfectly well.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem is I'm not using a router. I'm using a modem. And it doesn't have a built in firewall.

Originally I was using a router and I thought that was the source of the problem hence the switch back to a modem.

Re: the forwarding ports thing. I can find lots of help if I was using a router (not that it did any good when I was) but nothing about modems.

[:(]

·
Registered
103 Posts
have a read on www.portforward.com

it will explain ho you set your router up to allow torrent files.? I use Bitlord.? Didnt like Azures as its Java based.

Bodley
Yeah I hated Azureus too, too processor hungry due to being java based.

I switched to ABC - Another Bittorrent Client and not had any problems, so much more simple.

That does solve your firewall problems though, no idea on that front.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Change the port number that azureus use in the program setings. Some ports/port ranges are blocked by many trackers.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Change the port number that azureus use in the program setings. Some ports/port ranges are blocked by many trackers.
I use a very high port number, something between 49000 and 55000 etc

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And the prize goes to......................(drum roll).....................................

Bodley!

Please collect your Argos vouchers from reception [:D]

What I appeared to need was LvlLord's TCPIP.SYS patcher. I'm not going to pretend to know what it does but it appears to have worked. Well, it's working now anyway.............

Oh, and here's something interesting from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrobates_azureus

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a side note guys if you are downloading stuff from a dubious copyright stand point it might be an idea to run peer guardian while you are running your P2P and torrent clients:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

http://phoenixlabs.org/<o:p></o:p>

Its an application that blocks access attempts from IP addresses that are suspected as trying to monitor what you are doing. By default it starts with windows but i have set it so it only runs when i am using P2P and torrent clients.........better safe than sorry<o:p></o:p>

If you already know about it or dont like it no bother, just through i would flag it up for those who dont<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
downloading stuff from a dubious copyright stand point
Don't know what you mean mate! What actually happened was that I bought a CD/some software/a DVD/errr.... and when I got home I found that it was scratched/faulty/broken/errr... and it was just a bit of a faff going back and exchanging. As an owner of the original copyright material I just thought it would be OK to have a back up of my original purchase. That's my story and I'm sticking to it [:)]

Anyway, all by the by because it's still playing up and I'm going to throw the whole damn PC out of the window as soon as I've finished typing this [:mad:]

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right. Cracked it.

Using TorrentSpy everything is A-OK. Green lights across the board even on the most basic settings and no faffing with ports.

Using TVTorrents was the problem.

Why would my success or failure depend on what site I was using? Shame really because TV Torrents is really user friendly and TorrentSpy is a bit of a mess.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Right. Cracked it.

Using TorrentSpy everything is A-OK. Green lights across the board even on the most basic settings and no faffing with ports.

Why would my success or failure depend on what site I was using? Shame really because TV Torrents is really user friendly and TorrentSpy is a bit of a mess.
Very strange Rich, last night I grabbed Lost S2 E20, 24 S5 E20 and Prison Break E20 and my download speeds didnt drop less than 350kb/s and climbed as high as 400kb/s. Really impressed!!

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Can anyone help me with BitLord?

D/L Lost ep20 last night and got an average of 6kb/s. My mate got 200kb/s average and GaryM 350!

I'm using port 6334 and forwarded it on the router (Linksys WAG354G, the same as my mates) and Windows Firewall is off. My isp is F2S which is the only difference I can see as he is on Wanadont (oh and im on full 8mb and he's on 2!). I know all the settings are the same as I told him what to put in the router! What port do you use Gary?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right. Cracked it.

Very strange Rich, last night I grabbed Lost S3 E20, 24 S5 E20 and Prison Break E20 and my download speeds didnt drop less than 350kb/s and climbed as high as 400kb/s. Really impressed!!
Stumbled over a potential fix here http://www.infowares.com/tvt/

I'll try it later but it does seem a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I use port 50500, better to go high as most ISP's throttle the lower ports that are common with P2P filesharing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts