Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think VW TDI engines sit too low in in the vehicle?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I have a standard Bora TDI 130 PD, every time I go over a speed bump it catches on the sump guard. I always thought one day something?s going to hit it hard. <o:p></o:p>

That day was yesterday, I was driving along a quite road, it was quite foggy as it has been quite recently, suddenly I see a half broken breeze block in the middle of the road.......<o:p></o:p>

hmm....., can't dodge it as there are cars on both sides of the road..... lets try braking...... it was icy...... BANG.......didn't stop in time. (maybe should have accelerated). Stopped to check under the car, saw oil pouring out, turned engine immediately.<o:p></o:p>

Outcome, a hole on the sump, oil all over the road.<o:p></o:p>

There are roadworks on that stretch, probably where the block came from, don't think I can do with the hassle of claiming from the council.<o:p></o:p>

Bottom line, I think this engine sit too low considering it's not lowered. Will find out tomorrow if there is any further damage.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I agree they do, especially the PD engines. My car is also 30mm lower and it is a constant worry.

Suppose I've been lucky so far.

We really should sort out a proper group buy on the Diesel Geeks panzer gaurd, problem is, it's from the USA !.

Saying that I'm sure if there was enough interest, we could jointly commision a sheet metal company to make a batch for us.... hmmm there's an idea?

Gutted for you by the way ! [:(]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Its a problem with modern crash and pedestrian regualtion, the bonnet and struts must have certain clearance so that if you hit a pedestrain the bodnnet has room to absorb some impact before you hit something dense like a an engine....

unfortunatley its also making all cars look the same IE the mk5, pug 307, new honda accord, everything has to be wedge shaped

·
Registered
148 Posts
Totally agree.

Our GT TDI 115PS is a joke. Stock suspension which looks like a dune buggy, yet the slightest of bumps and it grounds.

Approx 1" raised man hole cover on an unmade road and I can hear it scrape even at crawling speed.

The speed bumps where everyone else puts wheel each side, we have to slow right down and align a wheel to go over to get the clearance.

Nothing hangs down I have checked, but the actual clearance between engine under cover and the road is pathetic.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
This was covered in a recent volkswagen driver magazine, which had a fitting guide to the vw metal sump guard. In the article some of the clearance issues are put down to the dampers being of a too low rating allowing the vehicle nose to drop significantly on braking making the situation worse. mind you as above I scraped the undertray in the wifes standard passat last night in the local station car park because it had one of those metal poles lying flat

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
After nearly 2 years of owning my PD 130 I have not had an issue with grounding, those little speed humps I drive over with a wheel at either side and nothing, occasionally get my front valance scrape but thats to be expected (the GLI one sits stupidly low, below the level of the undertray) Perhaps its a mileage related issue when the dampers start to become worn? Have to admit with me wanting to lower it a sump guard does sit high on my list of things to do, any idea which the best one to go for is? Main hitch its having to take it off to service the car (sure VW will love that n charge $$$)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Interesting point.

Our car only has 54K miles, so I would not expect dampers to be worn, but I have to say the front does possibly sit lower than I would expect, especially compared to the rear.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My Leon is the same too....the state of sump guard is shocking. Nowdays
I am really scared I take it very easy over humps going over them only
one side.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Me too, in my standard PD150 Bora, any speed 'pillow' and the guard scrapes, I really dont think worn dampers is the problem unless your going over the bumps at speed. I approach these bumps at 4-5 mph and if I straddle them then *scrape*, but I've learnt to put one side of the car over the centre of the pillow, uncomfortable ride but it saves the engine!

I've already had to replace the main guard and one side 'hanger' at a cost of ?160, just for a couple of bits of plastic!! If I'd known of the metal ones from DiesalGeek or Fred Tdi pages in the States I'd very seriously thought about importing one. I would be very interested if a British Company could make them (hopefully at a reduced cost) or perhaps a group buy.... But its too close to Xmas at the moment to be thinking of forking out another ?200!!

I know VW do a metel sump guard for the 1.8T but not sure if its compatable with the TDI's.. Are there any VW tech's/stores peeps on the forum that could have a troll through ETKA and find out????

Here's a few links that I sent Neil Birkitt at VW Driver, he might include them in next months issue??

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/skidplate.html

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/index.html

http://pics.tdiclub.com/pdf/Skid%20Plate%20Installation%20How-To.pdf

http://www.dieselgeek.com/Categories.bok?category=Skid+Plates

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
i believe eurotek were looking into producing ali sump guards, the article does say petrol only (anyone know why, thought the engines were relatively similar in size & location)

part numbers are if anyone's interested

skid plate 1j0 018 930c

2x bracket 1j0 018 885a

3 x retainers 1j0 018 967a

3 x buffers 1j0 018 977a

2 x M10 bolt n90 870 401

7 x M10 bolt n10 070 403

7 x M10 Threaded inserts n90 810 601

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the response guy's. I have even more bad new, fitted a new sump, everything was fine for about 4 miles, then lots of white smoke started coming out of the exhaust along with oil. I suspect a blown turbo. This is all I need before christmas.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dont panic yet!! It might be one of the intercooler hoses popped off, the impact could have loosened one and subsequent vibration pulled it off! Especially if it was followed by an extreme lack of power.

Check all their connections, especially the bottom one just next to the sump guard!.

Happy Christmas mate (hopefully not an expensive one?!)

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I agree they do, especially the PD engines. My car is also 30mm lower and it is a constant worry.

We really should sort out a proper group buy on the Diesel Geeks panzer gaurd, problem is, it's from the USA !.

Saying that I'm sure if there was enough interest, we could jointly commision a sheet metal company to make a batch for us.... hmmm there's an idea?

Well i have been thinking about this for my V6 and if anyone has the corect mesurements then i have a VERY good company that could make these out of either stainless or thick alu with the airvents in

could be a plan?????

Andy

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
definately sounds like a plan. might try and measure mine when its on the ramp at midland VW.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
my standard 1.4 ride height is hugh and i hit a massive block of standstone and it ripped all the lambor sensors ect but my engine was fine

ricky- if you car scraps over speed bumps the standard height, thats abit worrying. i can fly over in minem i dont tho.lol

i would get it checked out. it doesn scrap on my lane tho the strut things by the rear wheels very low and they scrap

only cos my lna eis like this
________--------------------------------------________
if you get what i mean

·
Registered
384 Posts
i got it checked by a few garages...they said they couldnt find anything wrong, we have really high speed bumps - i guess that could b the problem.

i didnt go to VW as i didnt want to pay ?41.50 just for a mechanic to look at the car for 15mins.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts

Well i have been thinking about this for my V6 and if anyone has the corect mesurements then i have a VERY good company that could make these out of either stainless or thick alu with the airvents in

could be a plan?????

Andy
My car will be up on a ramp hopefully between now and new year, so don't mind taking a measurements from my diesel geek guard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thats brilliant, a good start, what about the bends and angles?... any good with a protractor [:p]

Goes this guard come with the 'stanoff' mountings etc, they'll have to be added to the equasion

Happy Christmas folks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts