Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Anyone seen these before?

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  glen1.8t 
#1 ·
Any of you guys seen these before, i bet you have!

Posted Image

See less See more
#4 ·
and the winner is russell,had both doors done under warranty,but the passenger door went again this week!,when the warranty repairs were done i was told that they had put the new ali parts in so that it would'nt happen again,so i went to the dealer who done the work today to buy the re-pair kit and do the work myself as they wanted ?170 to do it,the parts guy told me that you can only buy it as a regulator,which we all know is crap,so i left the dealer in question and drove 25miles to the same dealer but in another town and bought the kit for ?30!,as you can see the clips that had gone again were the good old crapstic oops plastic ones so icalled the dealer to be told that under warranty they will use the stocks of the old plastic ones to get rid of them, but in my eyes they are fitting the plastic ones on warranty work knowing that they will go again so next time the warranty will be out and they charge you the full wack for the ali re-pair kit

#7 ·
Quote: posted by wallacel on 18/09/2004 18:43:11

Yep, had it happen to me twice on the passengers window, vw kindly replaced them the 1st time with the same crap platic clips, lasted a few months then put the metal ones on myself. Much better, just waiting for the drivers side to go now.[xx(]

i aint the only one then[:D]

#8 ·
I did think that you only had to remove the door card and perform the task through the two round rubber bungs in the metal membrane,but you have to remove the membrane completely as to get to the runners and cables which attatch to the clips, easy job though if anyone needs a hand to re-place them give me a call and i'll put the kettle on and get the tools out ready

#19 ·
Passenger side failed about 18 months ago, the same day my car was returned after it had been repaired through insurers because someone had backed into it, luckily they left the details so it went through their insurance. Phoned repairers straight away and blamed them however they had to get the insurers to authorise the repair as he knew golfs had this problem. Phobbed them off with "what a coincidence this happening the day you bring the car back and that being the door you repaired", short story got it fixed for free.

Today open the window and you guessed it, driver's side window fell in the door. Get home and with the help of a vw manual start dismantling the door to find both plastic clips broken. Drive down to the dealers with the door tied to the A-pilar since I had already stripped everything including the lock to buy the clips to be told that they're not in stock and are back ordered for a few weeks now and that they're expected on the 14th OCTOBER!!! Goes ahead and asks if I want to order one to which I asked what am I meant to do with my car for 3 weeks. He says that no dealer in the group has them (Wayside) and then he suggests the regulator at ?75+vat 3 times the cost of the repair kit! He slips up and tells me that they sell about 4-5 of the repair kits a week! Thats at least about 200 people from that dealer with this problem in a year! Not to mention the poor sods that have to pay for the regulator kit on their advice.

Next up phoned citygate watford who said the same thing but would knock off about 10%. After phoning about a dozen dealerships and losing my rag a few times finaly struck it lucky in city vw in london

who will gladly take my money tomorrow (?32.60) to go towards the pension fund of the german biffs that designed the regulator clips.

I learnt from all the phonecalls that vw uk can't keep up with demand for these repair kits with at least 3 uk dealerships and I mean the whole franchises not just the individual dealers having backdated orders.

Everyone owning MK4 golfs with plastic clips better stock up asap because soon you never know they may soon stop producing the kits then the regulators and then the kind dealer will offer to sell you a MK 5 golf instead!!!

VW forgot to put a disclaimer on the windows of the golfs saying "we can't be held liable for any problems that may arise once you've opened the window i.e. it may not close again".

Q - When will I buy another vw?

A - When they're taken over by toyota!

Sorry to have gone on guys but just neded a release and my thoughts go out to anyone out there looking for one of these kits, good luck

John

#20 ·
I feel for you john, i think the least vw could do is charge for the re-pair kit and fit for nothing due to the extent of this problem,maybe a call or e-mail to mr clarkson from topgear maybe neede,maybe they could get a response from the tv as to how many people have had to have this problem sorted out i the past

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.