Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am in the process of converting my PC into a Microsoft Media Centre (MCE 2005) and just need the Microsoft remote to finish it all off.

Posted Image

I can get to the Tottenham Court Road pooter fairs tomorrow or the one in Croydon on Sunday if there is a good chance of finding one of these.

Cheers

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Why don't you consider investing in a universal remote? I'm going to
get a Logitech Harmony 885 asap, sure its ?150 but its a damn good
remote.

·
Registered
261 Posts
These things are becoming as rare as rocking horse doo doo I'm glad I got mine when I did, I have seen somewhere that makes an internal receiver, and If I'm not mistaken, the Xbox 360 remote will work with it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Why don't you consider investing in a universal remote? I'm going to get a Logitech Harmony 885 asap, sure its ?150 but its a damn good remote.
Hi Nik

Will these remotes work well with the panny plasmas and most AV kit ?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Why don't you consider investing in a universal remote? I'm going to get a Logitech Harmony 885 asap, sure its ?150 but its a damn good remote.
The Harmony's are good but are a bit of a nightmare to program, I have a 655 & a 525 they work most of my equipment but have big problems with my Panasonic LCD I can't get the TV to turn on and s electing different inputs which work via the coloured buttons on the original handset has got me completely baffled.

Also consider saving yourself a couple of quid by buying a lower model eg the 525, all Harmony's work in the same way via the same online database, yes the 885 does have a nice colour screen with icons but it's not going to do a lot more than the 525. Spend the money you save on DVD's they will give you more enjoyment.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've decided to go for a completely integrated approach [^o)] Once my new-build MCE PC is up and running I should have Freeview TV, Digital satellite, DVD, DAB radio, iTunes, Divx movies all grouped in one place and controlled by the MCE remote. So I can relegate all those boxes to the spare room. I know I'm going to suffer in terms of picture and sound quality compared to dedicated component systems but at the grand old age of 28 I figure my eyesight and hearing ain't getting any better [:D]

C

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've decided to go for a completely integrated approach [^o)] Once my new-build MCE PC is up and running I should have Freeview TV, Digital satellite, DVD, DAB radio, iTunes, Divx movies all grouped in one place and controlled by the MCE remote. So I can relegate all those boxes to the spare room. I know I'm going to suffer in terms of picture and sound quality compared to dedicated component systems but at the grand old age of 28 I figure my eyesight and hearing ain't getting any better [:D]

C
Just built a MCE and runs off the xbox 360 . No loss in pic signal.

How you gonna get SAT and Freeview working in one box, MCE doesnt like mismatch of cards

·
Registered
794 Posts

C

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Any good universal remote takes some programming but compared to the
Philips Pronto the Harmonys are a doddle. I think you just have to
learn to understand exactly what's going on with them as they can do
most things.

The Harmony 885 is about ?150 - the most expensive in the range but cheap compared to many universal remotes out there.

·
Registered
261 Posts

C
Why do you say you will loose picture and sound quality? If you have the space, I would recommend you rip your CDs using WMA lossless, that gives you an exact copy of the CD at full quality. As well as playing of the MCE machine, I also play my music over a ROKU Soundbridge, and tests have shown this sort of config sounds better than most top end ?1000 CD players! Additionally I have ripped all my DVDs to my hard disk (with no compression whatsoever) and I tell you what they, look a darn site better than my SD330E. I must admit Freeview doesn't look as good as it should, though I only use that for recording shows, I have Sky and watch everything on there.

Now that I have got the xbox 360, the plan is to put that in the bedroom and use the MCE extender funtionality to watch and record TV and watch the DVDs that I ripped, should be good!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Still dont think you can have DVB-T and DVB-S cards in one MCE box.

I have 2 sweetspot DVB-T cards but you cant add DVB-S for a third or fourth card

DVB-T and DVB-S is a mis match

I could be wrong but I dont think so...

·
Registered
794 Posts
When you have it running check out the free webguide 3 software for windows MCE

I can access my guide from the SPV C600 smartphone ....

Sat in the pub and get your freeview to record....

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
bbdivo - what did you use to rip the dvds with no compression as Im doing something similar. Im assuming you didnt just make a disc image?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I used DVD decryptor to copy the discs, I can't remember the settings I can check when I get home.  I have MCE setup with the MY DVDs option enabled. What this does is allow me to list all the DVD's with the cover art and details of actors, etc.(A bit of a pain to get working correctly but really impressive when working)  Ripping the DVD this way also gives me the full menus etc.  If I want to watch a DVD from my collection all I do is fire up the MCE and browse through what I want to watch and just hit play!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yeah, im doing something similar but using divx to compress the file but obviously I lose the extras etc. What Ive done is build one main pc as a 'server' with large storage capacity and then have the MCE's connect to it via wifi and  stream the movies. would be interested in what settings you used on decryptor though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts