Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put extra lights on the front of a Golf ?

I'm after tips on the wiring- particularly if there are any redundant wires in the loom that I can use for connecting them up (to operate on main beam).

I've already fitted the lamps to the front of the car and I'll post pictures soon.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There is a switched live that is only live when the engine is running in the fuse box - It is intended for a tow bar.

I would like to see some piccy's because I can't imagine what your lights would look like... I don't think it would be my cup of tea - Too Cooper-esque!

HTH.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Know what you mean about Cooper-esque. I hope it's not like that.

Plan is to post pictures when I can also show what difference the extra lights make (3 Lucas 20-20 driving lamps if that helps).

Several technical issues to overcome- wiring the lights, taking good pictures and then posting ........ Expect them 2007->

Cheers,

Andrew

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you go to http://www.bosch.se/content/language1/downloads/Extraljuskatalog_2005_SW.pdf you can see a silver MkV with 2 Bosch driving lamps that looks like mine, except that I've fitted 3 lamps and they're Lucas.

So not really the same, but you get the idea.

Mounting is the same as mine- bolted on behind the number plate and no visible marks when they're removed.

There is also a great Cooperesque picture of a Cooper with 3 blue lamps. Priceless !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the pictures and, before anyone says it, I know I need to clean up the middle lamp.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
They are not my cuppa tea at all. It looks like you have xenons... So the question is, why bother??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Xenons are dip only so they're great for close up, not so for distance. I hope to take some night pictures through the windscreen dip only/dip and main/dip, main and spots to illustrate the difference. So far it's been worth it for me. As winter draws in the value of the extra lights will increase.

As far as I know, if the extra lights are symmetrical, then they're OK. I've tried to check on the Web, but the info available wasn't easy to sift through.

Taztam- you beat me to it with the pictures. Thanks for your efforts.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Xenons are dip only so they're great for close up, not so for distance. I hope to take some night pictures through the windscreen dip only/dip and main/dip, main and spots to illustrate the difference. So far it's been worth it for me. As winter draws in the value of the extra lights will increase.
Ok fair enough. I can understand the safety aspect of them. I'm not liking the style of them though. Winter is a long way off at the moment... [H] I hope! It would be good if once you have done all the wiring you could wire in a plug system so these lights would become plug& play, then you could remove them and re-fit them easily for winter months. is that the plan or are they a permanent fixture on your car?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words Baker 21.

I actually got the idea from travelling in Sweden and I bought the light bracket over there. I persuaded a Swedish colleague to come with me to an automotive electrical shop to translate for me. From what I remember it was quite hard work since she didn't know much about cars and understanding the English words sufficiently to put into Swedish (even if she knew the Swedish equivalent) took a while. Of course we'd chosen the only place in Sweden where no-one spoke English.

The part number for the bracket is in the Bosch catalogue link given above. Bosch don't seem to supply them here- no demand I guess.

I had thought about using a lamp-pod for plug n play, but that seemed very expensive, had potential to damage the car (current set-up comes off and the only holes are behind the number plate) and the beams would be need to be aligned every time they were fitted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Expecting a tough winter up in Manchester this year then?!

Sorry mate, you haven't asked for anyone's opinion but as you've stuck pics up I'm going to have to say I'm not really a fan either. Looks good on the Scooby in that Bosch brochure but the Golf MkV doesn't really have a rallying image to go with the lights.

Just my opinion though, and it's completely up to you what you do to your car so well done for being different!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're right- each to their own. I was tempted by the traditional two up two down spot light layout and it may happen. Not sure if I'll put up pictures though...........

On the utility side, I do ~35,000 miles/year and I've got customers in Aberdeen and Penzance and all points in between so I do a fair amount of driving in the dark and increasingly a lot of it is off the major roads because congestion is getting so bad.

And I do watch quite a few rallies every year so I guess there's always that influence as well. Before I got the Golf, I was more interested in the A3 Quattro, partly because of Audi's rally heritage. Having said that, I also recall that the Mk1 Golf was a very effective Group 2 rally car (for those who are old enough to remember that far back. So just me then......... I'll get me coat).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not quite my cup of tea but nice to see a Golf that doesn't look like every other.

Are you sure your xenons are dip only? Mine most certainly aren't...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The xenons stay on when I use main-beam but they don't illuminate any further ahead. The standard main-beam lights are, I think, H7 halogen lights. They're good but the extra lights that I've fitted do add a lot- I keep meaning to take some night-time pictures and I'll get around to it eventually.

What the xenons do though, is make all the halogens bulbs appear rather yellow. I'm thinking about xenon auxillary lights, but at around 400GBP each (and the rest) it's a big investment, especially if some plonker can't park and wipes them out. Doesn't bear thinking about. There was a Golf at the Castle Combe trackday that had 2 Hella Rallye xenons fitted- I bet he can see where he's going at night.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hi mate, not sure if you have solved this now, cant be bothered to read through the posts to be honest, they have too many words, id check out mini2.com, as lots of new mini owners put after market lamps on their cars and im sure someone on there will help with wiring

1 - 20 of 24 Posts